Islands of Adventure vs Magic Kingdom

Which is the better park?

• Total voters

Club Cooloholic

I just realized that this was Islands of Adventure, and not Uni Studios. Uni wins over MK because of Diagon Alley, and it's just laid out better.
I will give MK the nod over IOA when MK is whole, but without the train the last few years meh the park just feels a bit disjointed.

bhg469

Good for you..this is an opinion poll and thats my opinion. I'm not talking only about children, some people have older relatives as well who may not be able to handle it.
And it's my opinion that all families are different... Well that's not at all an opinion, that's actually a fact.

esskay

Voted MK but as someone who's got no interest whatsoever in big coasters:

- Hogsmeade is leaps and bounds ahead of anything currently in any WDW park (although SWGE comes close, but is far too small and lacking substance for such a large IP)
- Can't beat the MK classics (Splash, Thunder, Space) or atmosphere.
- IOA feels like half the park is awesome, and the other half is junk. The whole Marvel, Seuss and Toon areas feel extremely dated and in need of a replacement. My view is probably slightly skewed here as Dr Seuss isn't a thing outside of the US so means absolutely nothing to many people.

I think what makes IOA such a weird park is that if you're not into coasters, and not into US-centric B-rated cartoon characters theres only really Hogwarts and Jurassic Park that make any sense to you. Don't get me wrong, I like the park a lot, but areas do feel like they need a rework.

(oh and Mythos Pad Thai is absolutely amazing :p )

Probably worth noting my views here are based around going when everyone in the party is 20+ years old so obviously the stuff aimed at young kids like Seuss and Toon aren't going to appeal to us.

GustoGummi

Well since they ruined the Jungle Cruise, gave Cinderella's castle a tan my vote goes to IOA.
Seriously though, Islands of Adventure is the crown jewel of Florida (or even the East coast). 9 E-tickets, 8 themed lands, 28 attractions it has the best collection. MK is great but it's Disneyland lite at the end of the day.

Walt Disney1955

Arguably the 2nd best park in Florida is Islands of Adventure. 1st is still Magic Kingdom. I am not sure if it is trending in the right direction though. Splash is about to be gone and the train hasn't operated in a while. But the sheer volume of attractions wins here. IOA has some incredible theming though. Even Toon Lagoon has a feel to it.

OG Runner

I think the Magic Kingdom is better. Islands has a number of great rides and who doesn't like a Blues Brothers concert. Overall though the Magic Kingdom gets my vote. The overall atmosphere and a little talked about difference in the ride seats. No one in my family has ever
not been able to go on a Disney ride due to there size. No so in Islands.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
The fact that 15 out of 34 people on a Disney World FAN site voted for Islands of Adventure proves to me that it IS the better park.....

Ask me that 10 or 15 years ago, and I would have said otherwise.

JusticeDisney

The fact that 15 out of 34 people on a Disney World FAN site voted for Islands of Adventure proves to me that it IS the better park.....

Ask me that 10 or 15 years ago, and I would have said otherwise.
Uhhhhh, I think you mean 15 out of 50. 😉

In any event, even though this is a WDW forum, most people here have experience with both places and can and do objectively recognize both the good and the bad at WDW and Universal.

bhg469

Uhhhhh, I think you mean 15 out of 50. 😉

In any event, even though this is a WDW forum, most people here have experience with both places and can and do objectively recognize both the good and the bad at WDW and Universal.
I beg to differ... I don't believe for a second that a majority active members on this forum ever set foot in Universal. And if they did, it wasn't in the past 10 years

OG Runner

I beg to differ... I don't believe for a second that a majority active members on this forum ever set foot in Universal. And if they did, it wasn't in the past 10 years
Can I beg to differ, with your "beg to differ"? :D I do not comment on comparisons between the parks or attractions if I haven't
experienced them recently. I am scheduled to go to Universal over the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday and have been there within the
last two years. If you read my previous post, I do like much of IOA, but overall I feel the Magic Kingdom is a better park.

bhg469

Can I beg to differ, with your "beg to differ"? :D I do not comment on comparisons between the parks or attractions if I haven't
experienced them recently. I am scheduled to go to Universal over the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday and have been there within the
last two years. If you read my previous post, I do like much of IOA, but overall I feel the Magic Kingdom is a better park.
But I feel like you're the minority.. Obviously thats impossible to track but I don't think a majority of visitors to this site have been there.

JohnD

Two very different parks. Of the Uni parks, I like IOA better. Not as many motion simulator rides, although there are still several -- Kong, Spider Man, and Harry Potter being the three main ones. Harry Potter is different though. I don't feel jerked around that one as do in others. I really feel like I'm gliding. I like that one. Still, MK has more attractions than IOA so it wins.

OG Runner

But I feel like you're the minority.. Obviously thats impossible to track but I don't think a majority of visitors to this site have been there.
That sounds like a fair assumption. Is there a website, that includes these types of discussions done by Universal?

bhg469

That sounds like a fair assumption. Is there a website, that includes these types of discussions done by Universal?
Probably! I would imagine the results would definitely be skewed in the other direction there.. However I believe that most universal fans have absolutely been to both.

OG Runner

Probably! I would imagine the results would definitely be skewed in the other direction there.. However I believe that most universal fans have absolutely been to both.
Why? I know it is just your belief, but I am just wondering why you would think people who go to Universal would go to Disney, but people who go to Disney would not go to Universal?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom