Is Wonders open today/tomorrow?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
There's been some debate as to wether or not Wonders of Life was going to reopen.

Well, it's clear now that it will reopen. The official disneyworld website even says it will. It says it reopens on Nov 26th though.

Wouldn't they want to cover the Thanksgiving holiday crowds though? And didn't a CM working the pavilion post to this site saying that it was open or opening this week?

So.. has anyone been to Epcot? Is Wonder of Life open this week?

meanstreak82

It wasn't open yesterday (Monday). According to my sources it looks like Sunday is going to be the day (starting a full week of schedules). At first I didn't think it made much sense to open it after Thanksgiving, but now I'm starting to think that it may have something to do with staffing since WoL is going to be operated by M:S, Test Track, and a few UoE CMs. Since it's going to be so busy I don't think they can spare the CMs (even though it doesn't take a whole lot to run WoL) at TT and M:S on a crowded weekend where I'm assuming there will be more requested days off and call-ins than usual. I just think that they're preparing to be spread thin staffingwise. In that case it's a smart move cause, let's face it, opening WoL won't do TOO much to spread out the crowds, and it's especially unnecessary if it's at the expense of 2 of your 3 biggest attractions being pretty understaffed.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
The typical staffing at Wonders is actually 4 and 4 positions (4 at Body Wars and 4 at Dome).

However, it can be operated on a skeleton crew. They'll drop Making of Me alltogether, stop operating one of the Body Wars probes, and then if needed they can also remove Greeter position.

pheneix

Wow... Remember when that pavillion first opened and the staff at hand would be upwards of 20+?

Things sure have changed.

meanstreak82

The typical staffing at Wonders is actually 4 and 4 positions (4 at Body Wars and 4 at Dome).

However, it can be operated on a skeleton crew. They'll drop Making of Me alltogether, stop operating one of the Body Wars probes, and then if needed they can also remove Greeter position.

True. Another thing that makes me think that it was a last minute decision is that the training plans ended last week, which would have put the starting date at last Sunday. Now there's a week lapse in between the last bit of training and the opening of the pavilion. Maybe they are spread thin at Future World East much more than they anticipated where they couldn't spare even 4 people (not to mention the additional workload it would create for other areas of business- it may just put a little too much stress on park staffing that outweighs the payoff). I know that's the case at DWWS for the Old Spice Classic... terribly understaffed. The only way that was averted was because some extra hours overtime shifts (to be ushers and greeters) that any CM can pick up (regardless of where they work... no training needed) were opened. They can't exactly bring Joe Cast Member in to run Test Track.

uontplano

I was there today (Wednesday) and it was still closed. I can't wait for this to open once again. I'm going to bring my camera along and make some pictures...

pheneix

They can't exactly bring Joe Cast Member in to run Test Track.

Can't they spot train cast members at everything other than Body Wars though? The shows are pretty simple to run. Seems like building greeter would be an easy handout for extra hours as well.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Can't they spot train cast members at everything other than Body Wars though? The shows are pretty simple to run. Seems like building greeter would be an easy handout for extra hours as well.

Not the shows. There's a chance of a malfunction. Imagine if a fire occured because of a bulb blowing in a projector.

The CMs also know hazardous materials, various evacuation routes, who to call for repairs... stuff like that. So, an operator position at an attraction cannot be just given away.

Greeter positions are sometimes given away as extra hours. However, those CMs are kept in contact with the regular CMs and contact them immediately if there is any sort of issue.

At Body Wars during peak you're facing building and controling an extended queue (it does happen sometimes) which is not simple enough for a untrained CM and at the Dome itself you're dealing with the possibility of it reaching capacity (NYE one year it was storming and Test Track and Energy both went down.)

So, while the risk is low, it is a possibility.

tirian

So...

Since last year was definitely, surely, ABSOLUTELY its last year of operation...* :)

Does anyone know if this year will be WoL's last hurrah?

*sources: Several articles on the Disney Cast Portal, a blurb in "Eyes and Ears," and warnings from all the CMs operating WoL.

pheneix

Not the shows. There's a chance of a malfunction. Imagine if a fire occured because of a bulb blowing in a projector.

That can happen with anyone.

The CMs also know hazardous materials, various evacuation routes, who to call for repairs... stuff like that. So, an operator position at an attraction cannot be just given away.

But for the shows those are very basic. About an hour of training and a short test and they're good to go. I wouldn't even dream of doing something like that with Body Wars, but for a show it could be done.

I'm probably the wrong person to ask about that though. I was trained and signed off at Men in Black in less than two hours one morning.

llrain

funny how months ago i said that disneyworld.com
reported this as seasonal, I pointed it out to everyone and was told
by the so called experts that i was basically on crack and it would never
ever be opened again and disneyworld.com failed to take wonders off the
list.....
funny i read this today..goes to show dont believe all you hear on these boards..

There's been some debate as to wether or not Wonders of Life was going to reopen.

Well, it's clear now that it will reopen. The official disneyworld website even says it will. It says it reopens on Nov 26th though.

Wouldn't they want to cover the Thanksgiving holiday crowds though? And didn't a CM working the pavilion post to this site saying that it was open or opening this week?

So.. has anyone been to Epcot? Is Wonder of Life open this week?

Samanthasport

Anyone know any new codes

Hey anyone know new codes i've been looking all over plz reply ppl!!!!!!!!!!!!if you want to trade i have rare my name on vmk is ComicSamsam:wave:

haveyoumetmark

I thought it was going to be open yesterday and I went. :hammer:
It wasn't of course, but that's okay because holidays around the world was cool.

In other news: El Rio del Teimpo actually had a line! I was pretty shocked.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
That can happen with anyone.

But for the shows those are very basic. About an hour of training and a short test and they're good to go. I wouldn't even dream of doing something like that with Body Wars, but for a show it could be done.

I'm probably the wrong person to ask about that though. I was trained and signed off at Men in Black in less than two hours one morning.

Which is why Universal isn't considered the leader in ride safety and training like Disney is.

The attractions hosts actually know what to do incase of a fire, terrorist attack, nuclear detonatation, tornado, etc.

Incase you're wondering - the main Dome is not considered a structural evacuation point for "cover" emergencies (strong storms, debris, air raids, things of that nature) but the Body Wars and Cranium Commands attraction buildings are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom