It appears as if Magic Kingdom is the only dry park now

Prototype82

While i love root beer i would also love if they created a new beer...i would offer up a couple good micro brew places around the country to use. Four Peaks in Tempe, Goose Island in Chicago, Dogfish Head in Philly
I agree with you. It would be a great feature. Plus, I can't really imagine root beer being appropriate for the old french countryside. But maybe I'm wrong.

Flight Safety

Malibu + dole whip = awesome. :slurp:

This can be achieved! I have done it many times. Some people don't know this, but you can buy Dole Whip @ the Poly. :wave:

While we're at it, why don't we just throw out Walt's image for his park and allow cast members to have facial hair too?!?! And then why not some tattoos all over their arms, legs and neck? It will be like visiting the local mall! Woot!

Oh wait - check one off that list already!
:lol:

This! :so happy:

Can someone please explain to me how an adult enjoying a glass of wine at dinner, or a beer at Gaston's TAVERN ruins the magic?

This topic has been debated any number of times here, and this one is surely going to end in a thread lock, thanks to the puritans who believe that all alcohol is evil and we must "protect" people from it.

Explanation: There are a lot of people, and I mean a lot, that will abuse the fact that there is alcohol available in the park and proceed to get inebriated. Regardless, somethings are just meant to be that way. See the above quote for example.

It is Disneys choice to not sell any alcohol inside the MK and I respect it. As a drinker, and as posted previously, I find this very classy and if I want a drink, its not too hard to go to the Contemporary for a drink. As a matter of fact, its kind of a tradition of mine to take a break from the MK at The Outer Rim.

Disneyland doesn't have a Magic Kingdom. :D

There is actually only one Magic Kingdom.

Yup! :)

I believe that anyone would be legally drunk after drinking 6 beers.

Really? :brick: People just don't know how to be adults and use proper judgement.

I just knew this thread was going to turn into the alcohol debate. Its simple people, Walt started all of this. We should all respect that. We shouldn't praise him for what he inspired and created, and then decide to change everything. Once we do that, those same people who petitioned for the change will get very upset when everything isn't the same, and the experience Walt envisioned isn't there anymore. Simple as that!

Animaniac93-98

I just knew this thread was going to turn into the alcohol debate. Its simple people, Walt started all of this. We should all respect that.

Walt also sarted Club 33, do you respect that?

We shouldn't praise him for what he inspired and created, and then decide to change everything.

How is changing or modifying one policy, changing "everything"? You're slippery slope argument is flimsy at best.

Once we do that, those same people who petitioned for the change will get very upset when everything isn't the same, and the experience Walt envisioned isn't there anymore. Simple as that!

Er, no, not really. Is the experience Walt created not there at Disneyland because of Club 33, or in the rest of WDW? Everyday, people demonstrate that alchohol is not required to start rude or poor behaviour at Disney theme parks, but your argument implies that things will get substantially worse if it is sold in any capacity. Do you have a study to support that? Does Disneyland suffer a far higher number of guest complaints becuase of Club 33?

The very thing that killed Walt is smoking, but you can do that at MK and DL. That's far more disrespectful IMO to his image than drinking alcohol. More importantly, Walt's word isn't gospel that should be followed to the "T" 100% of the time. His successors have clearly done just this in creating both policies and attractions (Nothing I've read would seem to suggest the he would support Tower of Terror) and it hasn't really seem to hurt the business. Nor has it really hurt the "feel" of WDW IMO either.

No one here is suggesting beer carts be set up on park pathways, or creating a game out of "Drinking Around the Kingdom", heck I don't even drink! Haven't really found something for my taste yet, but I don't see how forcing others not to makes sense from a business or positioning point of view.

I'm also concerned with the logic of "alot". I do believe some would try to abuse the system, but how many is alot? 10, 20, 100? Out of how many tens of thousands of poeple who visit the park each day? Are they're not policies in place to deal with intoxicated guests? Your logic implies that if alchohol is sold it will cause additional massive park disruption without any control from Disney. I can't believe this would be the case.

Flight Safety

Walt also sarted Club 33, do you respect that?

How is changing or modifying one policy, changing "everything"? You're slippery slope argument is flimsy at best.

Er, no, not really. Is the experience Walt created not there at Disneyland because of Club 33, or in the rest of WDW? Everyday, people demonstrate that alchohol is not required to start rude or poor behaviour at Disney theme parks, but your argument implies that things will get substantially worse if it is sold in any capacity. Do you have a study to support that? Does Disneyland suffer a far higher number of guest complaints becuase of Club 33?

The very thing that killed Walt is smoking, but you can do that at MK and DL. That's far more disrespectful IMO to his image than drinking alcohol. More importantly, Walt's word isn't gospel that should be followed to the "T" 100% of the time. His successors have clearly done just this in creating both policies and attractions (Nothing I've read would seem to suggest the he would support Tower of Terror) and it hasn't really seem to hurt the business. Nor has it really hurt the "feel" of WDW IMO either.

No one here is suggesting beer carts be set up on park pathways, or creating a game out of "Drinking Around the Kingdom", heck I don't even drink! Haven't really found something for my taste yet, but I don't see how forcing others not to makes sense from a business or positioning point of view.

Wow, guess I ed someone off! :ROFLOL: Haha. Don't take it too personal buddy. I respect Club 33, but I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. Were firstly not discussing Disneyland. Were talking about WDW and I was referring to what he envisioned. You're absolutely right, alcohol is not required for people do act like , however it greatly accelerates it. I'm not saying anything will get substantially worse if alcohol is sold in the MK. What I am saying is that you cannot control people. People of all ages and types will abuse it, and you CANNOT limit the amount sold to one individual in a theme park environment. I don't need a study to support this, this is common sense. You must not have much experience around alcohol. Where ever it is, it will be abused. Again, were not discussing Disneyland or Club 33, and I never said that DL suffers from complaints because of it. Its a completely different argument. WDW used to have PI and I nearly cried when it closed. I am a drinker, as I have stated before. This is mostly a matter of opinion, however most people don't understand the simple fact of the matter is that once you introduce a slack in any policy, especially in an organization as large and complex as TDO, you're opening the door. Thats all I'm saying. While I am a drinker, I simply respect the fact that there is no alcohol in the MK and don't need it there in any setting to enjoy the park.

I completely agree with you about the smoking. It detracts from the magic. If anything, the designated smoking areas should be way more hidden to regular guest traffic, and they should be more strict on this policy. And for gods sake, move that smoking area from in front of Aloha Isle! But this is also a completely different argument. People don't get drunk, act obnoxious, shout obscene words, etc. after smoking. And yes, I know alcohol isn't required for this, but it is a very, very strong influence on this behavior.

No one is saying Walt's word is gospel or needs to be followed to the 'T'. But, this is different, and a lot more complicated than most things.

You may say "no one here is suggesting beer carts be set up on park pathways, or creating a game out of "Drinking Around the Kingdom", but regardless of what you think you know, this is exactly what will happen. Thinking otherwise is very naive.

No one is forcing anyone not to drink! There are hundreds of other places on property where one can find a nice drink. Im just saying that I respect that there isn't anything available in the MK, and I don't see a need for it. Again, this is all coming from someone who drinks. Regularly. :wave:

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I'm celebrating my 21'st birthday at Epcot, I will have my first legal beer in germany. After that I will see what the light parade looks like after a few. Do t worry I wont drink to much, I don't want to corrupt the parks any more then they have been.

Animaniac93-98

Wow, guess I ed someone off! :ROFLOL: Haha. Don't take it too personal buddy. I respect Club 33, but I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. Were firstly not discussing Disneyland. Were talking about WDW and I was referring to what he envisioned.

It absolutely relates to the discussion in both what Walt would have wanted (if he wanted a place like Club 33 at DL, why not WDW? I can't say for sure as specific plans for the castle park were not really made clear in his initial vision, but it doesn't sound too unrealistc an assumption), and how Disney gets around a traditional policy of prohibition in a Magic Kingdom style location (ignoring DLP, which sells alchohol everywhere for cultural reasons). Ignoring Club 33, ignores potential ways to handle concerns about levels of drunk guests while still making money off drink sales and provding an enviroment where some guests can in fact choose to drink within the park. On a seperate note, Club 33 gives Disney the chance to make money off membership and food sales and I'm suprised it's never been tried in MK, with or without alchohol.

You're absolutely right, alcohol is not required for people do act like , however it greatly accelerates it. I'm not saying anything will get substantially worse if alcohol is sold in the MK. What I am saying is that you cannot control people. People of all ages and types will abuse it, and you CANNOT limit the amount sold to one individual in a theme park environment. I don't need a study to support this, this is common sense. You must not have much experience around alcohol. Where ever it is, it will be abused. Again, were not discussing Disneyland or Club 33, and I never said that DL suffers from complaints because of it. Its a completely different argument. WDW used to have PI and I nearly cried when it closed. I am a drinker, as I have stated before. This is mostly a matter of opinion, however most people don't understand the simple fact of the matter is that once you introduce a slack in any policy, especially in an organization as large and complex as TDO, you're opening the door. Thats all I'm saying. While I am a drinker, I simply respect the fact that there is no alcohol in the MK and don't need it there in any setting to enjoy the park.

I'm not sying it won't be abused, I'm asking with what frequency will it likely be abused (for example, "drunk" rate per drink sales, if such a measure can be made) and is such frequency enough to justify the current policy? Same with controlling the issue. Does Disney believe the logisics of controlling the sale of alcohol and intoxicated guests are too great for MK? If not, then why keep the policy?

I'm not saying anyone needs alchohol to enjoy MK, you, I and others are proof of that, but it seems ridiculous to keep a tradition in place if there is little justification for it beyond it being tradition and assumptions of guest behaviour. If it is introduced and it doesn't succeed for the reasons you suggested getting out of hand, at least people like me can't complain about how they didn't try.

I completely agree with you about the smoking. It detracts from the magic. If anything, the designated smoking areas should be way more hidden to regular guest traffic, and they should be more strict on this policy. And for gods sake, move that smoking area from in front of Aloha Isle! But this is also a completely different argument. People don't get drunk, act obnoxious, shout obscene words, etc. after smoking. And yes, I know alcohol isn't required for this, but it is a very, very strong influence on this behavior.

I can't comment on the smoking areas as much (I don't really go to Aloha Isle), but it is a less disirable practice (now a days) that is accomodated in the park. You could argue the point too about second hand smoke, but I won't as they are designed to be controlled in some way and smoking doesn't cause the same behavioural concerns as you pointed out. I don't really care for them, but they're there for people who want to smoke. Nobody has to tell someone to go to Contemporary to do it.

No one is saying Walt's word is gospel or needs to be followed to the 'T'. But, this is different, and a lot more complicated than most things.

Is it really? Disney obviously doesn't think so for Epcot, a physically larger park with more options for drinking including an annual festival and year-round activity that even encourages it. I don't see any reason why it couldn't be handled at the smaller Magic Kingdom.

You may say "no one here is suggesting beer carts be set up on park pathways, or creating a game out of "Drinking Around the Kingdom", but regardless of what you think you know, this is exactly what will happen. Thinking otherwise is very naive.

If drinking was limited to TS locations only it would be hard to go from one place to another to get wasted. Especially given the prices and limited space of post-DDP WDW. Could someone have too many while in the restaurant? Yes, but they would likely have to stay in the restaurant to do so and be noticed much more easily by staff and customers as a result of being in that more contained setting.

No one is forcing anyone not to drink!

While in MK, Disney does. If you book a TS meal in MK it's kind of hard to "hop" to another location. This currently is partially the fault of whomever books a meal there, but it goes back to the policy put in place by Disney.

I understand what alchohol does to people, but that isn't my point. It's about how justifiable the policy is based on Disney's experience with serving alchohol in their parks. I'm sure many were concerned about Epcot opening with a new policy on the sale of it, and incidents have existed over the years to partially justify those people's concerns, but I just don't believe in the idea of prohibiton in general should be applied to such a specific place for questionable reasons. Dont kids go to the other park too? Has it really gotten out of hand there? Can't it be controlled better? I just want to know more details from Disney before I agree with the policy.

bhg469

This is just silly. Epcot has this behavior nightly because there are many many places to drink. Having adult beverages as an option at a few sit down restaurants will not have the same effect. The person having a drink at dinner is not the same as the dude bros pounding brewskies in the UK.

It sounds like you are biased against drinking anywhere.

On a side note I can't even afford to get drunk there nor would I want to spend $60 on a couple drinks to lighten the evening. It would be nice to have a cocktail at tonys though.

Flight Safety

It absolutely relates to the discussion in both what Walt would have wanted (if he wanted a place like Club 33 at DL, why not WDW? I can't say for sure as specific plans for the castle park were not really made clear in his initial vision, but it doesn't sound too unrealistc an assumption), and how Disney gets around a traditional policy of prohibition in a Magic Kingdom style location (ignoring DLP, which sells alchohol everywhere for cultural reasons). Ignoring Club 33, ignores potential ways to handle concerns about levels of drunk guests while still making money off drink sales and provding an enviroment where some guests can in fact choose to drink within the park. On a seperate note, Club 33 gives Disney the chance to make money off membership and food sales and I'm suprised it's never been tried in MK, with or without alchohol.

I'm not sying it won't be abused, I'm asking with what frequency will it likely be abused (for example, "drunk" rate per drink sales, if such a measure can be made) and is such frequency enough to justify the current policy? Same with controlling the issue. Does Disney believe the logisics of controlling the sale of alcohol and intoxicated guests are too great for MK? If not, then why keep the policy?

I'm not saying anyone needs alchohol to enjoy MK, you, I and others are proof of that, but it seems ridiculous to keep a tradition in place if there is little justification for it beyond it being tradition and assumptions of guest behaviour. If it is introduced and it doesn't succeed for the reasons you suggested getting out of hand, at least people like me can't complain about how they didn't try.

I can't comment on the smoking areas as much (I don't really go to Aloha Isle), but it is a less disirable practice (now a days) that is accomodated in the park. You could argue the point too about second hand smoke, but I won't as they are designed to be controlled in some way and smoking doesn't cause the same behavioural concerns as you pointed out. I don't really care for them, but they're there for people who want to smoke. Nobody has to tell someone to go to Contemporary to do it.

Is it really? Disney obviously doesn't think so for Epcot, a physically larger park with more options for drinking including an annual festival and year-round activity that even encourages it. I don't see any reason why it couldn't be handled at the smaller Magic Kingdom.

If drinking was limited to TS locations only it would be hard to go from one place to another to get wasted. Especially given the prices and limited space of post-DDP WDW. Could someone have too many while in the restaurant? Yes, but they would likely have to stay in the restaurant to do so and be noticed much more easily by staff and customers as a result of being in that more contained setting.

While in MK, Disney does. If you book a TS meal in MK it's kind of hard to "hop" to another location. This currently is partially the fault of whomever books a meal there, but it goes back to the policy put in place by Disney.

I understand what alchohol does to people, but that isn't my point. It's about how justifiable the policy is based on Disney's experience with serving alchohol in their parks. I'm sure many were concerned about Epcot opening with a new policy on the sale of it, and incidents have existed over the years to partially justify those people's concerns, but I just don't believe in the idea of prohibiton in general should be applied to such a specific place for questionable reasons. Dont kids go to the other park too? Has it really gotten out of hand there? Can't it be controlled better? I just want to know more details from Disney before I agree with the policy.

I completely understand, and respect your outlook and opinion on this, so I'm not going to dissect and argue here. Its all very reasonable. Its really not about having kids in the park. I just have the opinion of respecting their decision and really don't want to see people walking around the MK with a beer in their hand. It would just be weird to me. :wave:

Flight Safety

This is just silly. Epcot has this behavior nightly because there are many many places to drink. Having adult beverages as an option at a few sit down restaurants will not have the same effect. The person having a drink at dinner is not the same as the dude bros pounding brewskies in the UK.

It sounds like you are biased against drinking anywhere.

On a side note I can't even afford to get drunk there nor would I want to spend $60 on a couple drinks to lighten the evening. It would be nice to have a cocktail at tonys though.

Ugh. Naive. Firstly, you are wrong. I'm not saying the MK will turn into Epcot, as that is silly. Thinking that "The person having a drink at dinner" is only going to have 1 or 2 drinks is only thinking about one type of person. There are lots of people who will get hammered at dinner. Lots. Do you really think those "dude bros" that you referred to aren't going to take advantage of the fact that they can pound beers at Tony's Town Square? There will always be people that can't use proper judgement. I've been one of those people myself. I'm not saying your wrong about it would be nice to have a drink at dinner in the MK. I just respect the fact that that isn't an option, and don't have a problem with it.

Secondly, Im not biased against drinking anywhere. Read the whole post I wrote! I am a drinker, a very regular drinker. I visit the parks monthly, and have spent thousands on alcohol in the parks. That being said, I have a lot of experience in the parks, and I can't tell you how many times I've seen people who can't handle their alcohol. Not just at Epcot, but at all of the parks. This just doesn't belong at the Magic Kingdom. I have said this many times in this thread, but I will repeat myself again. I simply don't need alcohol in the MK, and respect the decision of not having any. Its always been that way, and I don't mind it. Everyone (myself included) always says "I this" and "I that", Disney can't base something like this on an opinion you have, or your own interests. You have to look at all of the possibilities, not just your own opinion. These are all opinions, and everyone has their right to one.

P.S. Epcot isn't the only other park with alcohol sold in carts, etc.

shmmrname

As long as there is added effort to avoid problems - I'm fine with alcohol anywhere in WDW parks. Though I'd prefer it at restaurants and bars, where it's clearly a separate experience. But, either way - I don't really have a horse in this race. I'll drink ocassionally in Epcot or for dinner, but I'm fine if I can't either.

flavious27

Just got back from Disney last night.

We all know you can buy beer at Epcot and walk around with it.
Now it appears that you can buy draft beer in plastic cups at DHS and walk around with it. There is a cart that sells soda and beer right outside of the Animation Studio archway and I saw empty plastic cups of beer sitting on the wall in line for Rock n Roller coaster. I remember one cart that sells Yuengling for $6.75 per cup.

I don't know if this is new, but they sell alcohol at one of the sit down bars just outside of the Tusker House at Animal Kingdom.

The hollywood derby has served wine since every.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom