Is there anything Disney could do that would make you not go?

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
An attraction or land that I do not like could not deter me from going. I love Disney World so much.

However, if they did something controversial that would be bad for their employees or made some kind of political statement against human rights or something like that, I would seriously consider giving up my AP and stop going until they reverse their position.

MKCP 1985

ONE thing: Sell the parks to another entity.
It would depend on the company. I have to think there are companies out there that could do as good a job or better and there are many that would do much worse. So I mostly agree with you, but who would have guessed 20 years ago there would be an animation company that would do classic animation as well or better than the Walt Disney Studios? (Pixar)

FettFan

The only thing that would make me not go back to Disney is if they become overly political. It's already disheartening that they allowed one sitting President to make a stump speech in front of the castle...I hope and pray that it won't start a trend.

1. Walt Disney World is supposed to be apolitical, welcoming to anyone and everyone. Having a sitting President give a speech there implies an endorsement of that President's policies by the Walt Disney World, even if such an endorsement does not actually exist.

2. The added security for the President caused the entire front of the park to be closed down as a security measure. This is a HUGE no-no; the Train Station, Main Street, and Cinderella Castle are supposed to be the official welcome area. They set the stage for the rest of guests' visit. You aren't supposed to enter the park through the employee lot behind Tomorrowland tackily decorated with parade floats. That's just bad showmanship.

afar28

Original Poster
The only thing that would make me not go back to Disney is if they become overly political. It's already disheartening that they allowed one sitting President to make a stump speech in front of the castle...I hope and pray that it won't start a trend.

1. Walt Disney World is supposed to be apolitical, welcoming to anyone and everyone. Having a sitting President give a speech there implies an endorsement of that President's policies by the Walt Disney World, even if such an endorsement does not actually exist.

2. The added security for the President caused the entire front of the park to be closed down as a security measure. This is a HUGE no-no; the Train Station, Main Street, and Cinderella Castle are supposed to be the official welcome area. They set the stage for the rest of guests' visit. You aren't supposed to enter the park through the employee lot behind Tomorrowland tackily decorated with parade floats. That's just bad showmanship.
Wait when did this happen?
Am I missing something?!?!

FettFan

Wait when did this happen?
Am I missing something?!?!

Back in January 2012. Obama gave a speech in front of the castle.
Barack-Obama-Disney-World-Speech.jpg

Secret Service shut down the entire front of the park to the hub, and guests were made to enter the park through Tomorrowland.

afar28

Original Poster
Back in January 2012. Obama gave a speech in front of the castle.
Barack-Obama-Disney-World-Speech.jpg

Secret Service shut down the entire front of the park to the hub, and guests were made to enter the park through Tomorrowland.

Wow...that's wrong.

Animaniac93-98

Obama wasn't the first sitting president to give a speach at WDW. Reagan gave one at EPCOT:

That and since 1993 the sitting president has given a speech in HoP, and that does not include non public or televised speeches made by government officials at the resort's convention centres.

Obama gave a speech about the benefits of toursim to the US. WDW is a US tourist attraction. I don't see how that's innapropriate.

Patricia Melton

I think psychologically when tickets are over $100/day for my family then I will think about whether or not there's good value in going as often as we do. We might start doing an "every other year" type thing if the tickets go over $100/day.

I actually could retire right now if I wanted but part of why I keep working is that the extra money I bring in goes to our vacations (and also into the college funds for my niece and nephew). I think I have probably another 10 years of Disney vacations in me before I think it's time to hang up the mouse ears and stop working so hard to afford these trips. My niece and nephew will be in college by that point...but I might have some grands of my own to take down to the parks (I sure hope so!!!).

I stopped going to movies when they got to be over $10 a ticket. I think the theater we go to usually has them at $11 on a weekend. We used to like to go to dinner and then see a movie...but we stopped when it was over $10. One year it was $9, and the next it was $11 and that was it for us. Now I just wait until it's on Netflix or whatever. Save a lot of money that way and it goes into the vacation fund.

I just think I'd look at the trips to WDW differently once the tickets are over $100. Maybe it's because when I do the rough budget on the trips I always use $100 per day per person for tickets as my baseline...and I like being surprised at the end that the trip does not end up costing as much as I feared, since the tickets weren't as expensive as I initially budgeted for. When things get to the point where tickets really ARE $100/day per person (or more!) then I don't think I'll be able to do these trips annually. I just would think it was too extravagant and I'd start thinking about repairs around the house I could be using the money for.

At that point, we'd start going every other year...and then maybe every three years if the prices kept going up. My income does not go up each year and is either stagnant or a little less than the year before, so any increases in ticket prices would really affect the amount of times we go down to the parks.

That would be the only thing I can think of that would keep my family from going. In the future, I bet my son and daughter won't want to go every year...and I doubt if my niece and nephew will want to come every year too when they are older...so that's another variable in all this but that doesn't have anything to do with Disney doing anything differently. It's just my family getting older and maturing out of the yearly trips in time.

FettFan

Obama wasn't the first sitting president to give a speach at WDW. Reagan gave one at EPCOT:

That's just as bad. If a politician wants to visit the parks, let him do so on his or her own vacation time, and not serving in any capacity as a representative of their office.

Animaniac93-98 said:
That and since 1993 the sitting president has given a speech in HoP, and that does not include non public or televised speeches made by government officials at the resort's convention centres.

There's a bit of a difference as the HoP is a history-based attraction and the President of the time is a robot who just gives a quick generic "hey America is great" ditty. The real star of the attraction is Lincoln-Bot.

Animaniac93-98 said:
Obama gave a speech about the benefits of toursim to the US. WDW is a US tourist attraction. I don't see how that's innapropriate.

Well considering that he pushed a bunch of tourists, some of whom were bound to be international travelers, away from the main drag of the park so they could get a B-grade show by walking past the Main Street Electrical Parade props and the employee lot so they could enter the park next to the visually-unappealing pastel gearworks of Carousel of Progress....

Not to mention the (armed?) Secret Service guys who are posted at every edge of every land with cast members telling park guests not to come any closer.....

jharvey

I've never tried Teppan Edo.
Why don't you like Pecos Bills anyways?

the seating is a setback. It is rather stuffy and I must say, the food is not great. Average person I say that to throws the fixins bar at me. My opinion is, if you have to use that line you lose the argument. A turd topped with sauteed mushrooms is still a turd. I will just walk down to CHH (aka the best CS in any park) and enjoy.

i know i am outnumbered on this, and if you love it, have a blast. i have seen some pictures posted on the food pic threads that make me think, well maybe i was wrong about Pecos. But i gotta believe some of those were taken by former ad men for Wendy's.

dopeylover

An attraction or land that I do not like could not deter me from going. I love Disney World so much.

However, if they did something controversial that would be bad for their employees or made some kind of political statement against human rights or something like that, I would seriously consider giving up my AP and stop going until they reverse their position.

Agreed, they would have to do something really offensive. The only other thing would be to jack the prices up so there's no way I could afford it, but really there's not a whole lot that could stop me.

Jillie Fish

I would have to agree with the prices. If they made the prices so high that I could not afford to go, that's the main reason.

I also don't prefer crowds either, if they don't eventually expand to compensate the for overcrowing I might not go then either. As I've gotten older, I hate going out in large crowds it makes me feel...weird. I'm definitely a home-body now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom