Is the Hunchback Theatre staying a theatre

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Original Poster
While at "The World" last week, I noticed that there are lots of a/c ducts in the former Hunchback theatre. Obviously it's being closed in, but it is necessarily staying a theatre. It's a pretty wide open space, and it's located near Muppet Vision. Could it be the future home to a new Muppet based ride (Muppets Movie Ride)? DHS already has plenty of theatres. What do you all think?

mitchk

While at "The World" last week, I noticed that there are lots of a/c ducts in the former Hunchback theatre. Obviously it's being closed in, but it is necessarily staying a theatre. It's a pretty wide open space, and it's located near Muppet Vision. Could it be the future home to a new Muppet based ride (Muppets Movie Ride)? DHS already has plenty of theatres. What do you all think?

We can only hope that The Muppet Great Movie Ride will get built, but I doubt it :cry:

ImaYoyo

No. It's a performance hall being used for a number of things, such as Concerts, Festival Disney, Disney Honors, Grad Nite, Grad Jam, and other fun open-to-the-public stuff you'll find out about over the summer :)

djkidkaz

No. It's a performance hall being used for a number of things, such as Concerts, Festival Disney, Disney Honors, Grad Nite, Grad Jam, and other fun open-to-the-public stuff you'll find out about over the summer :)

Ugh, what is going on at this park?! American Idol, a Grad Nite performance hall, etc! Mine as well just have me walk in and kick me in the groin.

How many seats is the theatre being turned into? Will it be a TV production quality theatre to perhaps film live Tv shows there, such as some sort of Idol event, Hanna Montanna show, etc. What has been announced for the space officially? Disney may bring in shows that dont appeal to adults, but there making millions of shows that appeal to young people under 21...lots of millions between High School Musical, and Hanna Montana. This idea of broad based entertainment spanning many genres was one of the original goals of the DHS when it was concieved. I think there will be a lot more contemporary entertainment added in the next few years. Like Idol, the Stunt show, etc. Thats the thinking behind moving the park away from the idea that it about movies, and broadening the appeal.

Figment1986

The enclosed theater sounds like what they did for nemo...

this is not that bad of an idea, they could hold summer concerts in there but alo hold the play house concerts in there during the fall and other random events they do.

and to think, didn't everyone say they were tearing it down even after the older roof was taken off yet the golden gate bridge remained?

ImaYoyo

Ugh, what is going on at this park?! American Idol, a Grad Nite performance hall, etc! Mine as well just have me walk in and kick me in the groin.
Wow. You're crying over a new venue that will have concerts? Yeah. I agree. Terrible thing. I don't want life and activity brought to that area of the park either...

:rolleyes:

hauntdmansion79

Well you can't get much more disappointing than that.:(

EpcotServo

It's going to be home to Deal Or No Deal:Live!
:hammer:

It's not going to be enclosed, by the way...or at least that was the plan awhile ago.

ImaYoyo

Well you can't get much more disappointing than that.:(

Please excuse my bad mood, I'm in the middle of wedding planning and annoyed... but...

Ug...

1.) This was announced long ago. MONTHS ago.
2.) Yes, it's a terrible shame to enrich the minds of our nations youth by giving them an opportunity to perform and compete in front of thousands of people.
3.) No kidding, I'm so disappointed that we have to have so called "exciting concerts and more". Who likes crappy concerts anyway? I'd rather another Drew Cary attraction to sleep through. I also hate the thought of using it for traveling stage shows, broadway productions, and national headliners. Terrible idea.

All anybody ever wants are things for "Me, me, me". No one ever considers that they're not the ONLY demographic visiting WDW. Maybe we should all consider the kids that want to visit. Maybe we should consider doing something for the community. Maybe we should consider ALL of the people that visit WDW, and not just ourselves. EVERYONE gets something for them, and maybe this one isn't for you.

I'm out. Can't take any more. Have a good weekend, see you monday.

And yes, it's going to be enclosed. That was the plan from the beginning, to offer an enclosed performance venue.

Figment1986

And yes, it's going to be enclosed. That was the plan from the beginning, to offer an enclosed performance venue.

I would hate for it to not be enclosed and have to work around LMAs few performances...

and i love the idea of opening it up to competitions, concerts and such... it would bring more life to the studios and counter the American idol being added as well offering something else to see on many days.

haveyoumetmark

Please excuse my bad mood, I'm in the middle of wedding planning and annoyed... but...

Ug...

1.) This was announced long ago. MONTHS ago.
2.) Yes, it's a terrible shame to enrich the minds of our nations youth by giving them an opportunity to perform and compete in front of thousands of people.
3.) No kidding, I'm so disappointed that we have to have so called "exciting concerts and more". Who likes crappy concerts anyway? I'd rather another Drew Cary attraction to sleep through. I also hate the thought of using it for traveling stage shows, broadway productions, and national headliners. Terrible idea.

All anybody ever wants are things for "Me, me, me". No one ever considers that they're not the ONLY demographic visiting WDW. Maybe we should all consider the kids that want to visit. Maybe we should consider doing something for the community. Maybe we should consider ALL of the people that visit WDW, and not just ourselves. EVERYONE gets something for them, and maybe this one isn't for you.

I'm out. Can't take any more. Have a good weekend, see you monday.

I agree. I love these changes to the studios. It's really shaping up to be a whole different breed of theme park. Good luck with the wedding planning, my brother just got married. Wife was total bridezilla, the guest room was crushed for a wedding room. All I saw were laptops, boxes, and white lace. It was nuts. Oh and Congratulations too.

echoscot

I think it is wonderful that they are finally doing something with this venue as well as the ABC venue.

Do I wish they were something different than what they are? Yeah, but at least they aren't going to sit empty and isolated.

Do I wish Hunchback would return in some shape or form? You bet.

Do I think it's likely? Not a chance.

But WDW is not a static place it is always changing and moving, even the things that appear static. It may take a while for us all to see, but it is changing...and it is nice that money is being put back into the parks. It has been a while since that has happened. What you see today is vastly different than what opened in 1971 and it will continue to grow and change.

:animwink:

jt04

I just hope the interior is first rate. If it is bench seats and cement I will be disappointed. Anyone know?

Figment571

I don't remember that theater having too much seating. How much room was there?

Besides tat, I'm gonna miss the old Hollywood theme... Oh, well.:shrug:

Swoosh

I thought the Backlot Theatre was going to be used for the indoor HSM2/3 show later this Fall. According to a few of the people I know over at TD, that is still the case.... does anyone have info to debunk that? It will also be used in between HSM shows for band day things, much like the Magical Music Day events at the other parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom