Is pin trading still going on in WDW?

tigger1968

Another thing to remember is that a number of CM's may not be wearing a lanyard, but may wear a less visible square about 6" x 6" that hangs on their belt. I assume it's a safety issue due to some job requirements, but don't know for sure.

WDWFigment

Are there any locations where guests frequently meet to trade pins? I want to trade pins that may not be on a CM lanyard, but I also don't want to encounter only pin sharks, or those looking to trade the rarest-of-the-rare...

Eyorefan

Are there any locations where guests frequently meet to trade pins? I want to trade pins that may not be on a CM lanyard, but I also don't want to encounter only pin sharks, or those looking to trade the rarest-of-the-rare...

I love pin trading in the parks. It's a great way to talk to CMs and strike up conversations with other guests. I have only ever traded with CMs because in my experiance those guets that are ttrading with each other are the pin sharks and since I only do it for the fun and don't invest hug amounts of money into it, they look at what I have and snub their noses.

Also, a tip for a great place to trade with CMs is the Grande Floriden. Maybe it's because of the guests at the hotel that trade, or maybe the CMs there just buy nice pins to put on their layards, but every time I have been over there for something I have made several awesome trades.

janni518

:lol: We put up the kids pins and lanyards after our last trip about 7 years ago. Will have to dig them put of the closet before we go this time. Will be fun to see what's on them.

coasterphil

How do CMs end up with those lanyards. Is it something they volunteer to wear or what? I've always wondered how they come up with which CMs have pins.

MonoManBlue

The manager in a particular section gives out lanyards with pins and will also refill that particular lanyard.

CMs are REQUIRED to trade for any pin at any given time. The ONLY exception is that if the CM has an identical pin to the one your wanting to trade.
- In saying that, alot of people who are after the better pins, will use the 30 dollar (7 pin) sets, and you'll notice that quickly in the AM hours that CM's will often get these cheap pins on their lanyards from the trades.

Dwarful

If you live near a Disney Outlet store, stop by and see about cheap pins there. I recently bought a whole bag of pins for about $1.07 (each) w/tax at the Disney Outlet in Branson. (I was in Springfield Mo. for a conference and drove down to check out the outlet!). My girls are going through their lanyards on Thursday to sort through the ones they are willing to trade and the ones they can't part with.

You really have to watch yourself or it can get out of hand and very expensive, very quickly!

MonoManBlue

yea, I spent over $100 on pins..........but I have the whole collection of Hidden Mickey Monorails as well as MANY other cast exclusives!!!!

coilback

I've done a lot of pin trading and it can get addicting fast. The best way in my opinion to deal with it is to go on Ebay or places like pinfinder.com and buy the bulk "trading lots." I got a lot of 50 to split between my and my g/f this time because I got the 25 pin lot last time and we ended up buying another starter kit because we ran out of stuff we wanted to trade. It's much cheaper to do it this way. Also, pin trading is much more than just collecting, you get to strike up a lot of conversations with CMs and learn a lot of things. Many of them also have pin trading games (in March there was one at the Pin Trading Kiosk by the gate at Epcot and at the Outpost in World Showcase) which are fun as well. You also get treated a bit more like a veteran if you come up with a lanyard full of great pins. It's a lot of fun and I recommend it to anyone going.

ZapperZ

Just be warned that there's a strong possibility that some of the pins you got from bulk buying from ebay could be either counterfeit or scrapper pins. You might want to go to dizpins, for example, to check if some of what you got are scrappers. You don't want to trade these with either other serious pin traders or cast members who know their pin stuff, because they'll notice them.

Hint: take a whiff at each pin. If there's a strong smell of kerosene, it's a good bet that it is a scrapper. I know of pin traders who would not trade a pin if it has this odor, even if there's nothing obviously wrong with the pin.

Zz.

coilback

Just be warned that there's a strong possibility that some of the pins you got from bulk buying from ebay could be either counterfeit or scrapper pins. You might want to go to dizpins, for example, to check if some of what you got are scrappers. You don't want to trade these with either other serious pin traders or cast members who know their pin stuff, because they'll notice them.

Hint: take a whiff at each pin. If there's a strong smell of kerosene, it's a good bet that it is a scrapper. I know of pin traders who would not trade a pin if it has this odor, even if there's nothing obviously wrong with the pin.

Zz.

No, no odor and I've dealt with them several times with no issues. They all look legit (I've got quite a few pins now and many of them are bought at Disney so I have plenty to compare to) and none of them have ever been questioned. The backs look good, nothing weird and no smell as I said. I'm thinking they have cast member hookups and get a lot of stuff cheap because most of the ones you get are cast lanyard series stuff.

ZapperZ

No, no odor and I've dealt with them several times with no issues. They all look legit (I've got quite a few pins now and many of them are bought at Disney so I have plenty to compare to) and none of them have ever been questioned. The backs look good, nothing weird and no smell as I said. I'm thinking they have cast member hookups and get a lot of stuff cheap because most of the ones you get are cast lanyard series stuff.

Then you must have either a better luck or a better dealer. The ones that I've dealt with can't be trusted.

So, any chance of you giving out who your source is on ebay that you buy from? :)

Zz.

coilback

Then you must have either a better luck or a better dealer. The ones that I've dealt with can't be trusted.

So, any chance of you giving out who your source is on ebay that you buy from? :)

Zz.

I don't get them from Ebay - I was stating that there are some on there. If you look up top, I said I bought them from pinfinder.com

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom