Is this it after Guardians: Cosmic Rewind ?

DisneyDean97

Original Poster
With WDW's 50th fast approaching, which will also kick off the first fiscal quarter of 2022 for the WDC, I can't help but to look into the future... and can't say it looks promising for new additions. After Guardians opens, presumably some time next year in 2022, could we be looking at another major gap before WDW gets another new addition. With Disney's abysmal track record with how long it takes to build things, and with no new construction popping up anywhere else on property... even if Disney announces something at next year's D23, what's the earliest we can see a new ride open, 2026, 2027?

nickys

Premium Member
With WDW's 50th fast approaching, which will also kick off the first fiscal quarter of 2022 for the WDC, I can't help but to look into the future... and can't say it looks promising for new additions. After Guardians opens, presumably some time next year in 2022, could we be looking at another major gap before WDW gets another new addition. With Disney's abysmal track record with how long it takes to build things, and with no new construction popping up anywhere else on property... even if Disney announces something at next year's D23, what's the earliest we can see a new ride open, 2026, 2027?
There was a permit for something happening at Primeval Twirl. Presumably dismantling it. That could be in preparation for something else but 3-4 years seems a reasonable guess.

There’s still stuff ongoing at Epcot but nothing Earth shattering and no rides - the Play Pavilion and Moana’s journey of water thing.

Looks like we’ll just have to wait for announcements, as you say, for the parks.

The Galactic StarCruiser will be the next thing they start a big push on.

SteveAZee

There was a permit for something happening at Primeval Twirl. Presumably dismantling it. That could be in preparation for something else but 3-4 years seems a reasonable guess.

There’s still stuff ongoing at Epcot but nothing Earth shattering and no rides - the Play Pavilion and Moana’s journey of water thing.

Looks like we’ll just have to wait for announcements, as you say, for the parks.

The Galactic StarCruiser will be the next thing they start a big push on.
I wonder how hard they'll push the StarCruiser thing. It seems like it's such limited capacity that a couple of well placed ads (at best) will fill the thing for a year.

DisneyDean97

Original Poster
New exciting projects under Bob Chapek? Lol you guys must be dreaming.
lol in all fairness (and trust me i'm not defending Chapek) but the first five years under Iger... WDW got very little as well. But unlike that time period, Universal wasn't a serious competitor, it was all pre-Potter. Now with Epic Universe looming, and with Disney's outrageous timeline on projects, they would need to start breaking ground on a new attraction or land now, to open it in time for Epic Universe... which is sad in itself. One company can build an entire park from the ground up, and one can build a ride, maybe a land in that time

Last edited:

Dan Deesnee

Disney better have something cooking.

A bunch of months back some people were arguing with me on here that Epic Universe wouldn't be worked on again for a very long time. They started up back earlier this year and will be openness early 2025.

If WDW let's them open Epic Universe with nothing major to counter it - monumental mistake. I would expect something huge to get announced by WDW sometime in 2023. 1.5 years before Epic Universe opens is perfect timing to steal some hype away.

Universal is eating Disney's lunch. They better step up or things may be very different in 5-10 years.

Brer Panther

To my knowledge, the only project Disney has planned after TRON and Cosmic Rewind is the Splash Mountain retheme (and that's assuming construction doesn't start on that until after those rides are finished). I've also heard that some projects have been cancelled to fund the retheme.

SteveAZee

Disney better have something cooking.

A bunch of months back some people were arguing with me on here that Epic Universe wouldn't be worked on again for a very long time. They started up back earlier this year and will be openness early 2025.

If WDW let's them open Epic Universe with nothing major to counter it - monumental mistake. I would expect something huge to get announced by WDW sometime in 2023. 1.5 years before Epic Universe opens is perfect timing to steal some hype away.

Universal is eating Disney's lunch. They better step up or things may be very different in 5-10 years.
It would seem like there's enough business for both, but it also might suggest that the growth of people attending WDW will plateau, or taper off to small fractional YOY attendance growth. If so, Disney will want to have as high a percentage of guests possible that are willing and able to pay high prices (more profit per guest) and want to spend on all the add-ons and hard ticket events... kinda what they're doing now. No matter what Uni does, I doubt we'll see tumbleweeds rolling down Main Street USA. I suppose it's even possible that Disney will decide that the market is saturated and there's little value to expanding or adding attractions since there's little ROI in Orlando for doing so, and the place may stagnate (kinda what they'll be doing shortly).

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
New exciting projects under <insert new CEO name here> Bob Chapek? Lol you guys must be dreaming
When will Chappie get the heave-ho? How many more monorail doors must fall down? How many more Karens and angry Dad fights will we see? When will we see switchbacks to hold the queue at Guest Relations that out distance the Peoplemover? (When the peoplemover is operational, that is)

TYOTimer

I honestly don’t know what happens after Tron and guardians if I’m being honest. And I’m not sure what new rides we’ll get under Chapek knowing how cheap and boring he is.
Most of the updates in the last 10-15 years to WDW came with Chapek at the helm of PR&E. Just remember who’s at Chairman right now if you want to place blame.

TYOTimer

Most of the further expansions within the parks will depend on 2 things: how the 50th goes for recovering losses for the pandemic, and what their response for Epic Universe will be. And we likely won’t find that out until 2023-2024

Also, if you’re worried about improvements and there being a gap, don’t worry, Moana will be lucky if it’s done by 2024, and you’ll always have Splash in eternal limbo!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom