It Could Always Be Worse [CONCLUDED]

MickeyWaffleCo.

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Posting reviews now. Results and the next prompt will come sometime later today or tomorrow!

Chapter Three, Project One
REVIEWS

@Brer Panther

I love the concept of this land. In fact, I've often wished that DCA had a Silly Symphony land. This captures that idea perfectly.

First off, you mention the square being adjacent to Fantasyland, but geographically, based on the constraints of the prompt, the land should be south of Discoveryland.

I like the medieval aesthetic of the area. It's a perfect match for many of the earliest Symphonies.

The meet-and-greet characters are lots of fun!

Big Bad Wolf Falls is an excellent landmark attraction. It would make for a good addition to DLP on its own, and it's even better as part of Silly Symphony Square!

Making Cookie Carnival an A-A show is a good choice. The theming of the theater is very Disney. I can imagine the use of Smellitzers to heighten the sensory experience even more!

The show itself seems like a nice accent attraction. It would've been nice to hear some more about speculative guest capacity and show length, though.

The Skeleton Dance is yet another lovely accent attraction. However, at this point I'm curious about how these attractions and shops would be laid out within the relatively small space provided. A map or general description of the land's layout would've been appreciated.

The shops are charming and accompany the rest of the land well, but I would've like a bit more detail on their styling, like you delivered with the Galley.

Dining-wise, a Cookie Carnival sweet treats stop is a must, and you didn't disappoint!

All three eateries are lovely, and I'd love to go to each one!

Overall, I loved Silly Symphony Square, but I would've appreciated just a bit more detail on some elements.

@ThemeParkPriest

Let's get started with presentation. While Slides is a good compromise between a Doc and a Site, I think you could have used the format a bit more effectively. Mainly, I felt like bullet points were a tad overused, and some connective paragraphs would've helped the thoughts flow a bit better.

I think this is a good choice of theme, however. While I'm not that familiar with the TV series of Big Hero 6, I can definitely see Disney going with this, as it is a relatively new and popular IP.

I'm glad you included that detail on similar distances to both SF and Tokyo! A fun fact!

That gate reminds me of DCA 1.0, but I still like it. 🤣

The map, while simple, does an excellent job of communicating the general layout of the land!

The ride vehicle reference images are excellent. I can easily picture the final vehicles you had in mind.

IJA is an excellent choice for a ride system, and one that is put wasted at Dinosaur in DAK. Indiana Jones does it right, and this attraction sounds like it would, too.

Though the images and captions do a good job at communicating the basic storyline, I (again) think more writing could have really helped make this attraction shine.

A PeopleMover! Automatic First Place! 🤣 I like how you mentioned a possible expansion to Discoveryland, as well.

The stores aren't too crazy, but are excellent accents to the main elements of the land.

The dining options are excellent. Noodle Burger makes for a perfect theme park restaurant, and Honey Lemon's Sweets is a great way to theme a sweets store and possible offer some interactive elements as well.

Overall, while your concept, theming, and choice of ride systems were excellent, a lack of detail in some areas may hurt you.

@Outbound

As always, Outbound, you're just killing it with presentation here. This looks fantastic!

From the first paragraph I'm already hooked on the theme. I love how it's fun and weird for young guests, but older guests can sense the slightly dystopian atmosphere.

I love this 50s/80s sci-fi aesthetic you've chosen.

A street show! An awesome way to add atmosphere to the land (pun intended) and make the area feel a little bigger than it is.

I love chairswings! This one sounds beautifully themed, as well.

Jippy Juice is a fantastic example of a relatively simple offering that is greatly enriched by hints at backstory. Disney did this with Galaxy's Edge, and you've taken it above and beyond with this land.

Space Safari is a fun... train through dark ride? Here's one spot where the in-universe style of the writing can be limiting, as you don't have a chance to explain some of the logistics-related aspects. Nonetheless, Safari's show scenes are very captivating, and imply a variety of physical and digital effects.

A tunnel for the DLRR! A lovely touch!

The Canteen is another excellently-themed restaurant. You've made me really, really want to visit this land.

Hyperspace Heist gives me subtle Smuggler's Run vibes, but it's still very unique and an excellent addition to the land.

This was a fantastic concept for a land, hindered only by a couple things. Excellent job!

@Tegan pilots a chicken

An indoor land! Unexpected, but it makes sense!

This land gives me some Imagination vibes, but it's still very unique in how you pursued the theme.

Art of Imagination is probably the most Imagination pavilion-esque, at least to me. However, the interactive vehicles immediately set this apart from the majority of Disney dark rides, and the scenes were well-chosen.

Professor Livewell does feel kind of... unnecessary? He appears at the beginning of the attraction, and then disappears for the most part, only coming back for one-liners. He just seems a little underused as a character, to me.

The finale scene is insanely cool!

Marvelous Minds is a nice walk-through, and an easy way to take a break and relax during a busy day.

The Science in our Sleep would be a fun short film, especially with the dream retellings interspersed with the educational parts.

Brain Food is an excellent name for a restaurant. I would definitely head to the third floor to enjoy my lunch.

The Professor Livewell meet and greet and entertainment elements are excellent to bring some more life to an indoor land.

The monorail is an excellent final touch.

Overall, this land would be an excellent unique addition to DLP, even with a couple echoes of Epcot's Imagination pavilion.

@TheOriginalTiki

This is a very unique concept, but it's lovely nonetheless. The relaxing, calm atmosphere, tucked away in the corner of the park, provides a nice break from the hustle of the rest of the park.

Mulan is a Chinese IP... in a Japanese area, as already mentioned. I won't hold that against you too much, though, as it's a pretty easy mistake to make.

The railroad going straight through the tree is... unexpected, but very visually interesting and fun.

Oooh a boat ride! Lovely! An excellent way to get a slow scenic tour of the area.

I like the idea of the show just looping throughout the day, so people can just walk in and out as they please.

A rock garden as well!

The fortune cookie factory is great! Custom fortunes and flavors alone are enough to make this a guest favorite.

A tea house is essential, obviously.

While nothing in this land particularly stands out as a "killer experience", the land itself is excellent, and a wonderful addition to the park.​

ThemeParkPriest

While Slides is a good compromise between a Doc and a Site, I think you could have used the format a bit more effectively.
The main reason I went with Slides was that it seemed like the comic book storyboard could be used in Slides (some school teachers use it). I got a little better with the comic strip near the end, but still have a ways to go!
While I'm not that familiar with the TV series of Big Hero 6
Honestly I wasn’t familiar with it either prior to this project. But I saw several people online say, “Great movie with a subpar villain.” I thought taking a major villain from the series would rectify that. Plus, it helped to avoid the “book report” style ride.

But thanks so much for all the thoughtful feedback!

MickeyWaffleCo.

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Chapter 3: Project 1
RESULTS

This was insanely difficult to decide. All five projects were some of the best of the entire season. However, ultimately not all of you can move on, and deciding the finalists came down to just a couple nitpicks.

The Semi-Finalists
@Brer Panther
Brer, your project was phenomenal, and it had a fantastic theme. However, the lack of a map or layout description, coupled with some missing details, was just enough to prevent you from moving on.

@ThemeParkPriest
Priest, your choices of a modern IP, underused ride systems, and fantastic eatery concepts helped make an excellent project. However, due to some of the limitations of your presentation format and some missing detail, you weren’t quite able to make the finals.

I’m very sorry to say goodbye to both semi-finalists. You guys did a fantastic job this season, and you should really be proud of everything you’ve accomplished.

The Finalists
@Outbound
With phenomenal presentation, backstory, and theming, Outbound has secured himself a place in the final round of ICABW.

@Tegan pilots a chicken
Tegan’s unique take on an indoor edutainment land would be an excellent addition to DLP, and has secured her a place in the final round as well.

@TheOriginalTiki
Tiki’s one-of-a-kind land is a peaceful, relaxing area that perfectly complements the rest of the busy park. He’ll be moving on to the final round as our third finalist.

MickeyWaffleCo.

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Chapter 3: Project 2
We've been called back to the Imagineering conference room, and this time Chapek looks incredibly serious.

"Alright guys," he says. "We've got a massive assignment we're tasking you with. You'll be in charge of designing the latest and greatest Disney Park."

"You're kidding!" cries @Outbound

"I most certainly am not," Chapek answers. "You guys will be the designers of a park that me and the Board have had in our back pocket for a while now... Snow White's Enchanted Wish Adventure Storybook Land Experience Park!"

Our group is collectively speechless.

"An entire park themed around Walt's first cinematic masterpiece! What a great way to pay tribute to the man who started it all, don't you think?" Chapek asks us, somewhat sentimentally. "Walt's been an inspirational figure for me all my life. I really want to do something as CEO that'll honor him for years to come, and I thought this would be just the thing."

"Alright, sounds great!" responds @Tegan pilots a chicken, but even Tegan's positivity can't put a good look on this.

As we exit the conference room, @Outbbound immediately calls Coulson on the communicator. "What do we do?" asks @TheOriginalTiki frantically.

"I think there's only one thing we can do," Coulson replies. "We need to change his mind."

Mickey Mouse Park

For this final challenge, your job is to design a new, small-scale Disney Park that honors Walter Elias Disney's life and legacy.

You do not need to detail your entire park. A basic outline of the park's offerings, coupled with details on a specific highlight land, are recommended. If your park is small enough that you wish to detail the entire thing, however, you may do so. The choice is yours.

DEADLINE:​

This project is due by Tuesday, August 31st, at 11:59 PM EST​

TIPS:​

• It's all you this round! You don't have a team to help you out, but that means you can really pour some of your own personality into this project!​
  • The sole requirement for this prompt is that your park pay tribute to Walt. How you do that is up to you.​
  • This park should be small! A small, intimate park to honor Walt Disney. Look at the size of Walt's original Mickey Mouse Park concept as an example.​

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
We've been called back to the Imagineering conference room, and this time Chapek looks incredibly serious.

"Alright guys," he says. "We've got a massive assignment we're tasking you with. You'll be in charge of designing the latest and greatest Disney Park."

"I most certainly am not," Chapek answers. "You guys will be the designers of a park that me and the Board have had in our back pocket for a while now... Snow White's Enchanted Wish Adventure Storybook Land Experience Park!"

"An entire park themed around Walt's first cinematic masterpiece! What a great way to pay tribute to the man who started it all, don't you think?" Chapek asks us, somewhat sentimentally. "Walt's been an inspirational figure for me all my life. I really want to do something as CEO that'll honor him for years to come, and I thought this would be just the thing."

"Alright, sounds great!" responds @Tegan pilots a chicken, but even Tegan's positivity can't put a good look on this.

As we exit the conference room, @Outbbound immediately calls Coulson on the communicator. "What do we do?" asks @TheOriginalTiki frantically.

"I think there's only one thing we can do," Coulson replies. "We need to change his mind."

Mickey Mouse Park

For this final challenge, your job is to design a new, small-scale Disney Park that honors Walter Elias Disney's life and legacy.

You do not need to detail your entire park. A basic outline of the park's offerings, coupled with details on a specific highlight land, are recommended. If your park is small enough that you wish to detail the entire thing, however, you may do so. The choice is yours.

• It's all you this round! You don't have a team to help you out, but that means you can really pour some of your own personality into this project!​
  • The sole requirement for this prompt is that your park pay tribute to Walt. How you do that is up to you.​
  • This park should be small! A small, intimate park to honor Walt Disney. Look at the size of Walt's original Mickey Mouse Park concept as an example.​
NICE!!!!!!

Disney Warrior

Mickey Mouse Park

At least it‘s not an entire park themed to Cats, Superman 64, Fortnite, or Cardi B…

spacemt354

Chili's
Chapter 3: Project 1
RESULTS

This was insanely difficult to decide. All five projects were some of the best of the entire season. However, ultimately not all of you can move on, and deciding the finalists came down to just a couple nitpicks.

The Semi-Finalists
@Brer Panther
Brer, your project was phenomenal, and it had a fantastic theme. However, the lack of a map or layout description, coupled with some missing details, was just enough to prevent you from moving on.

@ThemeParkPriest
Priest, your choices of a modern IP, underused ride systems, and fantastic eatery concepts helped make an excellent project. However, due to some of the limitations of your presentation format and some missing detail, you weren’t quite able to make the finals.

I’m very sorry to say goodbye to both semi-finalists. You guys did a fantastic job this season, and you should really be proud of everything you’ve accomplished.

The Finalists
@Outbound
With phenomenal presentation, backstory, and theming, Outbound has secured himself a place in the final round of ICABW.

@Tegan pilots a chicken
Tegan’s unique take on an indoor edutainment land would be an excellent addition to DLP, and has secured her a place in the final round as well.

@TheOriginalTiki
Tiki’s one-of-a-kind land is a peaceful, relaxing area that perfectly complements the rest of the busy park. He’ll be moving on to the final round as our third finalist.
Congratulations to the finalists!! And best of luck in the finale - which is a prompt that's very interesting and might be a fun idea to expand upon after the game ends in like a brainstorming thread or something.

TheOriginalTiki

sf.png

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
42998D89-EF0F-4F5C-B4ED-8D9D82694F63.png

DISNEY’S LONE STAR RESORT
A THEME PARK TRIBUTE TO WALT DISNEY

Built on a small plot of land southeast of downtown Austin, this quaint little park anchors a small resort that includes two hotels, a modest shopping district, and a classic style water park all packed together on a 60 acre plot of land. The theme park itself is 36 acres in size, roughly 1/3rd the area occupied by Disneyland Park. This resort is the first in a line of what Disney is calling “overnight destinations”, a resort experience that can be taken in over the course of a day or two, perhaps as part of a larger vacation, or even as a weekend or day trip. The resort’s small scale also lends itself to more affordable admission prices.

609A4042-A642-403C-A2DB-EDD8791F43E3.jpeg

Texas was chosen as the location for its reasonable yearlong weather patterns as well as proximity to the larger Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort.

B39F676F-D042-4CB5-ACF0-4021DE94845F.png

The park itself is divided into three main areas.
The entry point is Americana; themed to an early 1900s suburban fairgrounds. This theme is chosen to represent both where and how Walt grew up, as well as what inspired him to build Disneyland in the first place.

The western half of the land features a multitude of small shops and food stands selling a variety of traditional baked goods, sweets, and beverages. Attractions include a Ferris Wheel, Carousel, a classic Wild West Dinner Show (playing three times per day), and the loading station for the Carolwood Pacific Railroad, which winds up, down, and around the entire park.

The eastern segment of the land is dominated by a large body of water and nature trails. This is the site of the in-park camp grounds, making this the first Disney Park to truly allow guests to stay overnight inside the park. The campgrounds feature their own small entertainment that is exclusive to guests staying overnight.

To the northeast section of the park, guests will find the Animation Studios. This theme was chosen to showcase how Walt got his big break in entertainment.

This area is themed to a mid-century Hollywood studio, and features classic Disney dark rides based on Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, and Fantasia. These are the only dark rides in North America highlighting these three Disney animated classics, adding a special allure for park enthusiasts. These films were chosen for this reason, as well as the fact that Walt Disney was alive to oversee their production.

Additionally, this is the home of the Animation Academy, where guests of all ages and skill levels can learn how to draw their favorite Disney characters. Guests can then have their artwork framed complete with background cell.

Finally to the northwest is Worlds Fair. This land is themed to retro futurism, as found in forward thinking architecture of the 1960s-70s. This land is home to scaled down recreations of the four attractions Walt created for the 1964 New York Worlds Fair; Carousel of Progress, The Magic Skyway, Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln, and it’s a small world. This theme and subsequent attractions were chosen as they represent an important evolutionary period in Walt Disney Imagineering. This was the event which took Disney’s theme park storytelling to a whole new level.

The Carousel theater is about 75% the size of the one found at Magic Kingdom, and holds about half the capacity. The Magic Skyway is a much smaller ride than the original, and utilizes Test Track vehicles rather than full size automobiles. Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln uses a slightly smaller theater than the one found at Disneyland, and it’s a small world is also compartmentalized to fit within the smaller footprint of the park. It uses smaller boats, holding eight passengers each, and total ride time is around four minutes.

Finally, this land also features a version of the WEDWay Peoplemover, offering a brief, relaxing overhead tour of the Worlds Fair area.

Lastly, in the center of the park is the Castle Theater. There is a Castle in this park, but it serves exclusively as an icon, not an entry point. Inside the castle is a 200 seat theater featuring a 3D film based attraction themed to Steamboat Willie. The show begins with the classic black and white cartoon before the shenanigans begin and the Wonderful World of Color brings the story to life in a whole new way.

At night, guests are dazzled by a short nighttime show featuring fireworks, lights, and music.

Disney’s Lone Star Resort may be significantly smaller than any other Disney Resort across the globe, but it still has the Disney attention to detail and guest services that Disney Parks and Resorts are known and loved for. Should the resort prove to be successful, Disney would push through building more exciting “overnight” locations, perhaps in Toronto, London, or Sydney.

And much like Disneyland was the Genesis for Disney Parks around the world, Disney’s Lone Star Park and Resort will set the tone for what guests to those future destinations can expect.​

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom