Is late August hotter than July?

Princess Kaylee

Hey guys. I'm goin to WDW for the first time in August from 8/23 - 9/1. Every other time I have been to WDW it has been sometime in July. I was just curious of the late August heat as I expected it might not be as hot in late August as in July since summer is drawing towards an end. However someone told me it is more hot and humid in late August than in July. Just wanted to know your opinions on the heat.

We went in late August last year and it was unbearable. It was 112 degrees one day, and had record breaking temps. Prepare for the worst with heat stroke...

Tinksmama

We were in Disney last August 23-Sept 2. Yes it was hot and humid and a hurricane came through during our stay too! That said, we've also been there in the middle of June and experienced temps around 104! Unusual for that time of year we were told..lol
Anyway a hot humid day at Disney is still better than being in work ;) Have fun! Btw we planned an August trip again this year.

Walt d

I'm from Michigan too, I was wondering if it may be hotter here than it is in Florida this week. :lol: It's like 97 right now, and the other day they said the heat index was at 110 degrees. :eek: It's funny how that works, in the winter it falls to the negatives, but in the summer I think it gets to be just as hot as Florida sometimes, and, like Florida, MI is also a peninsula so we're not spared from the humidity either. :cry: I don't mind the heat as much as some people though.
Im at s/w mi. Have been at the world in august. Un bearable. 20017 july and august here, was hoter then orlando for those months. Here 95- 98. Wdw 90 and high humidity. Make you stay in the shower longer. And lake mi. The Person that said it might get to, 70. Its 75 or better. To years ago, when it was so hot. The lake was 85. And dont forget The monsoon rain at night . You would think its cool here its not’

Walt d

It is not just as hot in northern states! Florida is a sub tropical/tropical climate, the same cannot be said for northern states. You are crazy if you think Michigan or any other Northern State is as hot as it is in Florida during the summer. The thing you are forgetting is the sun down here is 10 times more brutal compare to up north. Your lake water never gets above 70° in the summertime. The ocean water down here gets so dang hot because of our climate. If it was truly that hot in Michigan the Great Lakes would warm up
Im in michigan was over at cocoa beach after being at the world, and there was a tropical storm coming through . 3 days later,the swell moved in Closer ,only a mile paddeled out in to the line up, to 16 foot surf. With no wind, i never surfed such big clean waves. Yes i like disney and the Ocean in fall. And your storms rock. We need wind here to make waves, have surfed in mi, on s/w wind from a hurricane. Here, best thing no sharks”

Hot, but you're also more likely to see some rain than in July. I went two years ago (on almost the same days you are) and almost every day we got about one hour of rain. The weather was still incredible, though.

crxbrett

This past summer was my first DW trip that was not in July. Instead I decided to go the last week of August and 1st week of Sep. Huge difference. We only had 3 days that were over 90 degrees this trip, where as on my July trips I would say 90% of the days have been 90+, even a few near 100. I also noticed the night time temps being about 3-5 degrees cooler than what I've experienced on most of my July trips.

I attached a quick spreadsheet I made using weather data for the past 10 years in Orlando for both the last week of July and last week of August to showcase the difference. Last week of August generally looks to be about 2-4 degrees cooler in the day and about 2 degrees cooler for the lows. The mean avg is also about 2 degrees cooler in August than in July for that last week. Now precipitation-wise, August definitely appears to be a lot more rainy. Almost a quarter of an inch more per day avg than in July. While compiling the data, I noticed there were days in July that got as high as 98 and 95-97 degree days were not uncommon in July. Likewise, there were a few lows that were 81-83 and 78-79 was not uncommon in July. But August never saw any highs go above 96 (and 96 was rare) and never had a night go over 78.

By the way, I realize this thread is old now, but figured someone could always use the data.

weather.PNG

slappy magoo

This past summer was my first DW trip that was not in July. Instead I decided to go the last week of August and 1st week of Sep. Huge difference. We only had 3 days that were over 90 degrees this trip, where as on my July trips I would say 90% of the days have been 90+, even a few near 100. I also noticed the night time temps being about 3-5 degrees cooler than what I've experienced on most of my July trips.

I attached a quick spreadsheet I made using weather data for the past 10 years in Orlando for both the last week of July and last week of August to showcase the difference. Last week of August generally looks to be about 2-4 degrees cooler in the day and about 2 degrees cooler for the lows. The mean avg is also about 2 degrees cooler in August than in July for that last week. Now precipitation-wise, August definitely appears to be a lot more rainy. Almost a quarter of an inch more per day avg than in July. While compiling the data, I noticed there were days in July that got as high as 98 and 95-97 degree days were not uncommon in July. Likewise, there were a few lows that were 81-83 and 78-79 was not uncommon in July. But August never saw any highs go above 96 (and 96 was rare) and never had a night go over 78.

By the way, I realize this thread is old now, but figured someone could always use the data.

View attachment 272740

It was cool to provide the info, even if the thread is old (and no crap dad humor intended with "cool").
But just for perspective, most of my trips are in late August - my wife is an educator, we live in NJ, she does not believe in taking days off to go on vacation when she gets whole summers off. Late August, most schools are back in session but not so much in our neck of the woods. So that's our optimum window.
Last time we went during late August was in 2016, and then again 2 years before that. Temps were pretty much always over 90 and real feel was over 100. The kind of temps where you start to sweat the moment you step outside. We often canceled plans to go back to the parks, we'd swim even more than usual and then since we were staying at Bay Lake, either eat in a Contemporary restaurant or take the monorail over to Poly or GF. If we went anywhere else, we'd drive, not take buses and just the walk to the car we'd be drenched. Weather is always a crap shoot anywhere you go, but Florida weather is like a crap shoot in a back alley behind an abandoned asbestos factory where the guy running the game has 6 gold teeth and keeps interrupting the game to ask if you're sure you don't want to go see a dead body because from this distance you sure don't look like a coward.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Hey guys. I'm goin to WDW for the first time in August from 8/23 - 9/1. Every other time I have been to WDW it has been sometime in July. I was just curious of the late August heat as I expected it might not be as hot in late August as in July since summer is drawing towards an end. However someone told me it is more hot and humid in late August than in July. Just wanted to know your opinions on the heat.
It depends on the year honestly. It can be hotter but it may not be. Either month is going to be like walking on the surface of the sun, but if you know how July feels then August won’t likely feel much different. One thing you should enjoy is lower crowds. End of August is much slower than July with the Southern schools back. Just drink plenty of fluids and pack some extra underwear ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom