Is the value at WDW there from 1980 vs today

OFTeric

Original Poster
Ok so this is just fun speculation. Is the value at the parks at WDW there.

So this is not a mean spirited thread at all, but an honest look at WDW and it's value.

I want to take a look at value vs. experience vs. quality ... there are a few missing holes so if anyone can fill in the blanks I would be very grateful.

Ok so let's take a look at some historical number.

1 Day Park price in 1981: $9.51 - 2010 dollars - $22.80
Epcot Opens
1 Day Park price in 1982: $13.25 - 2010 dollars - $29.96
1 Day Park price in 1988: $28.00 - 2010 dollars - $51.64
Disney Hollywood Studios Opens
1 Day Park price in 1989: $29.00 - 2010 dollars - $51.03
1 Day Park price in 1997: $39.75 - 2010 dollars - $54.03
Disney's Animal Kingdom Opens
1 Day Park price in 1998: $42.00 - 2010 dollars - $56.22
1 Day Park price in 2000: $46.00 - 2010 dollars - $58.28
1 Day Park price in 2005: $59.75 - 2010 dollars - $66.75
1 Day Park price in 2010: $79.00

So the big question. Is the experience worth it?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Kind of a subjective question to try and place in a flowchart of dollars and cents. People will spend their vacation monies how and where they want, regardless of the price or past costs....

Buried20KLeague

That's a very subjective question to ask...

And you're only looking at 1 day scenarios. The per day cost goes way down the longer you stay, which makes analyzing the situation that much more difficult. Really muddies the waters.

Kind of like the whole "is DVC worth it" debate.

Damn those creative accountanteers. :fork:

stlbobby

I know many will disagree, but I say absolutely.

I love going to WDW and keep coming back. In fact I actually like it better now than in the past. I think the parks are great, the resorts are outstanding, and things will be getting even better in the coming years.

Also this is just ticket prices when you look at the expansion of the different levels of resorts there are many more opportunities for value vacations as a whole. Of course many will argue that this is why it isn't as great as it used to be.

I just love WDW.

Biff215

I was born in 1980, but my first trips were in that decade. I have to say that I believe the value is much greater today given the number of parks and overall experiences available that weren't back then. When my family visited in the 80's, we had to also visit Busch Gardens Tampa and family to make a week long vacation truly worth it. I haven't traveled off property in over five years due to the pure number of things to do right now at WDW, and I've never had a trip when I returned home and thought "I did everything, no reason to go back." As long as they continue to upgrade and add to the current parks and resorts, we'll be coming back for a long time to come!

The Empress Lilly

In the early 1980's, I used to buy an annual pass, just for my two week vacation. I think it was around $200.

It was great value for money.

Even today, I think the price for actual admission is very reasonable - if you spend ten days or so at WDW. Disney has been very clever that way. After a few days, your next day will cost you like two dollars, whereas hopping over to Universal or Seaworld for a day will set a family back several hundred of dollars.

Hotels I think are overpriced at WDW. Their cheap hotels are horribly themed and I dislike them. I've always wondered whether this isn't deliberate. With the same modest means, some many lovely hotels are build elsewhere, that look so much classier than the crass cheap WDW hotels.

(I am, however, tempted to sneak in a Universal-centered vacation sooner or later. Take one of their deals, and just hop over to Disney for a day)

Evil Genius

I was born in 1980, but my first trips were in that decade. I have to say that I believe the value is much greater today given the number of parks and overall experiences available that weren't back then. When my family visited in the 80's, we had to also visit Busch Gardens Tampa and family to make a week long vacation truly worth it. I haven't traveled off property in over five years due to the pure number of things to do right now at WDW, and I've never had a trip when I returned home and thought "I did everything, no reason to go back." As long as they continue to upgrade and add to the current parks and resorts, we'll be coming back for a long time to come!

^^This!

Of course the value is there today! As some have said, maybe moreso today than back in 1980. With the sheer variety of entertainment and relaxation opportunities WDW is worth the cost of the trip.

brianplace

what is value anyways?

people have unlimited options for food & entertainment, including theme parks. Admission to WDW for a family of four is generally less expensive than tickets for two to a Broadway play that lasts just a couple of hours. If you're going to WDW for many days (at least four-five) the per-day cost really drops.

I do take exception to the cost of the deluxe resorts though...
Value resorts are priced at "moderate" hotel levels elsewhere (a value resort at WDW is similarly priced to, say, a Ramada or Radisson in a big city.) Moderate resorts are closer to "deluxe" hotels elsewhere (a Hilton in NY or LA, for instance.)

But the deluxe resort prices are not based in reality. For the same money you can stay in very many five-star and *nicer* hotels in the biggest cities. The hotels are great - I love *visiting* them - and the food is good and often reasonably priced (Sanaa, anyone?) but the room pricing is obscene. I believe this is deliberately done because a) people reserve these rooms anyways and b) it pushes more people towards DVC. And it's really annoying.

tirian

• Merchandise, sit-down restaurants, and rack-rate hotels? No.

• Parks, with fireworks, entertainment, and a sudden return to maintenance? Yes, they're worth the prices charged. I wouldn't go much higher, but they're a pretty good value when you use MYW tickets.

The only thing I hate is how the tickets used to be good forever, and now base tickets expire.

stlbobby

Their cheap hotels are horribly themed and I dislike them. I've always wondered whether this isn't deliberate. With the same modest means, some many lovely hotels are build elsewhere, that look so much classier than the crass cheap WDW hotels.

I love the theming at the Values. I would choose All Star Movies or Pop over any of the Moderates straight up base exclusively on themeing. Just walking around the All Stars is so much fun, seeing Herbie, Buzz, and Woody, sitting in RC, playing on the turf at Sports. The Mods do offer other amenities and I have ended up at them several times, but based just on theme I like the Values over the Moderates and I don't even have kids at home.

stlbobby

people have unlimited options for food & entertainment, including theme parks. Admission to WDW for a family of four is generally less expensive than tickets for two to a Broadway play that lasts just a couple of hours. If you're going to WDW for many days (at least four-five) the per-day cost really drops.

I do take exception to the cost of the deluxe resorts though...
Value resorts are priced at "moderate" hotel levels elsewhere (a value resort at WDW is similarly priced to, say, a Ramada or Radisson in a big city.) Moderate resorts are closer to "deluxe" hotels elsewhere (a Hilton in NY or LA, for instance.)

But the deluxe resort prices are not based in reality. For the same money you can stay in very many five-star and *nicer* hotels in the biggest cities. The hotels are great - I love *visiting* them - and the food is good and often reasonably priced (Sanaa, anyone?) but the room pricing is obscene. I believe this is deliberately done because a) people reserve these rooms anyways and b) it pushes more people towards DVC. And it's really annoying.

They keep the rack rates high for two reasons. One many guests will pay it and never call back to get the discount when it comes out. I'm surprised at how many people have told me they paid rack rate and then I find out they stayed during a discounted period and I almost die.

Then there are the people that would never even think of staying on property at the lower discount rate if it was the rack rate, but when they think they are getting 45% off or free dining they jump at the chance. The deep discounts really make people feel like they are getting a great deal.

OFTeric

Original Poster
I guess the main question is....

At the Magic Kingdom, what is there and what is happening in 2010 that represents 22.78 more value than in 2000?

tirian

At the Magic Kingdom, what is there and what is happening in 2010 that represents 22.78 more value than in 2000?

Nothing.

Maintenance was better in 2000, too, but it's getting back to where it used to be.

The FLE is opening over the next few years; that will probably be used to justify more price increases. :lol:

The Empress Lilly

I love the theming at the Values. I would choose All Star Movies or Pop over any of the Moderates straight up base exclusively on themeing. Just walking around the All Stars is so much fun, seeing Herbie, Buzz, and Woody, sitting in RC, playing on the turf at Sports. The Mods do offer other amenities and I have ended up at them several times, but based just on theme I like the Values over the Moderates and I don't even have kids at home.
Hmmm...maybe I should try a value resort then.

I've only ever stayed at moderate / luxury resorts, or done budget off-property. I've had great experiences with the latter, and never saw a reason to try Disney itself when on a budget trip.

of course its better!
you have more places to play and go
back then it was just a few resorts and 1 park.
now u can go see many and stay at different resorts besides go to mutli. parks on a given day... not even going into dtd, putt putt golf... i dont feel i need to continue,
1 last thing it will always get bigger and have more to see and do, so in conclusion it will always be worth it no matter the cost

Krack

of course its better!
you have more places to play and go
back then it was just a few resorts and 1 park.
now u can go see many and stay at different resorts besides go to mutli. parks on a given day... not even going into dtd, putt putt golf... i dont feel i need to continue,

Downtown Disney was there in 1980. You were looking at a resort with the Magic Kingdom, the Contemporary, the Polynesian, Fort Wilderness, the Golf Resort, the Palm and Magnolia and Lake Buena Vista golf courses, Discovery Island, River Country and Downtown Disney.

mike10

Hmmm...maybe I should try a value resort then.

I've only ever stayed at moderate / luxury resorts, or done budget off-property. I've had great experiences with the latter, and never saw a reason to try Disney itself when on a budget trip.

Not to down on anyone and if I'm wrong please do correct me. But I've never seen anything that the moderate or luxury resorts offer that interest me.

I'm not into spas, fancy restaurants outside the parks, the expensive looks of Contemporary or the ones by MK. I'd rather look at the things the Value ones offer but I will give AK Lodge a plus that I would like to stay at since it offers the view of the animals. Also the atmosphere is excellent with a rain forest type feel.

Samadamz

To me as an adult, it seems to be much more of a value now in intangible terms. Disney World is the ultimate in escapist entertainment for me; and I have so much more reality to escape from these days! lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom