Is the most beautiful park in the world a Disney park in your opinion?

RandySavage

Understanding this is a subjective discussion, I'm curious as to what specific & overall features of a Busch Gardens or Efteling would make one feel they are more beautiful than places like all the Disney Castle Parks, DisneySea, EPCOT and Animal Kingdom. Because to me they're not even in the same league (I'd group Busch Gardens, Knotts, Phantasialand, Efteling, etc. as "Tier II": the type of regional parks that feature mostly naked or lightly-themed amusement rides & coasters and some decently-themed areas as well). I've never heard BGW mentioned as a contender for the 'Most Beautiful Theme Park in the World' before this thread... That title has always been contested among DL, DLP, MK, AK, TDS, EPCOT, etc... the usual suspects of Tier I parks.

IMO, if you're talking themed architecture, then the rendering of places like Busch Gardens and Efteling aren't near the level of Disney's or Universal's best efforts. If it's grand vistas or beautiful landmarks, Disney wins. If you're talking a cohesiveness or coherence of vision, where the parks' thematic realms harmonize internally and externally to give purpose or to transport visitors to another time & place, even being diluted, Disney's parks still generally crush the Tier II parks. And what the Tier II parks do well to immerse visitors is generally undone by the naked coasters or other rides above and around the good stuff.

Efteling's Arabian Area:
Fata-Morgana_Efteling.jpg

Disney equivalent:
8123787549_3433e6e161_o.jpg

or to be really unfair and bring TDS into the contest:
4755070512_9567d818e2_b.jpg

BGW Old Half-timber Europe
1781626_10102924907913130_3988545895816259235_o.jpg

Disney equivalent
108_4700.jpg

27540808861_7f6bcfc6f3_b.jpg

The only unique advantage that a BG might have had, from what I can recall, over a DL or EPCOT is the more extreme topography and large mature tree canopy (no one is more irked than me that MK has cut so many of their tall, fat shade trees down) which can make you feel like your in an old growth forest valley. And, yes, that is a very good thing. Big old trees give a sense of age and authenticity to a theme park (which is much needed since so much is artificial). The most impactful thing about first visiting Disneyland for me was how the big old trees made the park feel like a magnificent arboretum as well as a theme park. I haven't been to BGW in a long while, so maybe I'm missing something, but as far aesthetic beauty as a theme park, I would never have considered it to be the equal to most of Disney's portfolio. Colonial Williamsburg - if a Living History Park can be compared to a theme park - is a reconstruction executed at a more authentic level (though less theatrical, obviously) than even what Disney has done.

As far as most beautiful park, right now I'm tempted to give my vote to Animal Kingdom... This is an amazing photo, but the subject is a work of art:
43578195774_5a9ec6d0ba_k.jpg

Last edited:

cheezbat

Much of Busch Gardens’ charm and beauty is the landscape...the terrain...and the theming. The coasters bring an added aesthetic beauty, which I know some people don’t agree with, but I find it very pleasing to the eye.
A major downfall For Magic Kingdom Is that there is so much concrete and the park is flat.
As for Animal Kingdom....Dinoland. It sticks out like a sore thumb...which makes it lose points for me.

Efteling is much like Busch Gardens - it has different terrain, gardens, great theming, and flowers and shade all over.

That being said, all of this is subjective and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Tokyo DisneySea is definitely Disney’s best though.

SirWillow

I've never heard BGW mentioned as a contender for the 'Most Beautiful Theme Park in the World' before this thread... That title has always been contested among DL, DLP, MK, AK, TDS, EPCOT, etc... the usual suspects of Tier I parks.
43578195774_5a9ec6d0ba_k.jpg

I'm assuming that you've never heard of the Golden Ticket Awards from Amusement Today. When Disney parks make it on the list, they're typically right around #5, and it's usually Disney Sea or Animal Kingdom. You can see the awards from the last several years at http://goldenticketawards.com/

RandySavage

^ I had not heard of that. Because my interests are in things like Production, Show and Set Design, Visual Storytelling, Historic Reconstruction, and Architecture & Landscape Planning, theme parks will always appeal to me over traditional amusement parks.

DisneyAndUniversalFan

So many people see the WDW parks through rose colored glasses...that, or they just haven’t been to many parks. While Animal Kingdom is pretty, the other three pale compared to so many other parks around the world.

The most beautiful castle style park is definitely Disneyland Paris. Hands down the most beautiful.

That being said, I think the nod for most beautiful has to go to DisneySea, Efteling, or Busch Gardens Williamsburg. They’re all so gorgeous and make the WDW parks look simply ‘nice.’
100% agree. besides AK, the other 3 disney world parks just can’t even compare to other beautiful parks in the world. but since it is the most popular, they will automatically be considered by others to be the most beautiful parks. yea disneysea, disneyland paris, efteling, busch gardens williamsburg, phantasialand, and even cedar point are the most.

CaptainAmerica

100% agree. besides AK, the other 3 disney world parks just can’t even compare to other beautiful parks in the world. but since it is the most popular, they will automatically be considered by others to be the most beautiful parks. yea disneysea, disneyland paris, efteling, busch gardens williamsburg, phantasialand, and even cedar point are the most.
Cedar Point, are you serious?

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Cedar Point, are you serious?
sure, did you read the comments above about cedar point? it still gives people chills driving down the coast way and seeing all the beautiful coasters sitting on the island with the water around it. the location is key for cedar point and what really separates it from other coaster parks! it’s more beautiful at night hence why i think it almost made the top 5.

Last edited:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Busch Gardens Williamsburg and DisneySea are two completely different types of beauty, one is built around the natural beauty of the forested area and well integrated with their surroundings. The other is entirely made from nothing...literally re-claimed land from Tokyo Bay to build a theme park with no expense spared and incredible areas of immersiveness not seen anywhere else.

LeighM

I grew up going to BG Williamsburg and it's definitely a gorgeous theme park. But I think being in Virginia and going so often has made me immune to it. Kings Dominion, also in Virginia, is just the usual amusement park, and I don't even like going there anymore. The first time I went to Animal Kingdom, I remember being wowed and awed. When I went back to BG Wburg after my first Disney trip, I found it very disappointing. It was still pretty but nothing beyond nice flowers, which I had in my own backyard. Plus, it's a coaster heavy park and only a few rides that my husband and I could do with our motion sickness. I might only go to BG once or twice now. I would rather save the money and apply it to my next WDW trip.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
sure, did you read the comments above about cedar point? it still gives people chills driving down the coast way and seeing all the beautiful coasters sitting on the island with the water around it. the location is key for cedar point and what really separates it from other coaster parks! it’s more beautiful at night hence why i think it almost made the top 5.

I will agree with this. Driving to Cedar Point is one of those things with eye candy. All of the coasters on an island gives the impression of a sort of candy store. You can't help but look. It isn't pretty in the way of flowers so much or buildings or castles but it has its own sort of beauty. From my experience cleaner than most places too. The hotel on the island is quite the scene too. It costs an arm and a leg to stay there but you get the park and waterpark option in there too. Someday, we'll see.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
How is Silver Dollar City in the way of beauty? It looks like excellent theming to me, maybe similar to Dollywood, but it seems even prettier.

The Empress Lilly

Most beautiful? EPCOT.

SSE at night is of hallucinating beauty. After all these years I have still not discovered all its mysteries.

WS is the prettiest area of any theme park, anywhere.

BlakeW39

So many people see the WDW parks through rose colored glasses...that, or they just haven’t been to many parks. While Animal Kingdom is pretty, the other three pale compared to so many other parks around the world.

The most beautiful castle style park is definitely Disneyland Paris. Hands down the most beautiful.

That being said, I think the nod for most beautiful has to go to DisneySea, Efteling, or Busch Gardens Williamsburg. They’re all so gorgeous and make the WDW parks look simply ‘nice.’

I have been BG:W and would not say it is in any way more beautiful or as beautiful as the MK or DAK. But to each their own I suppose. I haven't been to the other two.

Out of those I have been to, I would give the nod to DAK but MK has a very intangible quality to it... especially mainstreet.

BlakeW39

How is Silver Dollar City in the way of beauty? It looks like excellent theming to me, maybe similar to Dollywood, but it seems even prettier.

Very nice. But a lot of its beauty comes from its landscape not the park itself. I'd still factor that in, though. It is better than Dollywood. Not as good as Disney to me but it's one of the best looking parks outside kf that, for sure.

Heppenheimer

These two might stretch the definition of "parks" for our discussion purposes, but I'm going with Keukenhof when the tulips are fully in bloom, and the Leipzig Zoo. Both are meticulously landscaped, and the latter has some of the most beautiful buildings you will ever see at a zoo.

For proper theme parks, I'm going with Efteling, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, the Magic Kingdom and Phantasialand.

For water parks, I'd go with three German ones that are partially indoors: Therme Erding near Munich, Crystal Palm Beach near Nuremburg and Tropical Islands near Berlin.

Heppenheimer

And maybe two honorable mentions from the past.

The original Kings Dominion was beautifully themed and landscaped. It all went down hill, though, once Paramount bought the place and attempted to make it a movie-themed park (this will always be, to me, an example of how not to integrate IPs into an amusement park). I haven't visited since Cedar Fair took over, but given the lack of aesthetics at Cedar Point, I can't imagine it has improved.

I only visited once, but I remember Opreyland outside of Nashville being particular attractive. But, it's gone now, I think replaced by a shopping center, or something else equally less fun.

KaliSplash

I realize this isn't what we're talking about here, but the most beautiful "park" I've seen is in Augusta, Ga. Early April, every year! :)

Raineman

And maybe two honorable mentions from the past.

The original Kings Dominion was beautifully themed and landscaped. It all went down hill, though, once Paramount bought the place and attempted to make it a movie-themed park (this will always be, to me, an example of how not to integrate IPs into an amusement park). I haven't visited since Cedar Fair took over, but given the lack of aesthetics at Cedar Point, I can't imagine it has improved.

I only visited once, but I remember Opreyland outside of Nashville being particular attractive. But, it's gone now, I think replaced by a shopping center, or something else equally less fun.
Our only major amusement park here in Canada, Canada’s Wonderland, underwent the same transformation that you mentioned when Paramount bought it in the 90s, fitting IP everywhere and retheming rides that no one wanted to be changed. I have not been since Cedar Fair bought it, but, from what I’ve heard, it is mostly back to its former, pre-Paramount glory.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Very nice. But a lot of its beauty comes from its landscape not the park itself. I'd still factor that in, though. It is better than Dollywood. Not as good as Disney to me but it's one of the best looking parks outside kf that, for sure.

Worth a trip to Branson to see it? For me that would be about 13-14 hours. Seems like the Branson area has quite a lot to offer as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom