Islands of Adventure vs Magic Kingdom

Which is the better park?

• Total voters

Thepuma

These 2 parks just eventually comparable- the target age for both is about 20 years apart. For anyone over 20 without kids MK is very weak, it's mainly a young kids parks, whereas it's the opposite for IOA, there's not much for young kids/toddlers.

It would have been a much better poll had it been HS vs IOA

bhg469

Wait? You think people who come to Orlando on vacation would not go to the 2 (Soon to be 3 ) Universal parks just because they like Disney? Who knows but the majority of people come to Orlando to experience all the theme parks (where financially possible of course) so would be extremely surprised many would be that stubborn they would deny themselves/their kids the opportunity to do a Universal Park just because they are Disney fanboys/girls.
Oh i would bet money on it. The diehard fan is a tough nut to crack... People use the excuses of not liking the IP, even at epic universe, or there's nothing but thrill rides, or its not for families.. I went to HHN last night with a friend who is a a coaster fan, he doesn't care for theming or anything potter but last night in Diagon Alley he was just looking around and was really impressed at how everything looked, especially at night.

I have mentioned this in other threads but where I work, I pass the construction site every day for lunch.. Watching the construction go vertical has me really excited and I am definitely getting an AP when it opens. Currently we go to universal once or twice a year with a friends TM passes..

Thepuma

Oh i would bet money on it. The diehard fan is a tough nut to crack... People use the excuses of not liking the IP, even at epic universe, or there's nothing but thrill rides, or its not for families.. I went to HHN last night with a friend who is a a coaster fan, he doesn't care for theming or anything potter but last night in Diagon Alley he was just looking around and was really impressed at how everything looked, especially at night.

I have mentioned this in other threads but where I work, I pass the construction site every day for lunch.. Watching the construction go vertical has me really excited and I am definitely getting an AP when it opens. Currently we go to universal once or twice a year with a friends TM passes..
I'm sure their are 'some' bitter and sad people of course, but I'd bet a hefty wager if someone did a poll on here saying 'as a Disney visitor, do you refuse to go to Universal'..I bet it would be less than 5% who would say Yes.

I just can't believe anyone would cut their nose off to spite their face and refuse to go to arguably the best park in Orlando, just because they are Disney fanboys/girls/trans/bi/identify as cucumber etc etc

Last edited:

Jrb1979

I'm sure their are 'some' bitter and sad people of course, but I'd bet a hefty wager if someone did a poll on here saying 'as a Disney visitor, do you refuse to go to Universal'..I bet it would be less than 5% who would say Yes.

I just can't believe anyone would cut their nose off to spite their face and refuse to go to arguably the best park in Orlando, just because they are Disney fanboys/girls/trans/bi/identify as cucumber etc etc
You would be surprised at how many Disney fans have no interest in Universal. IMO there is a few reasons for that. The first one is not having interest in Universal IP. I think the biggest one is that the majority of Disney guests aren't ride people. Disney for many is the only parks they visit.

jloucks

I had to think about this for a little bit. I ultimately went with MK, but IOA is a great park and I visit almost every time I go to MK.

Thepuma

You would be surprised at how many Disney fans have no interest in Universal. IMO there is a few reasons for that. The first one is not having interest in Universal IP. I think the biggest one is that the majority of Disney guests aren't ride people. Disney for many is the only parks they visit.

I totally agree...but that wasn't the point I don't think...it was being discussed how many people would refuse to go to Universal under principal that it wasn't Disney.

I agree..the age demographic between Universal and Disney is completely different. Yes there's an overlap, but as a whole people go to Disney for kids stuff, either being young themselves or having kids. Universal on the whole is teenagers and above.

jloucks

I totally agree...but that wasn't the point I don't think...it was being discussed how many people would refuse to go to Universal under principal that it wasn't Disney.

I agree..the age demographic between Universal and Disney is completely different. Yes there's an overlap, but as a whole people go to Disney for kids stuff, either being young themselves or having kids. Universal on the whole is teenagers and above.
Well, yea, but I would expand this to any age that likes the Harry Potter universe. That age group eeks down into the single digits pretty far. 9+ I would say.

wdwfan4ver

It is not the case why for everyone for why going to Disney, but not Universal. Disney is known for tamer attractions than Universal. Universal has thrill ride reputation park and that is an issue with people with motion sickness, and some other medical problems such as dealing with the heart. I know it seems like Universal is trying to change that reputation based on the changed from Shrek to the Minion ride. We don't know all the Epic Universe rides for sure.

My parents back in the 2010s considered Universal, but went against it. Based on the youtube videos they saw, they were concerned with abundance of thrill rides due to their medical issues.

Thrill rides actually is an issue for my aging baby boomer parents from a medical standpoint. My dad can't do thrill rides because of medical history. He has a heart issue history by what I meant multiple things such as triple bypass, heart attack, and high blood pressure. Meaning a ride like velocicoaster is a no go for him unless he wants to end his life going on the ride. What I said about velocicoaster is also true about the upcoming Tron coaster for him.

My mom has a unseen auto-immune disease since the 90s. She has s condition that causes pain all over the body, fatigue, and other symptoms. Weather changes can cause it to act up even on rides that goes from hot to cold. How rough a ride is also can be a trigger point. She also can have motion sickness because she can't handle tea cups, but can handle Dumbo style spinners.

MickeyLuv'r

Internet Forums are a funny place.

I live within 2 hours of each. Have APs to both. I don’t personally know anybody that adopts the “I go to Disney so I’ll never step foot in Uni” mindset. Don’t personally know of anybody that considers Uni “the enemy”.

Just got back from Uni. Be at Disney in about a month.

But. Carry On. More Power to ya!
We go to both. I have certain l read that on the Disney forums quite a few times. I've personally know people who, while they don't dislike Universal, they only chose to visit one property, and it was Disney.

On the forums, responses I have read include:
1. Universal is all coasters/too many thrill rides/seems too scary.
2. Universal just doesn't appeal to me/us/my family.
3. Too much alcohol at US.
4. I am not into/don't like HP.
5. I'm nostalgic for WDW.
6. We know our family wants to go to WDW, it costs too much $ to visit both.
7. In the past- if we went to US we'd have to pay for transportation.

PLEASE do not debate me personally on these. I am writing simply to inform and answer the question posed. The above list is not my personal opinion.

bhg469

Wait? You think people who come to Orlando on vacation would not go to the 2 (Soon to be 3 ) Universal parks just because they like Disney? Who knows but the majority of people come to Orlando to experience all the theme parks (where financially possible of course) so would be extremely surprised many would be that stubborn they would deny themselves/their kids the opportunity to do a Universal Park just because they are Disney fanboys/girls.
I absolutely know that.. There are people on this forum that won't go just because the don't like the IPs that universal offers.. it doesn't matter that Hagrids is probably the most fun and entertaining ride in Orlando maybe the whole country. Some people just won't go there.

OrlandoRising

Magic Kingdom wins, in my opinion, but it's not a blowout by any stretch. I think Island's best attractions (VelociCoaster, Hagrid's, Spider-Man, and Forbidden Journey) are better than what the Magic Kingdom offers, but MK has a much deeper lineup of attractions beyond the headliners-- just resting too much on the laurels of older rides rather than continuing to innovate.

Islands also has two areas -- Toon Lagoon and Lost Continent -- that really feel like they need to be overhauled. I can't say that of any land in the Magic Kingdom with Tomorrowland getting a brand new ride in months.
Universal has thrill ride reputation park and that is an issue with people with motion sickness, and some other medical problems such as dealing with the heart.
Mission: Space, anyone?

Agreed. Last time I was at SeaWorld I enjoyed the short lines for all the coasters. I still think it's a shame so many don't give these other parks a chance

I was making this point in another thread, but people in the Disney bubble need to branch out, especially if they're complaining so much about Disney prices and a lackluster experience. They should especially try Knott's, Busch Gardens Williamsburg and Cedar Point.

Sir_Cliff

We go to both. I have certain l read that on the Disney forums quite a few times. I've personally know people who, while they don't dislike Universal, they only chose to visit one property, and it was Disney.

On the forums, responses I have read include:
1. Universal is all coasters/too many thrill rides/seems too scary.
2. Universal just doesn't appeal to me/us/my family.
3. Too much alcohol at US.
4. I am not into/don't like HP.
5. I'm nostalgic for WDW.
6. We know our family wants to go to WDW, it costs too much $ to visit both.
7. In the past- if we went to US we'd have to pay for transportation.

PLEASE do not debate me personally on these. I am writing simply to inform and answer the question posed. The above list is not my personal opinion.
I think there are plenty of Disney theme park fans who don't dislike Universal nor consider it "the enemy", but are just more fans of what Disney has traditionally offered at their parks rather than theme or amusement parks as a general concept.

It's probably a mixture of nostalgia, the emphasis on theming that has traditionally been greater at Disney parks, and a more charming, all-ages atmosphere that they feel at Disney versus other parks. The history of the parks also plays a big role in creating a sense of nostalgia and that they are somehow "special" places. Maybe also a connection to the Disney IPs that gives the Disney parks something of interest that other parks don't have. Could also be that Disney has traditionally relied less on thrill-rides and avoided things like exposed roller-coasters that give more of an amusement park atmosphere.

Honestly, I think I'm in that category. I have been to Universal in Florida, California, and Singapore and have no problems with going there or people preferring their parks to Disney. I'm also a bit over WDW at the moment and have no plans to return, but that just means I take vacations elsewhere rather than going to alternative theme parks. I don't know quite what it is that Disney parks have, but they are the only ones that can motivate me to travel to a place specifically to visit them rather than visiting a park because I happen to be nearby for other reasons.

So, in relation to this thread, I would definitely go to MK if I were in Orlando but only probably visit IOA if I had spare time, so I really have to go with MK.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.

I got some hopes for Great Wolf that is being built in Naples. I take a couple trips every year to just hit Hilton Orlando for a weekend. Great lazy river, good pool grub/bar. Icon is 5 minutes. It’s not ALL about Disney for me. GW might get me over to the SW coast a bit more.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

For us it always came down to time, it had nothing to do fandom, etc… we average one trip to Orlando every year and our vacation is generally a week long (including travel days) so there just isn’t enough time to do everything in Orlando.

This was the brillance of old Disney, they’d get us on site and then financially incentivize us never to leave by making it cheaper (per day) the longer we stayed. New Disney doesn’t incentivize us to spend so much time at the parks so we’ll be spending 1 day at each WDW park and then moving over to Uni rather than repeating parks.

The one thing I’ll say as a first time visitor to Uni FL is I’ve always heard how cheap they are compared to Disney but that hasn’t been my experience, hotels are comparably priced and tickets were even more expensive than Disney, I was shocked by what we paid because I was expecting to save a bundle by switching parks for a few days.

wdwfan4ver

Mission: Space, anyone?
I know about that ride, but you should know my point. There also is the fact Mission: Space has to different versions of the ride. One is tamer than the other. I first went on the Mild version of the ride in the late 2000s before Disney changed the mild version in the late 2010s. My point is WDW has more for the person with medical issues for amount of rides compare to Universal.

The fact is Disney has had a reputation of having a lower amount of thrill rides compared to Universal for years before trying to change that again. I know Disney is trying to change the reputation with the Tron Coaster and Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind. I also argue with Flight of Passage also.

I first went to WDW back in 1991 and my latest trip happened this year.

I went to Universal for the first ever this year also. This some truth to the thrill ride department with amount of rides a guests with Medical issues can do for Universal compared to Disney. I do think Universal is on the rise right now, and I do not agree with everything with Disney. I am able pull off more rides than more my parents potentially do. I am able to handle simulators better than Coasters. Everest has caused to feel wiped out after the backwards part. If a person feels wiped out from Everest, that says coasters that are less tame than Everest are out of the question.

It seems to me that you only mentioned Mission: Space because you don't like one park has attractions suited for people with medical problems. Also here is the thing with medical. Poseidon Entertainment released a youtube video that questioned if Universal has enough rides for younger kids, the elders, and those with medical problems.

This is the video I am referring to:

Jrb1979

I know about that ride, but you should know my point. There also is the fact Mission: Space has to different versions of the ride. One is tamer than the other. I first went on the Mild version of the ride in the late 2000s before Disney changed the mild version in the late 2010s. My point is WDW has more for the person with medical issues for amount of rides compare to Universal.

The fact is Disney has had a reputation of having a lower amount of thrill rides compared to Universal for years before trying to change that again. I know Disney is trying to change the reputation with the Tron Coaster and Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind. I also argue with Flight of Passage also.

I first went to WDW back in 1991 and my latest trip happened this year.

I went to Universal for the first ever this year also. This some truth to the thrill ride department with amount of rides a guests with Medical issues can do for Universal compared to Disney. I do think Universal is on the rise right now, and I do not agree with everything with Disney. I am able pull off more rides than more my parents potentially do. I am able to handle simulators better than Coasters. Everest has caused to feel wiped out after the backwards part. If a person feels wiped out from Everest, that says coasters that are less tame than Everest are out of the question.

It seems to me that you only mentioned Mission: Space because you don't like one park has attractions suited for people with medical problems. Also here is the thing with medical. Poseidon Entertainment released a youtube video that questioned if Universal has enough rides for younger kids, the elders, and those with medical problems.

This is the video I am referring to:

I've watched that while video. It makes sense for them to not chase those groups as Disney has that market cornered. I will also add as much as those with medical conditions and younger kids not being able to ride things, there is also many who don't do those rides either. Look at how many times Disney guests ask about drops on coasters.

I go onto a few theme park sites and never see that asked. I have said many times the majority of Disney guests aren't ride people.

Vegas Disney Fan

I will also add as much as those with medical conditions and younger kids not being able to ride things, there is also many who don't do those rides either. Look at how many times Disney guests ask about drops on coasters.

We love thrill rides but it’s a concern of both of ours, we often need to take it easy for a while after looping coasters, drop rides, etc… with so many thrill rides to do it may be a rough day on our bodies.

This is simple...

Under 10 years of age, it's MK
Over 10 years of age, it's IOA

I think it’s more bookended than that, Disney probably wins the 0-13 age group and the 40+ age group.

In my teens and 20s I would have absolutely picked Uni, Cedar Pt, etc over Disney because it was all about the thrills, now that I’m older I’m much more interested in just relaxing in the parks and enjoying myself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom