Isn't it well past time for new parades?

speck76

Original Poster
While WDW has done a decent job of building new attractions in the past year or so, all of the parades have been around for quite some time.

Share a Dream Come True, Mickey's Jammin Jungle, and Stars and Motorcars all had their debut in 2001 during the 100 Years of Magic Celebration......but that was 4 years ago....and with no new parades announced yet, I assume they will be around for a while longer.

Back in the 1980's, the MK would get a new parade every year. In the 90's, the MK had at least 4 daytime parades during the decade......

Spectro replaced the original MK MSEP in 1992, as the MSEP moved to DLP....yet DPL has replaced the MSEP (with Fantillution from TDL), yet MK still has Spectro....old WDW logo and all.....

MGM also had at least 4 parades during the 90's....

It would seem to me that parades are not a huge investment (compared to a ride) and they have HUGE exposure (given the large amount of people packing the parade routes daily.) If WDW wanted to create an attraction that appealed to almost everyone, this would be one of the few good areas to invest in.

DisneyRoxMySox

speck76 said:
Spectro replaced the original MK MSEP in 1992, as the MSEP moved to DLP....yet DPL has replaced the MSEP (with Fantillution from TDL), yet MK still has Spectro....old WDW logo and all.....

I thought it has the new logo now. Plus, I liked the old logo, I used to like caling it Retromagic.. :lookaroun

I thought the parades at MGM and AK, were just for the year they started. I don't really like them. Maybe Disney should look into new parades. Maybe they will think that guests will have enough of the charaxters that way, instead of adding more Meet n' Greets.

Intresting point, glad it was brought up..

DisKid

When I first read the title, my thought was...no...it seems like they just introduced new ones....

I guess time got away from me!! I didn't remember it was so long ago that they made their debut. It seemed like only last year!!!!

But, yep. With what you said, it seems like there should be a new parade...who knows...maybe they'll make a replica of the new Parade of Dreams seeing how they like to make replicas of everything for different parks.

Captain Hank

Agreed. I remember when there was a new parade each time we went, and they all seemed to be well done. Hasn't SADCT been around for about as long as the Remember the Magic parade? I always thought the whole SADCT snowglobe thing was a bit odd, but now it's getting more than a bit old. Stars and Motorcars seems like a half-baked, half-imagined parade. I can't comment on Jammin' Jungle, since I haven't seen it.

I think part of the problem is that most people don't come to a park to see the parade. It's a nice extra that most guests have come to expect, but few make a vacation decision based on a new parade, unlike a major new attraction. I hope we get a new batch of parades soon, but I don't think it's a top priority for Disney.

speck76

Original Poster
While a new parade may not be a draw to bring additional business, a new parade may keep people in the park longer, as they would be more likely to spend the time watching the parade.

Jammin Jungle is not bad....and if they did not replace it, it would not be a bad thing. DAK is not a "parade park" like MGM or MK

Mickey Maniac

I am getting tired os Share a Dream Come True, although it's excellent. I believe there's conflict with Disneyland's brand new parade though. Perhaps that's why they're waiting for another time. Let Disneyland have a moment in the sun or something like that?

Captain Hank

speck76 said:
While a new parade may not be a draw to bring additional business, a new parade may keep people in the park longer, as they would be more likely to spend the time watching the parade.
True.

speck76

Original Poster
Mickey Maniac said:
I am getting tired os Share a Dream Come True, although it's excellent. I believe there's conflict with Disneyland's brand new parade though. Perhaps that's why they're waiting for another time. Let Disneyland have a moment in the sun or something like that?

99% of visitors to WDW do not go to DL.....and probably do not know of their parade.....

Anyway....one problem with SaDCT is that it is missing its biggest float....granted due to a terrible tragedy, but the parade is now very lacking....

all the better reason to replace it

TheOneVader

I never watch the parades, so I don't care what they do with them. But I do have one suggestion, NEVER give Epcot another parade! It's too hard to walk around during the parade...

speck76

Original Poster
TheOneVader said:
I never watch the parades, so I don't care what they do with them. But I do have one suggestion, NEVER give Epcot another parade! It's too hard to walk around during the parade...

especially during Food and Wine........

Connor002

i guess its about time to get a few more parades

i always woundered what they do with the old parades, they don't necesaritly need to get ride of the old ones do they?

couldn't they just add new ones as well as the current ones?

speck76

Original Poster
Connor002 said:
i guess its about time to get a few more parades

i always woundered what they do with the old parades, they don't necesaritly need to get ride of the old ones do they?

couldn't they just add new ones as well as the current ones?

some get sent to other parks

Some floats get recycled.....some of the Christmas parade floats were former day parade floats....

The sets for Festival of the Lions King are from the LK parade at DL, from why I have heard

dxwwf3

I don't care too much about seeing the parades anymore, but they are a Disney staple and should always be there (At least in the MK).

I didn't care for the Tapestry of Nations/Dreams and Stars & Motorcars parades that much and I think Share a Dream is ok. I have never got around to seeing the Jammin' Junge parade, so I still have no idea how they pull off a parade on those narrow AK walkways. But if something were to come along as good as the Aladdin parade at MGM or the Remember the Magic parade at MK, then I would be interested in seeing them.

As far as nighttime parades go, I think it's hard to beat Spectromagic. I don't think it feels old at all right now. I could easily see it staying put for a few more years. But when it does come time for a replacement, it will have some pretty big shoes to fill.

But it is interesting to see that Disney hasn't updated the parades as much as in previous years. I personally don't think there needs to be new parades every 3 or 4 years. All of the current parades at the parks do not feel old to me. I would personally hope that Disney would spend money on giving some older attractions the TLC that they need. The Haunted Mansion and Carousel of Progress come to mind. Just my opinion though.

speck76

Original Poster
dxwwf3 said:
As far as nighttime parades go, I think it's hard to beat Spectromagic. I don't think it feels old at all right now. I could easily see it staying put for a few more years. But when it does come time for a replacement, it will have some pretty big shoes to fill.

I do love Spectro, but when you see videos of some of the newer night parades ( Disney's Fantillusion! at DLP, or even Blazing Rythyms at TDL (which is a different type of nighttime parade)....it could be better

I always thought Spectro should have sections changed out......keep the beginning units, and the ending units, but switch out some of the middle sections.....TLM, Fantasia, Sleeping Beauty......

dxwwf3

speck76 said:
I do love Spectro, but when you see videos of some of the newer night parades ( Disney's Fantillusion! at DLP, or even Blazing Rythyms at TDL (which is a different type of nighttime parade)....it could be better

Oh I agree. There is definately room for improvement, but I just PERSONALLY feel that there are bigger fish to fry. But hey if Disney wants to spend some money on a new nighttime parade, I certainly won't complain :)

imagineer boy

Man, those parades are OLD. It's definately time for all the parks to get brand new parades. Not to mention special holiday parades like DL has.

speck76

Original Poster
imagineer boy said:
Man, those parades are OLD. It's definately time for all the parks to get brand new parades. Not to mention special holiday parades like DL has.

The Christmas parade at WDW is pretty good....I really like it actually, although the costumes in the DL Christmas parade look better

Disneydreaming

I, for one, never want to see Spectromagic end. Its my all time favorite and it really is the essence of the magic of Disney. I would not mind seeing some retooling of the parade, adding some other character floats while "retiring" some of the others. But I would not want to see this wonderful parade come to an end.

As for the others, I don't have any one favorite, although I would love to see Remember the Magic come back, even if it were just for a special occasion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom