Is the value at WDW there from 1980 vs today

CarlFredricksen

Not to down on anyone and if I'm wrong please do correct me. But I've never seen anything that the moderate or luxury resorts offer that interest me.

I'm not into spas, fancy restaurants outside the parks, the expensive looks of Contemporary or the ones by MK. I'd rather look at the things the Value ones offer but I will give AK Lodge a plus that I would like to stay at since it offers the view of the animals. Also the atmosphere is excellent with a rain forest type feel.

Like many other people on here, I've stayed at a few different resorts, in a few different tiers. I would probally have the same viewpoint as you if I would have started staying at the Values. However I've been spoiled over the years, staying at contemporary, boardwalk, wilderness lodge, etc. before finally staying at my first value, POP, last September. The most attractive thing to me about the deluxe is location. Location, location, location. I would stay at BW again in a heartbeat. Having the ability to be within walking distance to HS AND Epcot is huge...it really opens up your day. If money was an issue then a value is a fine choice, however with me personally, some of my best memories are walking back to Boardwalk along the water after HS closes...not waiting 45m for a bus

stlbobby

Hmmm...maybe I should try a value resort then.

I've only ever stayed at moderate / luxury resorts, or done budget off-property. I've had great experiences with the latter, and never saw a reason to try Disney itself when on a budget trip.

I love the Values. If you have a young family they will love all the great touches and they have great food courts. They are generally more boisterous and lively, both in decoration and clientèle, than the Moderates. You do miss a few of the extras of the Moderates--hot tubs, fitness centers, and better locations. But if you don't need those things I fully endorse trying a Value resort. I honestly don't think the price bump is worth it unless you move all the way up to the Deluxe.

fosse76

Not to down on anyone and if I'm wrong please do correct me. But I've never seen anything that the moderate or luxury resorts offer that interest me.

I'm not into spas, fancy restaurants outside the parks, the expensive looks of Contemporary or the ones by MK. I'd rather look at the things the Value ones offer but I will give AK Lodge a plus that I would like to stay at since it offers the view of the animals. Also the atmosphere is excellent with a rain forest type feel.

I'm essentially the same way. I don't even think the Contemporaray looks expensive. It looks old and boring. I've been in there a few times, and it still looks like it's in 70s design mode.

Biff215

I love the Values. If you have a young family they will love all the great touches and they have great food courts. They are generally more boisterous and lively, both in decoration and clientèle, than the Moderates. You do miss a few of the extras of the Moderates--hot tubs, fitness centers, and better locations. But if you don't need those things I fully endorse trying a Value resort. I honestly don't think the price bump is worth it unless you move all the way up to the Deluxe.

We love the deluxe resorts, but I agree with your comparison of the values and moderates. I suppose the moderate resorts are great for those who don't enjoy over the top theming. We stayed one night at ASM before moving to AKL and enjoyed it. Not fair to compare those of course!

Walt Disney1955

I am surprised a bit at the increase in prices over the years. I believe that is one thing Walt didn't want to turn WDW into and that was a rich man's park for rich people. But I guess when you look back on it, people flocked to Magic Kingdom in the 1970s by the millions even then. There was only one park and then River Country in 1976. On the surface, looking at the options that we have today, it doesn't seem like there was much to do but there was plenty to do. Nobody had seen a place like Disney before that (other than in DL of course).

But since there are more options I guess you might get more bang for your buck. Someone mentioned about the hopper pass options. It's true, when I bought them back in September it was a difference of about $4 between the 3rd and 4th days. Big time price break for sure

copcarguyp71

Well I am not sure if I missed this somewhere in the thread so sorry if I re-itterate here. The value is definitely there. I would say the experience has gotten more immersive (at least to me) with the parks. I would then look at what is most certainly vastly increased operating expenses with payrol, utilities, tr__________g, fuel, food and probably dozens of other factors that we all experience in our own personal lives on a daily basis. That would be like saying a loaf of bread does not taste as good as it did in 1980 because it costs 22% more now than it did then. This is just my take on this as a small business owner who looks at so many angles when making decisions on a daily basis.

There you have it, my $0.02...add another $0.99 and you can get a cup of coffee!

JohnLocke

Hmmm...maybe I should try a value resort then.

I've only ever stayed at moderate / luxury resorts, or done budget off-property. I've had great experiences with the latter, and never saw a reason to try Disney itself when on a budget trip.

I really love POP, I think it's pretty well done, and the transportation is pretty good. I spend very little time at the hotel I stay at anyway, so upgrading really isn't that important to me. I don't care about pools or any other things that really come with staying at a certain hotel. As someone else said, location is pretty nice, and while I'd like to stay at a monorail hotel, I just don't know if it would make that much of a difference, since I'm up early everyday anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom