Is the pin trading craze fading?

DisJosh

napnet said:
I know pin trading has been going on for well over 10 years and it probably waxes and wanes but i doubt it will go away. Disney makes enough cool and neat pins to keep it going. My wife and i just collect them for collectors sake... not to trade

10 years? Disney pin trading as we know it started in 1999. There were collectible Disney pins before then but not in the volume we see today or with the organized trading.

It's not fading any time soon for me that's for sure. It's the allure of having the whole collection and being reminded of where/when we got a particular pin that makes it fun for me. :D

ZapperZ

I see zero indications that the pin craze is fading. In fact, I think it is the other way around and gaining in strength. Just go to any of the pin event that they organize each year (there's one coming up in Sept). If you can get to it before sells out, you'll see how big this craze is... .still.

And now that they are really getting to the Cast Lanyard series that serious pin collectors are drooling for, I don't see even a glimmer of it fading away right now.

Zz.

inDisney

It's fine to collect pins, but people stop wearing them around your neck, walking around the parks. It looks tacky. I don't mean to offend anyone, just my opinion.

THECARISMINE

Well I will forever be a collecter of them so even if they slow down which is doughtful I'll still be buyin them so far I got around 300 and yes I know thats crazy but I just ordered 1 every week since I started and I kinda went over board lol

yea no one where that thing anymore it was always a bit to odd to begin with I would always put my pins in my pocket if I wanted to trade them

Videoteck

I just get at least maybe 1 pin each time I go to WDW. I think the pins will always just be around no matter how old they get. :lol:

Leolioness4200

I just got into pin collecting around sept. of last year when a disney store opened 2 miles from my house. They have a new shipment come in every weds. so every other weds. I go to the disney store and buy one if it's one that I want....my boyfriend and I have this thing going to see who can have the most pins by the time we go to disney this may....so far I'm ahead by like 7.

OmegaKnight

I had to stop pin trading when I realized how expensive it was becoming. However, I am determined to get the Expedition Everest Countdown pin set for the sake of me working there.

KumbaRider

inDisney said:
It's fine to collect pins, but people stop wearing them around your neck, walking around the parks. It looks tacky. I don't mean to offend anyone, just my opinion.

I agree. It's a bit obnoxious.
But if it makes money for the parks, go ahead.

Dwarful

We didn't get into Pin trading until we were at the local Disney store and they had all these pins for like 49 cents. So we bought tons for the kids to trade (my sisters kids had been the year before and got hooked).

The kids have fun trading, but they pretty much trade duplicates or those that we have gotten on sale ( a friend of mine lives in Branson, Mo, and keeps an eye out at the Disney Outlet for me, when they get pins for $2 or $3 she buys them for the kids to trade).

I don't see it going away, but I also don't wear the lanyard, its just not comfortable, we just keep it in the backpack and the kids get it out when they want to trade. But when I'm on vacation I don't really care what the other guys are wearing as long as its decent.

westie

I must admit that looking at someone elses lanyard kills time in line, allows a chance in pin trading and, wow! How did that kid get a "Who Wants To Be A Mousketeer!" pin and how do I get it from his cold dead hands! Its still like that.:goodnevil

ZapperZ

inDisney said:

Well *I* don't think it looks tacky, but that's must my opinion. (there are other tackier things people wear at the parks)

I personally don't do that, but I certainly appreciate people who do wear it since it allows for me to do exactly what it was meant for - a quick glance of what that person has and if I want to trade something.

So to the lanyard brigade, wear your lanyards with pride! :)

Zz.

Texzilla

I hope the 'craze' is dying so that the people who do it just for the enjoyment can do so without having to deal with the people who do it because they have a Disney Collectible - it's limited - I have it and you don't - let's see how much we can get for it on E-Bay mentality.

ZapperZ

Texzilla said:
I hope the 'craze' is dying so that the people who do it just for the enjoyment can do so without having to deal with the people who do it because they have a Disney Collectible - it's limited - I have it and you don't - let's see how much we can get for it on E-Bay mentality.

But in reality, how often has that happened where you have people collecting stuff "just for the enjoyment" without having a commercial aspect to it? People collect baseball cards for the "enjoyment" of it, and yet there's a component of it where major collectors pay serious money for it. It's the inevitable consequence of supply and demand. If you enjoy something enough to want to pay for it, then there'll be someone who would be willing to sell it for the right price. How do you propose to eliminate that?

I personally don't buy any of my pins on e-bay, or online. For me, half of the fun of pin collecting and pin trading is the interactions I have with other collectors, guests, and especially cast members. So if there's something that I want that I can't get either while I'm at the parks or with other pin traders, then I simply just won't get it. But the fact that there are hundreds and hundreds of ebay pages just on Disney pins alone means that there ARE people willing to pay for such things. And in the remote chance that it will die off, I see such things taking off even more since these things will now become rare.

So I don't see any indication that this component of it will ever go away.

Zz.

jim1051

pins

I would bet as long as it lakes money it will stay around. I have a modest collection of about 15 pins. Mostly resorts we
ve stayed at and all the parks plus a few specials like the one we got on the behind the scenes tour a few years back.

meatloafsfan

I really hope it's not fading - I just spent $100 on batteries.

(Before you think I am completely nuts - the 8 packs of Energizer batteries which had the "free" disney Happiest celebration on earth pins were on clearance for $5 Canadian at my grocery store)

I bought 20 packs/pins - so can anyone tell me what to do with 160 AA Energizer batteries?

Texzilla

Zz - Wouldn't think someone could read all that into my one way too long sentence. Hate to think what would have happened had I used.... A COMMA!!!The topic of this thread was asking if the pin trading 'craze' was dying or not. I was just saying that I hoped the people who were in it for the money would move onto something else so those who like pin-trading for the enjoyment of pin trading could be left alone to.... trade pin. Just a simple wish for my pin trading buddies. Nothing less and in no way should anyone have implied anything more.

wdwjmp239

Simba1 said:
Many people (believe it or not) do not know what pin trading is all about. It's merely a promotion to get moee guests interested in pin trading since it's a big money-maker for Disney. It also helps with guest-cast interaction which is very important as well. If you collect pins, you know that you can't buy just one...

I know I can never get to Disney fast enough to get a "special edition" pin for my father who's a HUGE Disney Pin collector.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom