Is the planning half the fun?

Nicole

I love going to WDW. But I think that a large part of my enjoyment is the planning part. I gave my parents a Disney guidebook that I helped with (Making WDW Vacation Memories, if you are interested) for Christmas, and now all of a sudden my 70 y.o. dad is getting the Disney bug, though he's never been to WDW. It made me realize that I got my planning genes from him!

So...is anyone else like me? Obviously if you are here you probably are. But I've noticed that I post more on this forum and the dining forum than the others.

I don't necessarily make detailed plans either, just choose resorts, parks and one table service restaurant most days, but I spend hours poring over menus and looking at resort reviews and photos online.

e4ymod

I'm not a big planner. I just go with the flow. But I love it when I make reservations at a resort, I get excited just knowing that I'll be at WDW again soon.

Upvote 0

Nansafan

Yes Nicole, planning is half the fun and until we actually leave on vacation, it is ALL the fun. We plan what park each day and where we'll eat in order to make the appropriate arrangements. We do not go as far as what attraction we'll do at each park. We like to leave some things to chance. I am a list person so I make packing lists, parade/firework schedules, park hours lists, who is responsible for what lists and have actually had a list of my lists. (I know, I'm a little obsessive compulsive but if I wasn't this way, we'd have chaos.)

Upvote 0

slowbee

My wife says that I was a travel agent in a pervious life...

I agree.. planning is half the fun because it's knowing that we're going and we're going to get to do these things... etc...

Already planning our trip in June and trying to talk the wife into a trip between now and then... wish me luck.... ;)

Upvote 0

Nemo14

I'm a planner too, and you're right, that's half the fun of it! I've learned to be flexible with planning, but for the most part, the family ( and friends) rely on me to do the planning.

Upvote 0

PigletIsMyCat

Yes I agree. I love planning WDW vacations so much, I'm considering joining the travel industry and planning OTHER people's vacations!!

I plot out what parks have what hours, EMH's, firework and parade schedules, and Best/Worst parks according to UG 2006 and historical attendence. I also make one ressie per day for dinner, and make a rough plan of what park we'll be at each morning/evening. Then, there's my packing lists. Forget about it. This trip, I have made individual packing lists for myself and DH, my dad, my mom, and my bro.

There is something wrong with me. Really.

Upvote 0

cj2me

I agree Planning is a large part of the fun. In fact I am waiting for my husband to give the OK for a quick trip in March. I can't wait to start planning. I can't wait to call dining.

Upvote 0

Mystic

Planning is definitely half the fun. I do all the planning for my trips and my mom of course gets to put her two cents in on everything. We find that knowing what park we're going to be in everyday, what table service restaurant we're going to be in each day and any other thing we have planned for the day so much better than just going with the flow. It gives us peace of mind and allows us to enjoy our time in the world without worrying.:sohappy:

Upvote 0

DisneySam

I too am a planner. I have my Excel spreadhsheet that lays out day by day what we are going to do (in general) and my packing list...its almost OCD LOL. Plus planning makes you feel like your trip is getting closer I think. For me if I don't have some kind of plan I go like Disney crazy and do the zig zag around the parks and end up missing stuff. LOL

Upvote 0

nicholas

It's more than half the fun for me. More like...62% of the fun. I've been accused by many of planning to the point of being obnoxious. Oh well.

Upvote 0

kev1000

we are just Planning out trip for april and to tell you the truth it is doing my head in.
14 days no time to do all we want to do
we cant wait to go
i think best go with the flow and just plan a few days.

Upvote 0

frankd1962

Planning can be fun. I've got almost everything planned out for my trip - from the train schedule from home to the airport to the tentative meals places using this years EH charts on WD's site. Once I have it booked and it gets closer to the time then I'll fine tune it more.

Upvote 0

Buckeye

I have been referred to as the "Disney Nazi" (ala the "soup nazi" from Seinfeld).

I have EXCEL spreadsheets that are broken down into half hour blocks from the time we have to wake up to catch our flight, until the time we arrive back at our hometown airport. I know it's a bit , but I can't help it. I really enjoy the challenge. It's almost like me versus WDW to see who wins! I usually have at least one priority seating at a restaraunt per day (sometimes two). When at WDW, the wake up call comes early, and we are at the parks before the gates open. The good news is that is usually our longest wait of the day. My family sometimes complains, and gives me a hard time; but they all end up thanking me for the excessive planning as they all had such a nice time at the World and got to see and do everything they wanted to without much wait. So, yes, planning is at least half the fun for me. And to those that don't agree......

NO MICKEY FOR YOU! :D

Upvote 0

3fordisney

Planning is half the fun! It is so exciting to call reservations and get that confirmation number. It is like it is set in stone at that moment. Our three year old got into the planning on our last trip. We made our own countdown on the fridge and it was all he talked about. Its great planning on where you are going to eat and what rides you have to ride. My son is still talking about our last trip. We were there the end of nov/first of dec. On the trip home he started talking about going back and still does every day. We are hoping to make it back this fall and I can not wait to plan that trip!!!:)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom