Is the Animal Kingdom considered the least popular park?

Mrs.Toad

A part of me wonders why they opened Ak as the 4th gate, considering they are hemming and hawing over refurbing the other 3 and creating new attractions to the extent they should be by now.

I have a soft spot for AK and DHS, but still...when they stalled FW and WS, left MK alone for too long before the recent FLE, and kept DHS all over the place theme-wise; sprawling without a cohesive game plan, and not a 100% identity like the other two, it makes me wonder...

Mrs.Toad

As far as restaurants, T-Rex should have gone to AK and not DTD. And I wish the Adventurer's Club could re-open in AK or AL. So simple to do, would make so many happy, they don't have to even start from the drawing board for this either....boggles the mind.

Tinkerkell

Opinions vary. I LOVE Animal Kingdom! The details in that park are amazing. I will say that I hope Avatar Land never leaves the drawing board because I'm not a fan of that concept one bit, but anyway I think AK is brilliantly done.

Studios is my least favorite park. Perhaps I'll enjoy it more if those Cars Land rumors develop into reality, but time will tell.

Epcot is my favorite, followed by MK and AK.

FitzherbertFreak

You are going to get annoyed with this site then... I am an admitted fan of both parks and while Uni isn't perfect, they are doing a lot of great things that I wish Disney would and should do. There are plenty of others on here who praise Uni too...so that pet peeve of yours is going to be tweaked quite a bit. And if you didn't notice, there is an "other attractions" section of this board. It is not a crime to like both places. I love WDW and Universal both.

Anyways... I go back and forth on what is my least favorite. Either Epcot (I know, gasp!) or AK are probably my least favorite. I enjoy them both but not nearly as much as MK and even for all it's flaws, DHS
Oh, don't get me wrong I like Universal, I just don't think it needs to make its way into this website. Trust me I really do like Uni, I went to the grand opening of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I'm just a Disney Obsesser, and an average fan of Uni.

awoogala

I've done the train ride so nope that's not reason. I do think you may have hit nail on the head though - you have kids. Maybe the fact I never saw it as a child (I'm too old!) and nobody I know who goes has children is the answer. Thanks - you may have cracked it :)
could be. We are also crazy about animals and education, and our kids are total animal nerds.;) I didn't mean you especially, but I have spoken to people shoo told me ak was boring, then proceeded to ask them "the tigers?" And they had no idea what I was talking about. We often get pics with j. cricket and Pocahontas, and they seem shocked.
Even people with kids who told me they didn't take the train, or see any animals (outside of the safari), etc. Just went on the rides and saw the bug show. Didn't let their kids play in the dinosaur play area..lol People who go every year with their kids!
It isn't a bunch of rides, it's more of an experience park. There is a lot of education available. The lion king show is pretty awesome too!

erasure fan1

I love the animal kingdom but I get why so many people I know rate it as their least favorite park. It needs more attractions, its just that simple. Not everyone wants/likes to explore all the nooks and crannies of the park, and I agree. The misconception is that because its the "least favorite" indicates its bad but that's not true. In my eyes its just lacking and has the potential to be the best park on property if Disney would only give it the attention that is truly deserves.

Goofnut1980

It is funny, because I am a DVC member, PAP holder and love going to Disney. But we only go to HS and AK for a day each visit. I think AK could be awesome, but geesh, prune some of the trees around the ToL. It is starting to look unkempt and takes away that Disney magic. I am not saying it is a bad park, just needs a little pruning. HS is fun, just seems small. However, I do love the shops at HS. They really need to use those soundstages for something other than collecting dust.

matt9112

i love AK becuase of that detail and wonder you "should' feel. everything from the oasis to the tree of life to the lands themselves....one thing i would like to see in AK is more "support' items....things like more sit down dining. ect because i admit you seem to walk for a long time between many attractions. like i said i enjoy that stroll its almost epcot like....but much more humid obviously. in fact that forestry feel may be what puts many people off.

LucyBC

I love AK and I could easily spend 3 days there. I don't go for the rides of the animals, I go for the whole package, the ambience, the trails, the experience. AK is neither a zoo or a ride park, so going there expecting these two things guarantees you will not like it.

I go for DHS for ToT and Fantasmic! and that is basically it, I always arrive after 4PM and I get all done by the time Fantasmic! starts.

StarWarsGirl

Oh, I love Animal Kingdom. This is not the general consensus, though.

I have an annual pass. so I can come and go to all of the parks as I please, so I'm not wasting any days on passes. I go there to see the animals, get on Everest five or six times, ride Dinosaur and Primeval Whirl at least once each, and get on the Safari a few times.
This is the park that I do the least often, though. Here are the reasons:
1. It tends to be the hottest park. While this is good in January or February if you get a cold week, it's not so good in August. So usually, I'm there for 2 weeks in August but only do it once or twice. If I go in June for a few days, I do it on the last day out of tradition
2. It's the largest park, meaning that it's very spread out. There's a lot of walking, which a lot of people don't like, and to get to Raffiki's planet watch, you have to take the train. It's easily been two years (about five trips) since I've been to Raffiki's because of this. It takes a lot of time to get over there.
3. The main attractors are the thrill rides. There are no dark rides and only one kiddie ride. If you don't like thrill rides and don't care about seeing the animals, then there's not a lot there for you.
4. It's kind of the after-thought, though they are working on an Avatar section. Personally, I think that a Mythical Creature section featuring an Avatar attraction or two is a better idea. At least they are adding to it, though.
5. It's the youngerster out of the bunch. It's only been open since 1998 (it's younger than me! Only park besides Blizzard Beach that is), so it hasn't had the time to fully develop the way that the other parks have.

In order to do Animal Kingdom and not be miserable, you have to know how to do it. We had friends that went and never got out of Camp Minnie Mickey. We fixed that the next time when they went with us. You also can't plan to spend eight hours there. You have to plan to go, do what you want to do, and leave and go to Magic Kingdom, Epcot, or Downtown Disney.

So yes, I find that it tends not to be a "favorite". Most families I talk to skip it. But you have to have reasonable expectations for it.

EPCOTCenterLover

DAK holds my favorite attraction, Everest, but it also keeps my interest the least after that is ridden. It's really sad because the park is beautiful. It's just been left stagnant for years.

The Empress Lilly

DAK holds my favorite attraction, Everest, but it also keeps my interest the least after that is ridden. It's really sad because the park is beautiful.
I share similar sentiments. I like DAK, I like what is there, but I have this great sense that with a slightly larger budget the park could've been so much better. There is so much potential there, that can be tapped with so little extra effort.

I mean, a DHS overhaul will require a budget the size of DCA's makeover. But DAK could achive so much with 'just' $500 million, the current going rate for building a Disney park land.

MickeyPeace

I've done the train ride so nope that's not reason. I do think you may have hit nail on the head though - you have kids. Maybe the fact I never saw it as a child (I'm too old!) and nobody I know who goes has children is the answer. Thanks - you may have cracked it :)

I don't have kids and I love going to Rifikis Planet Watch. I spend quite a bit of time there looking at the exhibits, talking with cast members who are eager to share stories about the animals and the conservation effort Disney is making around the world, relaxing in the booths while listening to the forest, watching the movies and yes petting the goats. It's fun and educational for adults too.

You might want to take a tour in AK. Ive done that and it was a great experience.

The Empress Lilly

I don't have kids and I love going to Rifikis Planet Watch. I spend quite a bit of time there looking at the exhibits, talking with cast members who are eager to share stories about the animals and the conservation effort Disney is making around the world, relaxing in the booths while listening to the forest, watching the movies and yes petting the goats. It's fun and educational for adults too.
I too love it out back in Rafiki! I always like Disney when it takes a serious approach. Disney can be so good at it.

Sofiesmom

AK is definitley our least favorite. We consider it a big zoo. I can go to a zoo here in Chicago. :rolleyes: I was going to skip it during this December's trip, but my friend that I am bringing with has never been there. Yay.

Riversiders

My husband and i love this park not only the rides ( expedition everest,kali river rapids) the food is great yak and yeti counter service is soooo good go there at least 5 times on our 10 day vacation the weather has always been great when we have visited AK just like the atmosphere

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom