Is the Animal Kingdom considered the least popular park?

JIMINYCR

I know many people I talk to who are first time guests have the impression that it's another zoo, but on Disney property. Many of those uninformed guests are going in with the wrong impression of what they will encounter and therefore are disappointed. Theres a lot of walking and great distances to cover and they do it with the attitude that they go from point A to B without really taking the time to enjoy the park. AK can be more if you go in with the right attitude and really see whats available to enjoy.

luv

It depends on who you talk to. AK and DHS are absolutely the two parks at WDW that people consider their least favorite.

I love the AK. It is totally my favorite WDW park. This changed over the years. First, it was Epcot. Then it was like an Epcot/MK mix. Then a MK/AK mix. Now it's just AK and has been for years.

DHS is my least favorite and always was. I have made trips to Orlando where I visited six parks and skipped DHS.

It's just a personal preference thing, but I LOVE the AK.

Jessie1991

Original Poster
I know many people I talk to who are first time guests have the impression that it's another zoo, but on Disney property. Many of those uninformed guests are going in with the wrong impression of what they will encounter and therefore are disappointed. Theres a lot of walking and great distances to cover and they do it with the attitude that they go from point A to B without really taking the time to enjoy the park. AK can be more if you go in with the right attitude and really see whats available to enjoy.

I am pretty sure I had the right attitude on the two occassions I went in but thank you for replying. I'm pleased you enjoy it.

Animaniac93-98

I believe in terms of attendence, historically, it has been the lowest for AK (though that has changed in the last 1-2 years). There was also a poll on this site that showed 2/3 of voters saying that if they had to skip 1 WDW park, AK would be it.

I believe when averaging all factors, AK is the "least popular" WDW park, but that does not mean nobody likes it or that it's nobody's favourite. It just means most like it less than the others.

It's my least favourite, but I have my reasons, just like those who have their reasons for saying it's their favourite.

Jessie1991

Original Poster
As I said I wasn't putting it down.

My observations are my own, everyone I know who's been and when I get the shuttle to the parks from my hotel nobody ever appears to get on or off there! I have looked at offical figures as Britt mentioned earlier that HS gets less and am amazed by that.

That's reason I asked - to find out why people like it/are not so keen. I'm happy to read everyone's opinion. It's interesting for me :)

rufio

I totally disagree! I absolutely love AK and the amount of detail. I love the shows there and we always have a blast :)

Now....the majority's consensus? You're probably right.

My least favorite park is easily HS

I agree with you! I normally don't spend the full day at AK, but then again, I don't spend a full day in any park without a break. The difference is, AK closes super early and is in the middle of nowhere, so we normally go somewhere else for the evening. But, we do normally go to AK at least twice during our trips. There is no way I would ever go to WDW without visiting AK!

FitzherbertFreak

See, right there you've admitted you're 1/2 crazy ;)

There are lots who agree with you! I've seen it a lot on here and was always taken aback because I love it so much!

Lots think I'm nuts for disliking DHS! Haha
I totally agree! DHS is my least favorite park. Toy Story Mania, Tower of Terror, and Rockin' Roller Coaster are all amazing rides. I just wish there were more rides, and more to do for younger kids/families.

AndyS2992

Oh no! Pet Peeve! I hate when people talk about Universal and compliment it on a DISNEY WEBSITE (!)

Why? They are both theme parks in the same area competing with each other and are relevant to each other. Not like Universal is bad, it deserves complimenting at times when Disney is under performing. Go to Uni boards and people compliment Disney there too. Nothing wrong with that.

Dad 2 M & M

The beauty of AK is that you enjoy an entire day there, and then close down MK or Epcot. Another strategy is to spend a day at AK that either MK or Epcot has an EME, and then go to DHS. DHS is much less crowded on the nights that MK or Epcot has the EME. When the Fantasmic show is on, one can repeatedly ride ToT, and the wait for RnR is greatly reduced. Just a thought.

We prefer DHS over AK, but just barely.

bubbles1812

Oh no! Pet Peeve! I hate when people talk about Universal and compliment it on a DISNEY WEBSITE (!)

You are going to get annoyed with this site then... I am an admitted fan of both parks and while Uni isn't perfect, they are doing a lot of great things that I wish Disney would and should do. There are plenty of others on here who praise Uni too...so that pet peeve of yours is going to be tweaked quite a bit. And if you didn't notice, there is an "other attractions" section of this board. It is not a crime to like both places. I love WDW and Universal both.

Anyways... I go back and forth on what is my least favorite. Either Epcot (I know, gasp!) or AK are probably my least favorite. I enjoy them both but not nearly as much as MK and even for all it's flaws, DHS

Slobby Bobby

Epcot is my least favorite. I said the same thing the last time we were there and had decided no more. This recent trip, was talked into it by my 8 year old and we all regretted the decision. The countries are good, but the rest of the park is completely lacking. MK of course is number one and then DHS and AK equally after that.

I think my feelings for AK, and DHS to some extent, stem from the fact that they weren't around when I was growing up, so I don't have the warm fuzzies for them like Epcot and MK.

Raven66

We love all the parks. We spend full days in all the parks and then go back for 1/2 days before we leave. I couldn't imagine not going to one of the parks. The very first time we took our daughter (she was 5 at the time) we decided not to do EPCOT because we thought it was to grown up for her. Well, we went the following year and loved it. Her favorite ride in EPCOT is Living with the Land. She will be 16 for our next trip, so no telling what will be her favorite now. Love love love them all!!

awoogala

love ak. I think a lot of people miss a lot of it by not doing the train ride. We spend a lot of great educational time there, between the passports, Dino park (excavating a dinosaur), and r's center. We adore Everest, dinosaur, the kids like the safari. My kids even love the goats. I also find the cm in the animal centers are amazing fonts of knowledge! T. House is our favorite restaurant in all of wdw (at least before it was a character meal-haven't tried it since!)

luv

I love Uni. I don't talk about it much, but only because nobody does, lol.

I happen to LOVE theme parks. That includes theme parks not owned and operated by Disney.

I really think people who limit themselves to Disney are missing out on so much. You can love ALL the parks, just like you can love all your kids.

Loving Sea World in no way diminishes my love for AK or IoA, KWIM?

Jessie1991

Original Poster
love ak. I think a lot of people miss a lot of it by not doing the train ride. We spend a lot of great educational time there, between the passports, Dino park (excavating a dinosaur), and r's center. We adore Everest, dinosaur, the kids like the safari. My kids even love the goats. I also find the cm in the animal centers are amazing fonts of knowledge! T. House is our favorite restaurant in all of wdw (at least before it was a character meal-haven't tried it since!)
I've done the train ride so nope that's not reason. I do think you may have hit nail on the head though - you have kids. Maybe the fact I never saw it as a child (I'm too old!) and nobody I know who goes has children is the answer. Thanks - you may have cracked it :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom