Is the integration of digital technology within Walt Disney World impacting the experience of those with limited digital capabilities?

crawale

the answer is an obvious "yes"

if one lacks the digital sophistication to navigate what Disney has rolled out, then of course that guest's experience will be adversely affected.
Also if you are in certain rooms in the resorts the internet connection is extremely bad. Have spent many an early morning on the balcony trying to get a solid connection. Disney should invest in a better wifi for the property.

SteveAZee

Speaking of technology... and I don't mean to hijack the thread, but...

It seems like it would be win-win to have room thermostats controllable from the MDE app. Instead of leaving your AC cranked up all day so it's cool when you return, or leaving the AC low and returning to a warm room and waiting for the AC to cool the place, just let the 'room' know you'll be back in 20 minutes and then the AC can kick on and your room will be ready when you get there.

Saves electricity. Uses tech (if you have it and want it). Could cut overall costs for most DVC owners as well.

JIMINYCR

Some people can't afford smartphones.
Some people don't want smartphones
Some people are unable to use smartphones/apps and want nothing to do with them.
Some people don't want to carry smartphones and the aggro of charging batteries, signals & wi-fi bandwidth

I use smartphones all the time, but I DON'T want to use one in a theme park/on vacation unless I absolutely have to.
I don't want to use a smartphone just so I can go on a ride and pay (on top of admission price) extra to use it.
I don't want a smartphone telling me what I can and cannot do.
I don't want a smartphone tracking and profiling me and spamming me about what it thinks I would like do or go on.
DW and DS are tied to their smartphones continually throughout their day. Me, I have one only because its a necessary evil in todays environment. I rarely use it unless I have to. I have more worthwhile things to do with my time. Fortunately my business isnt dependent on using one and when I take calls from some customers their connection/reception sometimes is so bad they need to call back later.
When we are at WDW I put mine away and let DS and DW handle the things my trip needs.

Ldno

Some people can't afford smartphones.
Some people don't want smartphones
Some people are unable to use smartphones/apps and want nothing to do with them.
Some people don't want to carry smartphones and the aggro of charging batteries, signals & wi-fi bandwidth

I use smartphones all the time, but I DON'T want to use one in a theme park/on vacation unless I absolutely have to.
I don't want to use a smartphone just so I can go on a ride and pay (on top of admission price) extra to use it.
I don't want a smartphone telling me what I can and cannot do.
I don't want a smartphone tracking and profiling me and spamming me about what it thinks I would like do or go on.
Just came back from my trip two weeks ago, Genie + makes the digital experience 10x worse. YOU need a phone to see what’s going on, sometimes your ride will breakdown and you will be headed towards that way and the app will keep you posted, but I remember seeing the posted wait times only once on at the parks and that was epcot, there’s no good way of knowing when to get on rides.

Wait times are exactly the minutes posted if not worse if it doesn’t break down. If you want to stack lightning passes you need to be on your phone, you need at least two 8000-10000 watt battery packs to fullfill your trip without issues.

I did everything digital, without magicband usage this time, To be honest to have a good time I needed to check the app every 10 seconds to make sure I’m seeing what ride breaks down so I can wait outside and be the first one on the queue when it gets fixed, this happened like 3-4 times and not going to lie after I got out the ride the line was already a 45-60 minute wait on most cases.

I really don’t know how international guests have a good time now, I saw a bunch of them walk up to CM on Lightning lanes on Cosmic Rewind asking why they couldn’t get on.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

I really don’t know how international guests have a good time now, I saw a bunch of them walk up to CM on Lightning lanes on Cosmic Rewind asking why they couldn’t get on.
If Cosmic Rewind isn’t available for guests who buy a ticket unless they win a lottery or and/or own a smart device, it shouldn’t be legal to advertise it as part of the park admission.

MickeyLuv'r

I don't mean to be "that guy", but I think your math is off a bit. I remember 5 E, 4 D, 3 C, 2 D, and 1 A, for a total of 15 tickets. The 18 ticket book, I think, came with 2 more E's and 1 more D.

Hard to remember that far back, but I was thrilled with the introduction of just a ticket to get in, and then all rides were "free".
Thanks for the catch. The earlier part of my post was correct according to AllEars:

The ticket book sold was an 18 'adventure' book, but only 16 of the adventures were 'attractions.'
At teh time: The 8 Adventure books = 8 attractions. The 10 Adventure ticket books = 10 attractions.
But the 18 adventure books, had two non-attraction 'adventures.' (transportation to River Country and transportation to Treasure Island.) (5 + 5 + 4 + 1 +1 = 16)

I don't recall the specifics of the tickets books, but the main point still stands. While there was no FP back then, WDW limited ridership by way of tickets.

Walt Disney1955

DW and DS are tied to their smartphones continually throughout their day. Me, I have one only because its a necessary evil in todays environment. I rarely use it unless I have to. I have more worthwhile things to do with my time. Fortunately my business isnt dependent on using one and when I take calls from some customers their connection/reception sometimes is so bad they need to call back later.
When we are at WDW I put mine away and let DS and DW handle the things my trip needs.

My wife occasionally has a cell phone with her, but most of the time it is just to take some pictures. That being said, I see what you wrote and can't help but think I feel free compared to other people.

disneyfireman

No, Join the 21st century...get a good mobile device. Its like complaining about cars...in 1922. Now, with that being said......I ONLY use my phone for pics and genie + selections...I dont mess with surfing the web at all while at any vacation....just the news in morning.

disneyfireman

Owning a car is not required to visit a Disney Park and enjoy all of the benefits of a visit.
........Its a comparison...that in 1922. 99% of society by then HAD to have a motorized transport vehicle. As is today....99% of anyone visiting WDW/DL. HAS to use. a smartphone to get the most out of it. Like now..you dont have to have a car....but good luck with that...and at Disney...good luck without a device. You will NOT get the most out of your vacation...period. And again...I dont use mine much ..just genie plus and a couple other things...its usually in my pocket. But people go without ANY research or basic knowledge of what to do...thats their fault.

AEfx

The one snag I see here is that they need to be digitally-abled enough to do an online survey at Google Docs, LOL.

My parents were considering going but after they heard about all the phone nonsense, are doing Universal instead. Half the price, half the worry.

disneyfireman

The one snag I see here is that they need to be digitally-abled enough to do an online survey at Google Docs, LOL.

My parents were considering going but after they heard about all the phone nonsense, are doing Universal instead. Half the price, half the worry.
...and
half the fun....seriously though....My biggest issue with Universal....is the clientele and all of it is just a step down...not 100% but there is a noticeable difference....its a step up from most places....but 2 steps down from Disney. On a side note.....Kings Island in Cincinnati Ohio is a close to. the quality of Disney you can find....without actually being at Disney.

disneyfireman

The comparison doesn’t work and your history is way off. Even now nobody in society has to have a car. I don’t.
In 1922 95% of Americans has a motorized vehicle...now in the free civilized western world its over 99.9%. Obviously, there are places without...but no one wants too live in those places....including the folks that do. Literally in the states..without a car..or truck or motorcycle....one wont work..and with no work...is no money...and no money is ZERO freedom. I suppose NYC is the exception...but even then...to escape it...you got to drive at some point.

TrainsOfDisney

In 1922 95% of Americans has a motorized vehicle.
This is not true. It was 20% at most. I’m not sure why you think you need to have a car to have a job, but that’s definitely not true.

Back to smartphones.... about 80% of Americans own smartphones but not all of those smartphones are probably capable of running the current Disney APP.

Prince-1

In 1922 95% of Americans has a motorized vehicle...now in the free civilized western world its over 99.9%. Obviously, there are places without...but no one wants too live in those places....including the folks that do. Literally in the states..without a car..or truck or motorcycle....one wont work..and with no work...is no money...and no money is ZERO freedom. I suppose NYC is the exception...but even then...to escape it...you got to drive at some point.

Care to give the backup to your data.

flynnibus

Premium Member
.......Its a comparison...that in 1922. 99% of society by then HAD to have a motorized transport vehicle.

In 1922 95% of Americans has a motorized vehicle...now in the free civilized western world its over 99.9%
not sure where you get your stats.. or why 1922 is so big to you.. but none of these facts are accurate. Not even in the most car heavy country in the world (the US) is household car ownership at 95% - and we are the highest adopters by percent. So 99.9%? Stop with the hand waving.

Besides, ownership in some areas varies greatly

Income levels also drive that stat significantly

Plus... on the subject matter at hand... we already have decades of experience that prove you don't HAVE to have a smart-device for the product to be utilized or accessible. This is a CHOICE by the company - not a requirement

TrainsOfDisney

Plus... on the subject matter at hand... we already have decades of experience that prove you don't HAVE to have a smart-device for the product to be utilized or accessible. This is a CHOICE by the company - not a requirement
No, I believe you have to have a smart device to get annual pas discounts, and DVC discounts.

You also have to use the Disney app at some dining locations according to multiple trip reports on this site.

flynnibus

Premium Member
No, I believe you have to have a smart device to get annual pas discounts, and DVC discounts.

You also have to use the Disney app at some dining locations according to multiple trip reports on this site.

You're talking corner cases (discounts) - and again, all these changes you have mentioned have been by CHOICE of the company. They are not the only way to achieve their need. (nor are they the only way it's been done by this company)

TrainsOfDisney

You're talking corner cases (discounts) - and again, all these changes you have mentioned have been by CHOICE of the company. They are not the only way to achieve their need. (nor are they the only way it's been done by this company)
Oh you meant the companies choice. I thought you meant we as the customers always had the choice of using tech or not. (For example.... you can use mobile order, or wait in the traditional line, it’s your choice).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom