Is the 2018 WDW Christmas Party Worth it?

IanDLBZF

MVMCP is totally worth it! Much better than MNSSHP (which I never been too), especially since there's a variety of treats and Snow on Main Street USA. The park is barely crowded too, and makes a great chance to do the Mine Train or some of the other e-Tickets without a humongous line.
It's also a good chance to meet characters who aren't ordinarily out for M&Gs in the Parks (i.e. Scrooge McDuck, Abu, Moana, Nick & Judy) and even some in exclusive outfits! Tip - meet more elusive characters towards the beginning of the party (heck even before it starts) or after the fireworks.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
To answer the OP. No. Not worth it. That being said, you should try it once (especially if you have small children). Personally for me, spending $400 in tickets, for what amounts to a Christmas themed parade, Fireworks, and some shows...oh and some complimentary hot chocolate and cookies doesn't register on my "value" meter. Not that these offerings are bad....just not worth the extra money.

I get a better Christmas vibe walking around EPCOT during the holidays than I do the MK.

KeithVH

Holy Ravioli, Batman! I just checked the prices. $95/adult. No, it is not worth it by any stretch. The cost per value on this has really changed in the last 20 years. I'm not going to turn this into a "remember when?" post - it won't be relatable to many here. But they rave about all-you-can-eat cookies. No one mentions they're not really any good. Everyone goes gaga over rare characters (which aren't that many or that easy to get to). Is that really what defines a trip and justifies a Franklin per person? And unless they fixed the people issue, except for getting on rides, expect to deal with non-paying guests everywhere for the first hour or so (more if they're all buying something on Plush Street USA). Also, check the fine print as to what rides will/won't be open (and hope they don't close some early).

Don't get me wrong - we had amazing times IN THE PAST (90s to ~2005), after that, with price increases and offering changes (and declination by degrees), it's not really what it was. If you've never been, it IS definitely something to do at least once ($95 jeez).

I think this party is moving into the urban legend realm. Just like how many think/still wish December is slow when that concept went away a few years ago. Pretty soon, groupthink will catch up with this offering and, 2-3 years from now, this same question will get a completely different set of answers.

Tk0021

I am reluctantly going to the MVMCP. I did a lot of research on the MNSSHP last year and decided to go and i felt it was a mistake. I thought going to an early party ( early September) it would be less crowded and I was wrong.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I am reluctantly going to the MVMCP. I did a lot of research on the MNSSHP last year and decided to go and i felt it was a mistake. I thought going to an early party ( early September) it would be less crowded and I was wrong.
You are in for a world of hurt Tk. I'll be at WDW for 3 parties this year, there is absolutely no chance I go to any of them. Crowds being one of the big 3 reasons I won't give Disney $$$ for these parties anymore.

Tk0021

You are in for a world of hurt Tk. I'll be at WDW for 3 parties this year, there is absolutely no chance I go to any of them. Crowds being one of the big 3 reasons I won't give Disney $$$ for these parties anymore.
I know. I don’t really want to go but I am being out voted by my wife and two girls. Also, my parents love Disney at Christmas and they are up there in years and this is going to be their last trip so we are trying to make it a little special.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I know. I don’t really want to go but I am being out voted by my wife and two girls. Also, my parents love Disney at Christmas and they are up there in years and this is going to be their last trip so we are trying to make it a little special.
Good luck! It's funny, you're trip mirrors mine. We are taking our two boys, and my parents are coming along. Luckily all the adults in our party are on the same page as to the nature of the X-mas party. The last Christmas party my wife and I did, and we did many, we vowed to never go again.

Here's hoping you get lucky, and get a low crowd night.

harryk

Too many tickets sold - management has used it to just add $$$$$ - and seems to have forgotten about the guest experience.
The party is very good - but when it becomes too crowded - the party lessens greatly.

21stamps

Best thing to do is go on YouTube and see for yourself. Find a vlogger you trust and you'll have an excellent idea if it's for you.

I hate this trend.

OP- I’m going to say the opposite- Don’t watch it on YouTube first. Let the parade/shows be a surprise. :)

We’ve gone the past 2 years- last year the Friday before Thanksgiving, and 2 years ago on the Tuesday after. Had so much fun at each!
Last year we actually took advantage of the “free” snacks, which I do recommend.

We didn’t meet any characters, but that was our choice. Don’t worry about a spot for Wishes, they’re fireworks, you can watch the from most areas of the park. Last year we watched them from BTMR, and walked up to the entrance from Frontierland to finish watching. The year before we did watch from infront of the Castle. The parade is amazing, the cast members and guests all appear a little extra friendly- definitely ‘worth it’ in my opinion. :)

correcaminos

IMO neither of the parties are really 'worth it' though I did usually enjoy MVMCP more than MNSSHP (I really didn't like that one at all - one and done). I say try things though once and if you don't like it, at least you tried it.

slappy magoo

Yes there are shorter lines for the attractions(marginally, until late)But the lines for the special bits are out of control. You might wait 75 minutes to meet a special character.

I will say I had a blast and thought it was my best time at the magic kingdom, but I don't do character meets.

It's also a good chance to meet characters who aren't ordinarily out for M&Gs in the Parks (i.e. Scrooge McDuck, Abu, Moana, Nick & Judy) and even some in exclusive outfits! Tip - meet more elusive characters towards the beginning of the party (heck even before it starts) or after the fireworks.

We've only done the Xmas Party 2x, once when we only had one kid, who was only a baby. Our trip also coincided with one my sister took with her family and our mom. We didn't do any characters. Lines were short for attractions but the place seemed packed; I only assumed that while only people with wrist bands could get on attractions, see special shows, get the added cookies and cocoa, they weren't kicking anyone out of the parks who wanted to stay and see the parades and the fireworks, because hey, shops are open. So it did feel packed.

Now, the second one we went to, we had both kids, Slapperina was 7 and Slappetina was 4. We had no intention of going originally but we're suckers. And we had a great time, BUT the one thing I really regret was when Slappette saw Judy and Nick from Zootopia and decided we needed to be in that line because the kids loved the movie. It wound up being 90 minutes of our 5 hour experience. Nick & Judy "took breaks" twice in that time. And while up to that point my kids were always scared of fireworks, suddenly they really wanted to see them, and of course they started while the line was almost done. So we missed the beginning, got pre-printed autographs and a quick photo. We all agreed it wasn't the best use of our time.

On the flip flop, we rode every E-ticket that night, and in fact I think we rode Mine Train twice, and my youngest up to that point had never been on Space Mountain and felt like a hero after it was done. I remember posting the pic on FB with the caption "there are no more worlds left to conquer."

So...I would concur, unless someone in your family is a rare character bloodhound that must have a picture taken with those usually mothballed costumes, don't use your time that way. We're in fact going to WDW this year at a time where we can do MNSSHP and the kids are already in strategy mode, what we'll do when, and tops on the list is do not make time for M&Gs.

ppete1975

I miss when the characters just walked around... if you were lucky to see them you ran up gave them a hug. These long lines just to get a selfie kind of sucks. Although I remember being really sad I didn't see Donald duck (only character I really wanted to see) I did meet chip and dale though :) oh btw I was 8 its fine that I just wanted to hug cartoon characters

jloucks

I was going to go for the first time this year but the price is making me second guess it.

What are you're thoughts? Is it worth it? Will you be going this year?

Looking into my crystal ball........ all I can see are cats. That's weird. So, that didnt help at all, unless you like cats.

What I can say, is that when we went to the special paid christmas thingie last time, it was worth every penny. 10/10, would do again. ...I was a little full of egg nog at the end. High waddle scenario on the way out to the buses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom