Is there a reason why Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin is so filthy?

Yert3

Original Poster
In the past few years, I've noticed (and I've seen that a lot of you on here have as well) that Buzz is totally gross. Trash in the queue, grime and mold in the attraction, etc. the use of black lights certainly does not help. Over the last serval years, I've seen a drastic improvement over show upkeep in almost all attractions except for this singular one (most noticeably Splash Mountain, It's a Small World, and Tiki Room) So what is keeping this attraction from getting some upkeep?

Kamikaze

The 'reason' is that its a huge people eater and very popular and they don't like having attractions like that down for refurbishment.

Is that an acceptable reason? Of course not.

Incomudro

Yes, it's one place that appears dirty every time we've ridden it.
And the cue...
Discarded food and drinks ... Disgusting.
I blame the park goers first, for being the pigs that they are.
But still.
That's not an excuse to not keep the place clean, especially since it has to be known that it's one of the more cruddy attractions.
It need extra attention.

DisneyPrincess5

Hah, DH and I always talk about how dirty it is. It does seem exceptionally grimy, not sure why. Like with the mold and such you noted. Maybe it's the colors and lighting of the queue that makes it really "shine" but yeah, it's pretty creepy. It's like a semi glorified arcade.

Goofyernmost

Can't tell you how many times I've seen food on the floor in the queue while waiting in line.
Although, Disney must clean it up I don't think that the food got there by itself. Some thoughtful guest decided to either just drop it there or accidentally dropped it and then just decided that it was someone elses job to clean it up. My theory about the queue generally is that the opening is in a spot that promotes dirt, etc. (everything but food) to just blow in there with airflow. Their is no other logical explanation why that queue is always dirty looking when the rest are not. As for the mold reported, I don't know how anyone has the time to notice that while killing aliens. I know I've never noticed any and I also think that many people really do not know what mold/mildew looks like compared to other things that might resemble it.

Minnesota disney fan

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that the attraction CM's were responsible for keeping the ride area cleaned up, pick up papers, etc. I heard that custodians are not responsible for cleaning attractions. Don't know if that is true or not. But I noticed that on Haunted Mansion there was a lot of trash in the queue and the bored looking CM's ignored this (papers and wrappers right in their area) I agree that people can be messy but that does not mean that trash should not be picked up. I'm happy to say that the HM queue was very clean on our last 2 visits. I also wrote to customer service about this and maybe if more people let them know your concerns something will be done????
Can anyone in the know verify what I heard?

IMFearless

I have personally boarded the Mermaid Omnimover and found discarded paper in the ride vehicle upon boarding. Without really thinking about it, I picked it up and went to hand it to the cast member who walks the conveyor at the far end of the load area. She backed away and refused to take it from me - she literally shook her head and said "just throw it on the floor". As I glided past her into the ride.

Now, I reflected and I guess she may not have really wanted to touch the litter with her bare hands, for fear of what it was, but either way it was on the seat in the ride vehicle which I was expected to sit in.

Sometimes litter in some of the attractions can appear to be being ignored by cast members or possibly there is lack of staff available to undertake those litter picking roles. It's difficult to know which it is. It is also difficult to know the politics between different team members who may have conflicts with one another or lack of effective management overseeing what people are doing.

I also notice the specific issues at Buzz litter wise, and would add that it seems to get worse towards the end of the night. We often hit Buzz after Wishes rather than cram out to the buses straight away.

IMFearless

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that the attraction CM's were responsible for keeping the ride area cleaned up, pick up papers, etc. I heard that custodians are not responsible for cleaning attractions. Don't know if that is true or not. But I noticed that on Haunted Mansion there was a lot of trash in the queue and the bored looking CM's ignored this (papers and wrappers right in their area) I agree that people can be messy but that does not mean that trash should not be picked up. I'm happy to say that the HM queue was very clean on our last 2 visits. I also wrote to customer service about this and maybe if more people let them know your concerns something will be done????

Yes, I believe that queue lines were changed from custodial to attraction cast members a few years ago, at least while the park is operational. I guess the exception would be anything more than simply keeping the area free of litter and generally tidy. I guess they would have the option of calling custodial if they need them.

roj2323

You are correct that it's Ride opps that's supposed to upkeep attractions during the day but Custodians can and if they are smart do walk through attractions once in a while. I did it quite a bit when I was a custodian as it was a good way to stay on top of trash cans as well as get a much needed rest bit from the summer heat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom