ISTCrew's July 27th WDW Update

goofyguy

Patrick,

You didn't happen to grab a bite at the Plaza Pavilion yesterday did you? I only know you from pictures on this site, so I couldn't be sure, but I thought I recognized you.

Since I don't really know you though, I didn't want to just run up to a random person and say "Hey, aren't you that guy from the internet?"

peter11435

kammybug said:
Great update as always. What would someone from out of state do about the ID thing? They wouldn't know Florida law. I guess it's always better to carry it on you but everybody forgets something every now and then. Don't let him get to you. Again, great update. :)
Actually legally you would need to have the ID from where you live. They also say it is your responsiblilty to no the law of the places you visit. In other words not knowing the law is not viewed as an excuse. I don't agree with that however.

PhotoDave219

Two things Patrick -

Splash has been having all sorts of electrical glitches, or so ive heard through the grapevine.

The stage at MGM is for ESPN:The Weekend ... starting Saturday.

saltmom1

It's just anyone over 18 who has to have a photo ID with them, right ? Kids don't need them ? We are travelling with a 13 and 14 year old. Thanks for the great updates. No more Christmas shop in MK ? My husband will be devastated ! Now he'll onlky have the 1 in DD.:rolleyes:

Jeff D

Heh, the height of everest is going to be taller than I thought. I was up that way Sunday and on the way in (stay at in-laws off property) we drove by the construction entrance for everest on the side road off 192. You could get a clear view of it from there and see alot of detail. Actually when you trun on the road that comes in right by Animal Kingdom Lodge before you get to the light you could see it some more in good detail again. going to be hard to hide that one. Looking at it in the park it's huge!

Even though you should always carry ID if you have it the security guy was being a bit of a Jerk.

There is still a xmas store over by Muppetvision 3D at the studios.

Didn't get to MK and the news about the stage is disappointing. I really wish they would get rid of a stage there and start using the Galaxy theater for the music days and such.

Moustronaut

ISTCrew20 said:
Pretty soon, thunderclouds moved in,...and then, I feel water by my feet, and I look down, and the WHOLE seating area had been covered with 1 inch of water. I was like "It's alright...I'll just wait". 10 minutes later, that water got deeper and kept on coming. It literally looked like the whole seating area was sinking. The water was like, 3 inches deep, enough to cover a good portion of the chair legs.

Great update as usual!

The same thing happened to my wife and I at Epcot's San Angel Cantina. It cut loose raining one afternoon. We had an umbrella table so we really didn't mind. Then we noticed the clogged storm drain right by the fence around the lagoon was clogged... and the water was rising. It must have gotten at least 4 inches deep or so. So we made a run for it to get inside the pyramid.

peter11435

saltmom1 said:
It's just anyone over 18 who has to have a photo ID with them, right ? Kids don't need them ? We are travelling with a 13 and 14 year old. Thanks for the great updates. No more Christmas shop in MK ? My husband will be devastated ! Now he'll onlky have the 1 in DD.:rolleyes:
Ok just to clarify No Christmas shop closed. Patrick was talking about the one in DTD not in MK, however not that it closed but rather a photo op near it closed. All cristmas stores are still there.

barnum42

peter11435 said:
I don't know why, but it is the law in Florida that you must have ID at all times. But I don't know what was up with that guy, I can't seem to see why he would have cared.
That's a law that none of the tour operators from the UK tell us about! Outside of a passport many Brtions do not have photo ID (Photo ID driving licences have only been around for several years). So are all these tourists breaking the law?

will_hsv

ISTCrew20 said:
That "but" is supposed to be a by...The photo op is gone, the shop is still there.

Thank goodness that scared me. Our leaving the World tradition is to go to DTD and go to the Christmas Shop and get an ornament for the trip and one for each of us. The kids love picking out their own(of course so do I). Then when Christmas rolls around we get to remember our trip. I am not sure what my family would do if that store was gone.

wild01ride

barnum42 said:
That's a law that none of the tour operators from the UK tell us about! Outside of a passport many Brtions do not have photo ID (Photo ID driving licences have only been around for several years). So are all these tourists breaking the law?

Actually, you should use the passport as your photo ID in the case that you do not have a picture license. A passport is actually more highly respected as identification because of the fact that it is federally issued and requires a more thorough application process.

phlydude

But I see where Barnum and other non-US citizens are coming from. If you lose your passport, you are up the creek without a paddle. Good luck trying to get to NYC or Washington, DC to get to the consulate or embassy to get a re-issue without having a photo ID. I agree that you shouldn't have to bring your passport outside the room after you check-in until you leave.

On top of that, that security guard was on a power trip. He's probably a state police academy drop-out!

ISTCrew20

Original Poster
goofyguy said:
Patrick,

You didn't happen to grab a bite at the Plaza Pavilion yesterday did you? I only know you from pictures on this site, so I couldn't be sure, but I thought I recognized you.

Since I don't really know you though, I didn't want to just run up to a random person and say "Hey, aren't you that guy from the internet?"
LOL!!! That was me! I ate at the Plaza Pavilion because I wanted pizza and I wanted to see Cindy's Surprise Celebration. But yea, you should of said something. I always like meeting people from this site.

ISTCrew20

Original Poster
Just an update on the next update ( :rolleyes: )...

I should be going on Monday, so look for another update Monday night :D

The Christmas Shop at the Studios near Muppets closed about a year and a half ago. The merchandise has all been moved to the last shop on the right side of Sunset Blvd next to Beauty and the Beast. They say Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe was to small, but they have far less merchandise and no Christmas theming in the new location. It was one of my favorite places to work and costumes to wear. I will miss it. :mad:

PeeplMoovr

Thanks much for the update.

With all this talk about the ID law, can someone please point to the law so I may read it myself? I was under the assumption that ID was not required, and I'm wondering about the legality of all this. I'd like to read the actual law.

Thanks much!

Main Street USA

Thanks for the update, Patrick. Your updates always include the small stuff, (stuff us once a year people never hear about) and I appreciate being kept in the know! :)

ILOVEDISNEY

ISTCrew20 said:
Hey again everyone. I don't know what I did, but today was just not my day today. Everything seemed to be going wrong. As always, I started off at DTD. I was waiting for a bus to the Contemp. for nearly 50 minutes. Not to mention, my bus driver almost crashed the bus into the safety gate. After I walked over to the MK, the bus driver came up to me and said "You were going to MK...Why didn't you say anything". Anyway, lemme give you the updates, and I'll throw some events of today into the middle of it all...

At DTD...

--The only thing I could really tell that has changed is that the "Merry Christmas" photo op, but the 25 Days of Christmas shop has been removed.

The real updates start here...MK...

--The Splash Mountain gift shop has been changed. The register has been moved to the far, right hand side of the store. It used to be on the wall, just as you were coming out of the exit. It helps alot with guest flow, into and out of the store.

--Work finally seems to be starting on the SGE queue.

--The Tomorrowland Indy Speedway sign and roof are still gone.

--Some of the work on the side of the "Main Street Clothiers" building has been finished.

--Now work has been done on the Skyway Station yet (or atleast what I could see). They just drained the small waterfall/pond area about 2 weeks ago, and it is still like that.

--From what I can tell, 2 smaller (and weirdly shaped) stages will be built in the spot where the large Tomorrowland stage once stood.

--Tom Sawyer Island was closed today, and you could hear hammering all through out Frontierland. They seem to be doing alot of work on the load/unload dock on the island.

--Splash Mountain seems to be having some problems again. The hopping Brer Rabbit is no longer working, along with some other AA's that don't say their lines when they should (the sweeping bunnies). The Brer Bear audio was not working either, at the part where he says " *something* Just Bees". (Right before the "to the laughing place drop).

--"Frontier Trading Post" (the shop in Frontierland) has been completely remodeled. Now, it is a pin store. It used to be candy and food, but now, it's just pins pins pins. I asked the CM to be sure that I wasn't imagining things, but he said that they changed it about 3 weeks ago. He also said it has done PHENOMENAL, with that one store making $1,400 in just pin sales, the very first day it was open. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like the "Frontier Trading Post" sign has been stripped, and may come down, to make way for what the stores new name may be: "WANTED: Pin Traders".

After MK, it was over to AK...

Before I get to the updates, I want to share what happened when I got my bag checked. Since I got there at like, 1pm, there was no line to get my bag checked. I unzipped my bag, and walked up to the security guard. I put my bag on the table, and he started searching through it. He stopped halfway and said
"Do you have an ID?".
I didn't have my Florida ID, so I said
"No, I don't have an ID". Then he was all
"You are breaking the law. It is against the law to be walking around in the US without a full facial ID." Having just remembered I had my School ID and Universal AP (both with my picture and name) I told him
"I have my school ID, but not my Florida ID". He just said
"Ok, but you know you are breaking the law by not having a full facial ID"
I was like "Ok, do you need to see my school ID or anything?" and he replied
"nope".

I don't know what was up with that, but I have never had it happen to me before. The more I thought about it, the more it bothered me. I would of appreciated a reason of why he basically made an
@$$ out of me in front of everyone that piled up behind me. Anyway, here are the updates...

--The fake Gorilla cage Photo op they had at the exit of Kilimanjaro Safaris has been removed.

--Everest keeps getting bigger. The started rockwork on the front, aswell as the whole left side. You can also see the stairs that will be used in case of an evacuation. I also got some pictures from above the park, showing just how high Everest is compared with the Tree of Life.

--Speaking of the Tree of Life, I was walking to Asia from Dinoland (on the new bridge) and I noticed that a cell phone tower is visible right by the Tree of Life. I don't know if it is new or has always been there, but you can plainly see it and isn't really convincing when you are looking at a giant tree with a cell phone tower next to it. I don't think it is in the park, but backstage somewhere.

Pretty soon, thunderclouds moved in, and it started drizzling. I went over to the Flame Tree BBQ and sat in the seating area by the lake to wait the storm out. Well, it went from drizzling to pouring and thundering and lightning. I didn't mind it, I was the only person in that whole section of the park and I was just relaxing looking at Everest...and then, I feel water by my feet, and I look down, and the WHOLE seating area had been covered with 1 inch of water. I was like "It's alright...I'll just wait". 10 minutes later, that water got deeper and kept on coming. It literally looked like the whole seating area was sinking. The water was like, 3 inches deep, enough to cover a good portion of the chair legs. So I got up and ran for the nearest bathroom (the drip drip of the water had gotten to me). Pretty soon, I left and went to MGM...

At MGM...

Getting in there was like suicide. I slipped and fell 3 times because of the wet cement. Anyway, the updates...

--The San Francisco backdrop is complete (I'm almost certain). The construction wall was removed, and it looks great. I didn't have time to scour it our for Hidden Mickey's yet.

--A large stage was set up in front of the hat. A HUGE stage, with 2 tents, and 2 other booths on each side.

and that is pretty much it. I'll post (a BUNCH) of pictures soon.

Did you greet the guard with, "Allah Akbar!" Remember WDW is private property; they can ask you/request from you anything they want, whenever they want.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom