Is Pandora being considered for any other Disney parks?

HongKongFooy

Start from scratch?????

I don't think so. Plans/drawings/engineering are stored and ready for use if needed and are certainly applicable to most any site.......with slight modification, of course.

Duplicating is cheap; that is why we see rehash on different continents(and domestically)

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
Start from scratch?????

I don't think so. Plans/drawings/engineering are stored and ready for use if needed and are certainly applicable to most any site.......with slight modification, of course.

Duplicating is cheap; that is why we see rehash on different continents(and domestically)
I could see Avatar added to Hong Kong or Shanghai due to how popular the movie was in China. I wonder if it could ever come to Disneyland or DCA?

lazyboy97o

The original announcement indicated that it would be built at multiple parks, but nobody has been interested. Disney has tried to sell it to their Asian partners without success.

Start from scratch?????

Everything has to be redrawn and engineered to work in a new location. There are cost savings but they are mostly up front and not a significant amount.

*Jules*

In the Parks
No
My question is how popular was the movie in those other areas where they have parks? If the movie was a huge success then it just might make sense to go ahead and do it. A ride such as Flight of Passage I think could be a success anywhere.

UNCgolf

My question is how popular was the movie in those other areas where they have parks? If the movie was a huge success then it just might make sense to go ahead and do it. A ride such as Flight of Passage I think could be a success anywhere.

I've never seen Avatar and still really enjoyed Flight of Passage for the scenery, so I'm sure it would work anywhere.

I hope it doesn't go anywhere else, though. The less cloning, the better.

*Jules*

In the Parks
No
I've never seen Avatar and still really enjoyed Flight of Passage for the scenery, so I'm sure it would work anywhere.

I hope it doesn't go anywhere else, though. The less cloning, the better.
I understand that 100%. I have only seen the movie once and thought it was pretty good, but nothing out of this world. I think what Disney did and how amazingly beautiful the entire area is, I know for myself I get captivated in the whole area when I am there.

yensidtlaw1969

I remember hearing some speculation that Pandora World of Avatar & Galaxy's Edge were proposed for the plot where Fantasy Springs is currently being built in Tokyo, but OLC wasn't interested.
Man, could you imagine Pandora and Galaxy's Edge being built in Tokyo DisneySea?? I enjoy those lands, but they have nothing to do with that park. Some serious revisions would need to be made to even come close to justifying that.

Unless the idea was to use that plot to build them as expansion of Tokyo Disneyland, which would be less crazy but still pretty bonkers.

Last edited:

mccgavin

Man, could you imagine Pandora and Galaxy's Edge being built in Tokyo DisneySea?? I enjoy those lands, but they have nothing to do with that park. Some serious revisions would need to be made to even come close to justifying that.

Unless the idea was to use that plot to build them as expansion of Tokyo Disneyland, which would be less crazy but still pretty bonkers.
Oddly enough, (and take this with a LARGE grain of salt) a couple years ago people were saying this was going to be a 3rd mini-gate which some were referring to as Tokyo DisneySky. Now in the scenario that this is true, it's pretty understandable why they didn't go through with it. The logistics of advertising and deciding upon the ticket price of a mini-park with only 2 lands could be understandable awkward.

yensidtlaw1969

Oddly enough, (and take this with a LARGE grain of salt) a couple years ago people were saying this was going to be a 3rd mini-gate which some were referring to as Tokyo DisneySky. Now in the scenario that this is true, it's pretty understandable why they didn't go through with it. The logistics of advertising and deciding upon the ticket price of a mini-park with only 2 lands could be understandable awkward.
Well . . . that would certainly have solved the thematic issues, at least.

Would the motivation behind a mini-gate be simply a lack of land for a full one?

mccgavin

Well . . . that would certainly have solved the thematic issues, at least.

Would the motivation behind a mini-gate be simply a lack of land for a full one?
Yes, if I'm not mistaken the plot of land is 24 acres. For comparison Galaxy's Edge takes up about 14 acres

ThemeParkTraveller

Yes, if I'm not mistaken the plot of land is 24 acres. For comparison Galaxy's Edge takes up about 14 acres

The full plot behind Tokyo DisneySea is actually a little over 34 acres, with an additional 12 acres or so if they also incorporated the parking lot beside Tokyo Disneyland's Tomorrowland. Definitely would have been a very small and awkwardly shaped park if those rumors about a third gate were true.

HongKongFooy

Everything has to be redrawn and engineered to work in a new location.

I'm sure you're right if we're talking about the grounds(waterways, mountains, walking paths) but the attractions like Navi and Flight even down to that ridiculous 'robotish' suit presentation has readily available drawings/safety plans/ scripts that can be recycled if needed.

Furthermore, and this part is pure conjecture/full guesswork here, what about so many of those 'plants' wouldn't they be created from multiple molds and casts(sitting in a warehouse) which would make duplication way, way more cheap and fast.

lazyboy97o

I'm sure you're right if we're talking about the grounds(waterways, mountains, walking paths) but the attractions like Navi and Flight even down to that ridiculous 'robotish' suit presentation has readily available drawings/safety plans/ scripts that can be recycled if needed.

Furthermore, and this part is pure conjecture/full guesswork here, what about so many of those 'plants' wouldn't they be created from multiple molds and casts(sitting in a warehouse) which would make duplication way, way more cheap and fast.
Even attractions have to be redrawn. The engineering needs to conform to the needs of the location. Even scenic elements could require reworking to conform with different regulations. Yes, molds for purely scenic pieces like the plants may have been saved by the vendors, but that only constitutes a very small portion of the work that goes into a land or attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom