Is this legal?

WDWlover7543

Original Poster
Below is a Facebook post from a UK cafe that uses the Be Our Guest song in the below video:

Do you think Disney licensed the song to them?

graphite1326

Probably not. I noticed other adds/places that do this and wondered if they have permission. Disney doesn't seem to be strict on copy write infringements. If it was Harley-Davidson you would bet they would be all over it. They send people to place like fairs and check independent vendors to see if they have a license to sell HD merchandise.

G00fyDad

Disney usually issues cease and desist orders every time they see small things like this and then legal action if it persists. They go right to legal action for large issues. They might not even know about this though.

Sans Souci

There is a nightclub in my town that does Disney Princess Drag Brunches every Sunday. I don't know if anyone narc'd them out or not, but they've been doing it a while and they have dates available for the next upcoming Sundays.

Goofyernmost

Disney usually issues cease and desist orders every time they see small things like this and then legal action if it persists. They go right to legal action for large issues. They might not even know about this though.
Wasn't there a case one time when they sent a cease and desist order to a daycare or kindergarten because they had a mural on the wall that had Disney Characters (Mickey, Donald, Minnie, etc.) I never understood that. Wouldn't exposing kids to Disney create a demand, kids to parent, pressure to visit a Disney Property or buy Disney toys? I guess they only thing I know for sure is that I would not even have it occur to me to report it. Why would I care enough?

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Wasn't there a case one time when they sent a cease and desist order to a daycare or kindergarten because they had a mural on the wall that had Disney Characters (Mickey, Donald, Minnie, etc.) I never understood that. Wouldn't exposing kids to Disney create a demand, kids to parent, pressure to visit a Disney Property or buy Disney toys? I guess they only thing I know for sure is that I would not even have it occur to me to report it. Why would I care enough?

I worked at a pre-K that used kids sing along CD's and one of the songs was "I can settle down" and it was to the tune of "whistle while you work". It annoyed me because I wanted to sing the correct song lol.
If you look at the OP's other posts you'll see they like to troll which is why they would care enough to report.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There was. 1990-ish.

Universal went in and offered to paint their own characters on the wall. And made sure the press was there to watch.

Goofyernmost

There was. 1990-ish.

Universal went in and offered to paint their own characters on the wall. And made sure the press was there to watch.
I knew it was a while ago. I do remember thinking it was both stupid and counterintuitive. I understand protecting the brand, but doing that just negatively promoted the brand to both the children and their parents. It should have elevated them to a point of desire to go to where they lived. Must have been a group of lawyers that never had a human motivation course that made the decision. I still think they do it, but I haven't heard about it dropping to that level in quite some time.

FullSailDan

I knew it was a while ago. I do remember thinking it was both stupid and counterintuitive. I understand protecting the brand, but doing that just negatively promoted the brand to both the children and their parents. It should have elevated them to a point of desire to go to where they lived. Must have been a group of lawyers that never had a human motivation course that made the decision. I still think they do it, but I haven't heard about it dropping to that level in quite some time.

The issue here comes down to IP laws requiring the holder to take action in order to retain it. Even that is up for debate but media companies tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to these things. There were multiple ways around it, they could have gifted the license to the day care, asked them to sign a contract of some kind etc. All the options are extremely logical, but as with most companies that get as large as TWDC, the bigger they are the less bendy the rules become, and somehow reasonability seems to go down too.

Goofyernmost

The daycare case (actually, 3 of them) is reported here: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/daycare-center-murals/

Snopes points out that allowing the unlicensed use does endanger their copyright and that "gifting" the rights to use the IP can anger those who pay for such use. As usual, it is a bit more complicated than most people think.
All that does is prove just how dehumanized we have become as a society. Any objection where legal action is sought, should be immediately defined as a waste of time. Along with a judge that just says... All that are offended by this or are trying to leverage it should just go home, curl up in a corner and see if they can find some redeeming value to their lives.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom