Pre-Trip It’s not about Ryan Gosling, but there is a Gosling involved – A DCL Bermuda PTR

As professor Matthew McConaughey states, “alright, alright, alright,” let’s get this
Bermuda PTR party started!

Your eyes do not deceive you. Yes, it is I (or me – lol grammar) who will write or at least begin this PTR.

Here are the basics:

Who’s going on this cruise? Yes, you guessed it…me and @lostpro9het .

Again, the kid is not invited.

When is this amazing adventure going to happen? October 17 – 22

Where are we going? Bermuda. Yes, the same Bermuda as the Bermuda triangle.

Why? Well, why not? It’s our 21st anniversary. Plus, #tonyfromspain will be the club host. He’s been on our past 3 cruises (Dream and Fantasy), so it’s a nice treat for our 1st voyage on the Magic.

The itinerary:

We’re flying to NYC (to LGA – yes, I know it’s terrible) and staying in a hotel overnight. We do not want to chance a same-day flight. We’ll grab and uber/taxi to port the next morning.

October 17 – New York City – We’ve never been, so we’re pretty excited.
October 18 – At sea – this may be the Halloween day. We have costumes.
October 19 – Bermuda – Beach Day; We have a Gosling rum sunset cruise planned for the evening
October 20 – Bermuda – Pirate Night; We have a catamaran excursion planned; Palo dinner
October 21 – At sea
October 22 – New York City – we fly back home on this date.

We have no other excursions planned. Mostly, we’re winging it.

We have another aft stateroom. We really think this is the best location on the ships.

From what I’ve read, Bermuda’s pretty nice. I’ve looked up prices of things, and they’re quite high. I read that everything pretty much has to be imported. Think Disney prices.

We’ve received our luggage tags (it's a sad little folder now), but that’s really it. We’ve yet to really do anything for this trip. One of us will update when something new happens.

If you’d like to cruise with us, I’m sure there are plenty of staterooms left!

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
This is our intended beach (Horseshoe Bay) on our first day in Bermuda. I understand it can get crowded. I think we may be the only ship in port that day. If not, that's ok. We can handle the crowds. The sand has a faint pink hue, so I'm curious to see what it looks like in person.

We also may be hitting up this place:

What I really want to buy is some pink sand jewelry, so I'll need to research something that won't break the bank. It's really quite beautiful. I believe DCL has a make your own excursion (Craft Your Own Pink Sand Jewelry) for the super-low price of $389/person. What's crazy that if you are 5-9 years old, it's $239. I think it would be a lot of fun, but no.

LindsayLoves

This is our intended beach (Horseshoe Bay) on our first day in Bermuda. I understand it can get crowded. I think we may be the only ship in port that day. If not, that's ok. We can handle the crowds. The sand has a faint pink hue, so I'm curious to see what it looks like in person.

View attachment 411188

We also may be hitting up this place:
View attachment 411189

What I really want to buy is some pink sand jewelry, so I'll need to research something that won't break the bank. It's really quite beautiful. I believe DCL has a make your own excursion (Craft Your Own Pink Sand Jewelry) for the super-low price of $389/person. What's crazy that if you are 5-9 years old, it's $239. I think it would be a lot of fun, but no.

The Horseshoe Bay won't be crowded in October. The main tourist push is May - September.

Also don't fear LGA too much. I used to live 10 minutes away so it was my airport of choice for 15 years. It has gotten nicer with the upgrades, but it is still annoying that you have to take a bus to get to the cabs.

Have fun in NYC, don't get overwhelmed. Pick some things to do and leave yourself time to explore on your own. You'll have a great view of the Statue of Liberty as you sail out so don't worry about that. Sailing down the Hudson is my favorite sail away. The NYC cruise terminal leaves a lot to be desired FYI, it is a bit chaotic with passengers coming and those leaving. Pack your patience.

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
The Horseshoe Bay won't be crowded in October. The main tourist push is May - September.

Also don't fear LGA too much. I used to live 10 minutes away so it was my airport of choice for 15 years. It has gotten nicer with the upgrades, but it is still annoying that you have to take a bus to get to the cabs.

Have fun in NYC, don't get overwhelmed. Pick some things to do and leave yourself time to explore on your own. You'll have a great view of the Statue of Liberty as you sail out so don't worry about that. Sailing down the Hudson is my favorite sail away. The NYC cruise terminal leaves a lot to be desired FYI, it is a bit chaotic with passengers coming and those leaving. Pack your patience.

Thanks for the advice.

I do have a question about LGA and hotel shuttle service. Is it easy to find or will we need to take a bus to the shuttles as well?

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
Does anyone have experience at AT&T's international day pass? It's $10/day per device. We were considering using it in Bermuda. Both of us will have to do some work that requires the internet. We've used ship internet before and purchased the large pkg, which seems to be enough, but we'd also like to use our phones for texting, calling, etc.

LindsayLoves

Thanks for the advice.

I do have a question about LGA and hotel shuttle service. Is it easy to find or will we need to take a bus to the shuttles as well?

As for the shuttle service, I've never paid attention to hotel shuttles because I've always taken a cab or the M60 bus from LGA. I would call your hotel a few days before to find out where the shuttle is as things are changing week to week there.

Bermuda is beautiful, you'll have a great time. I like the vibe there a bit more as it isn't so tourist-centric, they have a real economy so they aren't as focused on tourists which makes it more laid back - less pushy.

lostpro9het

25 days out!

We booked this trip so long ago that its weird to have it so close and we've done so little to get ready for it so far. Usually by now we've got our supplies bought and readied but this semester has been a whirlwind of work. Since this trip doesn't have Castaway Cay in its sights I don't think I'll actually bootleg this trip and stick to wine and beer. This would be our first cruise where rum from home isn't a factor. But there will be beer...
Untitled.jpg

Our Beer Exchange surpassed 30 this week! This has the makings of my biggest exchange yet.

We still need to pull our luggage out and get our costumes out of storage. The trip hasn't really sunken in for me yet since we've been so busy but I am looking forward to some relaxation.

Epcotfan21

@lostpro9het so this is a bit crazy and goes to show how small our world has become as a result of social media and the internet.

My co-worker tells me today that she's going on a Disney Cruise in January and that she was invited to do a craft beer exchange while onboard. I laugh and say that's funny because I enjoy reading trip-reports from a guy on a Disney message board I go on and he's always hosting craft beer exchanges and I wonder if it's him. Sure enough she pulls up the group on facebook and it's you that's hosting!

So when you meet Melissa and her husband in January, don't give her a weird ‘you're freaking me out lady’ look when she reminds you of this story. Also, I made sure to tell her to bring the finest craft beer South Florida has to offer and none of the weak stuff.

Last edited:

lostpro9het

@lostpro9het so this is a bit crazy and goes to show how small our world has become as a result of social media and the internet.

My co-worker tells me today that she's going on a Disney Cruise in January and that she was invited to do a craft beer exchange while onboard. I laugh and say that's funny because I enjoy reading trip-reports from a guy on a Disney message board I go on and he's always hosting craft beer exchanges and I wonder if it's him. Sure enough she pulls up the group on facebook and it's you that's hosting!

So when you meet Melissa and her husband in January, don't give her a weird ‘you're freaking me out lady’ look when she reminds you of this story. Also, I made sure to tell her to bring the finest craft beer South Florida has to offer and none of the weak stuff.
That.....is.....AWESOME!

Sho'nuff, January is going down!
JanEx.jpg

The FB group is still growing and the exchange group will grow too the closer we get to departure time. Crazy small world! I'll be sure to have a good laugh with her and her hubby when I meet them. Just remind them that my loud and obnoxious facade shouldn't be feared as I'm just excitable when surrounded by beer friends.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom