Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
random note. im amazed they closed backlot so early (as in before they were going to build anything) so they lowered capacity and haven't even begun to build anything.

I'm not it reduced OPEX significantly and the gate count was unaffected (as far as WE know). Do Less - More Profit WDW's motto these days...

pumpkin7

Just thought I'd drop these here:View attachment 89641
It looks like the stage hopefully won't be too tall.
View attachment 89642

Why would that instagrammer assume that they are building a permanent stage? Is that just what he thinks or have their been confirmations? I have read the last couple of pages and haven't seen anything so I assume he is just assuming himself...!
And yes, the Theatre looks great.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Why would that instagrammer assume that they are building a permanent stage? Is that just what he thinks or have their been confirmations? I have read the last couple of pages and haven't seen anything so I assume he is just assuming himself...!
And yes, the Theatre looks great.

They may just be trying to connect what they see behind the walls with what is rumored. What we see in that picture is not necessarily a new stage.

Goofyernmost

random note. im amazed they closed backlot so early (as in before they were going to build anything) so they lowered capacity and haven't even begun to build anything.
Just a thought here, but, Catastrophe Canyon has been in operation for a long, long time. If I were a betting man, I would wager that it is less a situation of trying to save more money, but, deciding that it wasn't really safe or the equipment that was no longer going to be used, was in major need of replacement. Since, it is hardly a draw for the park, it is just wiser to close it then to keep it working looking sadder and sadder. But, sure, why not, it is always because Disney is nothing if not greed personified. Keeping in mind, of course, that Disney is not a business, but a magic fantasy land there only for our enjoyment.

pumpkin7

Just a thought here, but, Catastrophe Canyon has been in operation for a long, long time. If I were a betting man, I would wager that it is less a situation of trying to save more money, but, deciding that it wasn't really safe or the equipment that was no longer going to be used, was in major need of replacement. Since, it is hardly a draw for the park, it is just wiser to close it then to keep it working looking sadder and sadder. But, sure, why not, it is always because Disney is nothing if not greed personified. Keeping in mind, of course, that Disney is not a business, but a magic fantasy land there only for our enjoyment.

That could always be the reason. There were plenty of 'consumable' parts up there with all the fire and water. Maybe it was on the chopping block for later this year but a pipe burst or something and they decided it was the nail in the coffin.
I suppose there was no point in keeping the Backlot Tour going without Catastophe Canyon. It would have been over in about 5 minutes lol.
But now it's a shame that they've just left it there to rot. River Country 2.0!

roj2323

image.jpg
From today

image.jpg
Zoomed in a bit

Ok now that i've zoomed in a bit theres more to talk about. There is pink concrete on the ground which is the finished color of the existing planters. The wheel tracks (presumably a concrete truck) back up the idea that the walls have been poured. The silver things are locks that grab ahold of the wall ties. The wall ties are a roughly 1/4in rod that passes from one side of the forms to the other and holds the two halves in parallel with each other during the concrete pour.

Last edited:

roj2323

I see things have shifted back to 'glacial' speed...
Setting curved one time use forms like the ones they are takes time. It's not easy in daylight let alone at night with construction lights. (i've done it and it's a real PITA) There also seems to be a lot of rebar going in which takes time to place as well. Once this foundation is poured things should pickup speed. I doubt it will be wrapped up my may for star wars weekends but it could be close.

On another note I did notice that they moved the walls on the right side back about 20ft so you can walk on both sides of the planters (by the hot dog/ice cream stand) again.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Setting curved one time use forms like the ones they are takes time. It's not easy in daylight let alone at night with construction lights. (i've done it and it's a real PITA) There also seems to be a lot of rebar going in which takes time to place as well. Once this foundation is poured things should pickup speed. I doubt it will be wrapped up my may for star wars weekends but it could be close.

curved forms? you mean like they put in on sidewalks and curbs in an afternoon? Or how about pools? Let's not act like Disney is having to re-invent the wheel here. This is stuff that takes days.. not 3-5 weeks. I know there are constraints... but you can buy speed for many things.. Disney doesn't seem to be motivated here for it.

roj2323

curved forms? you mean like they put in on sidewalks and curbs in an afternoon? Or how about pools? Let's not act like Disney is having to re-invent the wheel here. This is stuff that takes days.. not 3-5 weeks. I know there are constraints... but you can buy speed for many things.. Disney doesn't seem to be motivated here for it.

Lets not pretend that pouring something that's 4-12 inches thick and wide is the same thing as pouring an 8-12 inch thick wall that's 4-6ft high. The amount of pressure at the bottom of the form is nearly 1,000 pounds per square foot. To add to this you don't want it to move or deform during the pour so that requires additional bracing.

I did this kind of work professionally for over 8 years. I know what I'm talking about. I agree it could have been done faster but considering the time constraints and limitations placed on the work to minimize disruptions to park operations (including the night time custodians, maintenance workers and other construction crews) the time they have taken to do this project is perfectly reasonable.

here's some reading material

concrete form pressure chart: http://www.gatesconcreteforms.com/pdfs/pressureChart.pdf

How they build the forms ( skip to page 18 for a visual of what the workers did at DHS: http://www.whitecap.com/wcsstore/WhiteCap/Images/PDF/Brigade_Concrete_Forming_Handbook.pdf

flynnibus

Premium Member
Lets not pretend that pouring something that's 4-12 inches thick and wide is the same thing as pouring an 8-12 inch thick wall that's 4-6ft high. The amount of pressure at the bottom of the form is nearly 1,000 pounds per square foot. To add to this you don't want it to move or deform during the pour so that requires additional bracing.

Yet we pour foundations like that all the time... without making it out to be radical. Again if you want speed, you can get it. This stuff could have been pre-fab'd or the majority of the forms (which from the last photo looks like they were).

I agree it could have been done faster but considering the time constraints and limitations placed on the work to minimize disruptions to park operations (including the night time custodians, maintenance workers and other construction crews) the time they have taken to do this project is perfectly reasonable.

Meh... the time table sucks, but its not foreign to these guys nor construction. This job is on the slowboat...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom