Is the "Earful Tower" returning as the DHS icon? See 2013 merchandise for clues

yoda_5729

I've often thought the hat should be moved over near Fantasmic. It would give people the option for photo ops, and goes with the show finale. Anyone who's tried taking pics of the show knows it's not super easy, and the hat could act as a memento for people who have seen the show. I think they have more then enough space for it over there, and due to it's secluded location, it probably wouldn't effect too much else, as long as you keep it away from the TToT

the.dreamfinder

I thought I had a photo. This is one of the moving light units inside the hat. It's about 3ft long. The mess along the inside of the window is where the bird muck has collected. That's straw from a nest sticking out of the right side. Not only are these units long redundant, they've been left in place above guests heads to literally rot. And they all look like this.
Next you'll tell me there's mold in Small World... oh wait

lazyboy97o

I've often thought the hat should be moved over near Fantasmic. It would give people the option for photo ops, and goes with the show finale. Anyone who's tried taking pics of the show knows it's not super easy, and the hat could act as a memento for people who have seen the show. I think they have more then enough space for it over there, and due to it's secluded location, it probably wouldn't effect too much else, as long as you keep it away from the TToT
It would be visible from World Showcase...

Cosmic Commando

It would be visible from World Showcase...
"This sucks, so who cares if it gets worse?" is not normally an argument I subscribe to, but until they knock down the Swan, the Dolphin and the Soarin' building, nobody would bat an eye at a teeny tiny hat way off in the distance. Given how small Tower is, I'd even say it's not a given that it would be visible from inside Epcot.

lazyboy97o

"This sucks, so who cares if it gets worse?" is not normally an argument I subscribe to, but until they knock down the Swan, the Dolphin and the Soarin' building, nobody would bat an eye at a teeny tiny hat way off in the distance. Given how small Tower is, I'd even say it's not a given that it would be visible from inside Epcot.
It would be a big blue cone right in the middle of the currently well blended Hollywood Tower Hotel and Morocco Pavilion. Maybe as a stand alone object against the sky it wouldn't be that visible, but amongst all that red-brown color, it'd be a strong contrast and easily stick out.

Goofyernmost

Love the "big bouncy house" reference to the sorcerer's hat!:D Where else could they put the "dreaded" hat?:confused:
I've been saying since the day they put it there that the only place where it would have been not only acceptable but also fit the theme was the Animation Courtyard. It would still be seen, there was enough room and it wouldn't be an eyesore there where it belongs.

lazyboy97o

I've been saying since the day they put it there that the only place where it would have been not only acceptable but also fit the theme was the Animation Courtyard. It would still be seen, there was enough room and it wouldn't be an eyesore there where it belongs.
The Hat would fill up most of the courtyard, making it difficult to move and throwing off other sight lines in the park. It just needs to be scrapped.

Goofyernmost

The Hat would fill up most of the courtyard, making it difficult to move and throwing off other sight lines in the park. It just needs to be scrapped.

What sight lines? The place is just a big stroller parking lot right now. Waste of space. I think there is more than enough room because the place doesn't get much traffic really. What's there to see in there since the backlot tour was massacred and animation was unceremoniously ended.

lazyboy97o

What sight lines? The place is just a big stroller parking lot right now. Waste of space. I think there is more than enough room because the place doesn't get much traffic really. What's there to see in there since the backlot tour was massacred and animation was unceremoniously ended.
It would be visible over Sunset Blvd, throw off the scale of the Studio arch and fill up the view down Pixar Place and across Echo Lake.

Goofyernmost

It would be visible over Sunset Blvd, throw off the scale of the Studio arch and fill up the view down Pixar Place and across Echo Lake.
I must be remembering incorrectly then, because in my memory the Animation Courtyard is set back from Pixar Place and there is not much of anything behind it that would cause it to block the view to Echo Lake. Sort of a little alcove all to itself. I could be wrong, I like everyone else occasionally confuse one area with another, but that is what I recall.

Cosmic Commando

It would be a big blue cone right in the middle of the currently well blended Hollywood Tower Hotel and Morocco Pavilion. Maybe as a stand alone object against the sky it wouldn't be that visible, but amongst all that red-brown color, it'd be a strong contrast and easily stick out.
It could be, I just don't think it's an absolute given. A little difference in placement could have a big effect on whether or not it's visible from Epcot. Tower is 199ft and the BAH is only 121ft as it currently stands... maybe that would be the difference? Maybe the BAH could be reworked to sit lower to the ground somehow or even be placed at the bottom of an amphitheater-type area. Again, I'm not saying that it would absolutely and easily be hidden... just that I don't think it would absolutely stick out.

yoda_5729

I don't know anything about engineering, or the problems with Floridian building as I am aware the water table is lower there which causes flooding issues. Would it be possible to have a lower plaza near the theater? Have it be a sunken area, then the hat wouldn't protrude so high up in the air. It was just an idea, and may very well be impossible, I was just curious. Somewhere I remember reading part of what made the tower so tall was the tower was built on a hill, but perhaps I was mistaken, in all honesty I am rarely in that region of the park.

aladdin2007

There are also new 2013 tshirts that include the Earful Tower instead of the hat.....yet there is also a new sweatshirt that includes the hat but not the tower.....so merch prob has no clue in full. But interesting still. Either way flatten the tacky thing already, or move it elsewhere at least.

Marco226

One night, I had a dream that during the finale of Fantasmic, the top of the mountain rotated and turned into the giant sorcerer hat. Would that be possible in real life? How cool would that be? The audience is blinded by a bunch of fireworks and then the giant sorcerer hat is right in front of everyone! It would definitly solve the problem of figuring out where to put the darn thing...

HMF

Once again, the hat will go sooner than later. It just needs enough suits to agree with the desire from Glendale.

Speaking of logos, just looked closer at our 2011 WDW Tour christmas tree decoration. It has Space Mountains logo on it.
Hong Kongs Space Mountain.
What are the odds for 2013?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom