is there ANYTHING "southern" about the Orlando area?

KevinPage

Orlando is "light-core" southern. Too many of us Northerns living here now that we dominate the laid back country folk who lived here their whole lives.

Check the amount of teeth the person has and you can tell if they lived here their whole life or from another part of the country. :lol:

:D :D :D

rcc

Halfling418 said:
There's a good mixture of different kinds of people--that's what I like about it. If it was as deep south as some other states, I don't know how I'd handle it. :lol: I had enough of a culture shock when I moved to northern Virginia.

Born and raised in VA and have to tell you there is very little about NORTHERN VA that has much to do with southern culture:confused:

pinkrose

KevinPage said:
Orlando is "light-core" southern. Too many of us Northerns living here now that we dominate the laid back country folk who lived here their whole lives.

Check the amount of teeth the person has and you can tell if they lived here their whole life or from another part of the country. :lol:

:D :D :D
Umm, I was born and raised in the south and I have all of my teeth. Had braces too. There's a pretty big difference between a "southerner" and a "redneck" Rednecks are the ones with teeth missing.

StevenT

Orlando to me is not the south. There are southern folk in Orlando, as there are anywhere in Florida, but the culture is not dominated by southerners. I live 3 hours south of Orlando in Ft. Myers. While the part of town I live in is rather southern (Ford F-250's and cowboy hats), the city itself is by no means southern and I think the same is to say of Orlando.

Wikipedia Claims: "The North Florida area in which Gainesville is located is known to natives as the "end of the South." This is most likely due to the fact that south of Alachua County or Marion County, starting a somewhere north of Orlando, there are fewer native Floridians (and effectively native Southerners) and the sprawling development that defines South and Central Florida begins." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gainesville,_Florida

I agree with this notion that anything north of Ocala (Marion County) is the South. Unlike Orlando, the local population of my second home, Gainesville, takes on a much more southern culture.

Oh, and it's Coke. Not pop or soda. Coke. :D

awalkinthepark

DMC-12 said:
Polk County scares me...... *cue banjo music* :lol: :lookaroun

OMG...I moved here from the Boston area not knowing any better lol. Hunting camoflauge is high fashion, the hunting department at Wal-Mart is half the store not a small counter in the back. The tires on some of the pick-ups are taller than my SUV, they love their ATVs. We started out in Lake Wales and just couldn't take it and moved into Lakeland which is slightly better. Anyone from the Southern New England/Boston area planning to move here be prepared.... everyone tells you their life story here...I don't mind friendly....but if I'm standing in front of you at the Winn Dixie I don't need to know why your baby's daddy is in jail or why you quit your last job because I was nice enough to hand your the order seperator....I've had waitresses sit at my table and talk to me about their day to day lives while I was trying to eat...you never realize how anti social you are until you spend some time down here...lol.

colliera

Rule of thumb

Rule of thumb is the further North you are in Flordia the more southern it is. The further South you are the more northern.

As for soda or pop . . . I'll have Co'-kola. (Say, have you tried Beverly yet)?:lol:

David

awalkinthepark said:
OMG...I moved here from the Boston area not knowing any better lol. Hunting camoflauge is high fashion, the hunting department at Wal-Mart is half the store not a small counter in the back. The tires on some of the pick-ups are taller than my SUV, they love their ATVs. We started out in Lake Wales and just couldn't take it and moved into Lakeland which is slightly better. Anyone from the Southern New England/Boston area planning to move here be prepared.... everyone tells you their life story here...I don't mind friendly....but if I'm standing in front of you at the Winn Dixie I don't need to know why your baby's daddy is in jail or why you quit your last job because I was nice enough to hand your the order seperator....I've had waitresses sit at my table and talk to me about their day to day lives while I was trying to eat...you never realize how anti social you are until you spend some time down here...lol.

I am so glad that you seem to take an aversion to sterotypes and moved to the South with an open mind, even though as you say, you were uneducated to the ways of the South. But if I may,

1. Contrary to your writings, the sports/hunting section at Wal-Marts do NOT take up half the store and hunting clothing is not high fashion. I have never been hunting in my life, and while it is a big sport in the South, it is in other parts of the USA as well.

2. As in other sections of the country, not everyone drives a pickup.

3. Again, as in other areas of America, not everyone tells you their life history, has relatives with jail or prison records, or is unemployed.

4. I have lived in the South all my life and I have NEVER had a waitress sit at my table at any time.

Heaven knows the South is not perfect. But neither is any other part of the country. Certainly we have had our history of problems, especially racial ones. But those same problems have existed in all other parts of the country as well. Perhaps not to the degree as has been previously practiced in the South, but it has been there. And even in that same area, the South has made tremendous progress.

The point I am trying to make is that each part of the country has its own strengths and weaknesses, likes and dislikes, success and failures. If I were to relocate to another part of the country, I would hope that I would attempt to recognize and accept the area for what it is and not try to play the "put down" game. After all, though the mountains divide and the oceans are wide, it's a small world after all.

Hey that might not be a bad idea for a song.

Than again, it might!

LouDisney

I wish people would not put sterotypes on people that live in a certain parts of the country (not just the south). People encounter a certain type of person or they "hear" things about the way people may live or like to do things and of course there is tv and the news and it just sticks with everyone. Truth be known, they are rednecks, etc... all over this country, not just in the south :lol:

napnet

LouDisney said:
Truth be known, they are rednecks, etc... all over this country, not just in the south :lol:

That is so true, the most redneck people i ever met was when i lived in Ohio and Arizona. And this is comming from someone who lived in LA...that is lower Alabama...:zipit:

pinkrose

David said:
I am so glad that you seem to take an aversion to sterotypes and moved to the South with an open mind, even though as you say, you were uneducated to the ways of the South. But if I may,

1. Contrary to your writings, the sports/hunting section at Wal-Marts do NOT take up half the store and hunting clothing is not high fashion. I have never been hunting in my life, and while it is a big sport in the South, it is in other parts of the USA as well.

2. As in other sections of the country, not everyone drives a pickup.

3. Again, as in other areas of America, not everyone tells you their life history, has relatives with jail or prison records, or is unemployed.

4. I have lived in the South all my life and I have NEVER had a waitress sit at my table at any time.

Heaven knows the South is not perfect. But neither is any other part of the country. Certainly we have had our history of problems, especially racial ones. But those same problems have existed in all other parts of the country as well. Perhaps not to the degree as has been previously practiced in the South, but it has been there. And even in that same area, the South has made tremendous progress.

The point I am trying to make is that each part of the country has its own strengths and weaknesses, likes and dislikes, success and failures. If I were to relocate to another part of the country, I would hope that I would attempt to recognize and accept the area for what it is and not try to play the "put down" game. After all, though the mountains divide and the oceans are wide, it's a small world after all.

Hey that might not be a bad idea for a song.

Than again, it might!

:sohappy:

pinkrose

LouDisney said:
:lol:

I am from Birmingham (I am city girl :D) What part of lower AL did you live in?
That's what I always end up saying to people....that just because I'm from Alabama (B'ham area), doesn't mean I'm not a city girl.

napnet

LouDisney said:
:lol:

I am from Birmingham (I am city girl :D) What part of lower AL did you live in?

Spent some time in Phenix City, Helena (bham) and Evergreen. I love Alabama but Florida is the state for me :)

LouDisney

napnet said:
Spent some time in Phenix City, Helena (bham) and Evergreen. I love Alabama but Florida is the state for me :)

My sister lives in Helena. Where is Evergreen?

Elizabeth, I am a city girl all the way. I can't imagine not being in the thick of things, I would go crazy :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom