Is it worth it??

twinnstar

Hi All! Hope you had Happy Holidays all around.

I am sure it's because I spent my morning reading a lot of negative threads on here, but I find myself a bit bummed out in regards to our trip next year. I see a lot of repair and bad cover ups that need to be done throughout the parks, and I have read several places that my favorite place, EPCOT, was barely decorated for the holidays this year. We have been looking forward to that holiday feeling on our next trip, esp. the Christmas Party!

So, am I just reading too many 'doom and gloom' posts lately, or should I be worried? :confused:

its worth it. i have been reading this board for quite a while - i read all the negative, sad, angry threads, and then when i get to WDW i either have no idea what anyone is talking about, forget about it or i just simply dont care. WDW is WDW. I cant think of anything that compares, and until I do, a few negatives wont outweigh the huge positive of going and having a maaaaagical time! cliche, i know...but true :)

rsoxguy

May I add a word or two as I wax philosophical? I believe that much of the criticism on this forum is not without merit, while I also believe that much of the WDW enthusiasm expressed here is fully justified. I understand that certain members come here with an agenda in mind, and that's OK. Everyone is here for an individual purpose. We are a strange lot as members of a forum that has its focus on WDW. The level of passion that sends people to either side of the aisle can not be taken as a standard by any individual.

I know people who are quite passionate about automobiles, and their passion leads them toward heated discussions with others who share a similar interest. Me, I just get in and use my car to get me places faster than my legs can manage. I understand the points that they make, but such things are fairly inconsequential to me personally.

When I go to WDW, I enjoy a whimsical atmosphere that provides entertaining attractions, and I laugh a lot with people that I love. If the quality of WDW degrades to intolerable levels, then I will stop attending the parks. Until then, I will attempt to enjoy myself with no one's opinion in mind but my own.

ParentsOf4

Parentof4

don't like it don't go.
I see you are new to these boards and so perhaps are unaware that your suggestion has been posted many times before. The short answer is I like WDW. I like it so much that I want it to be better. Are you suggesting you want it to be worse? I like it so much that I want it to cost less. Are you suggesting you want it to cost more?

And to save you time, I'll answer your next retort with a slightly longer response.

I've been visiting WDW for over 30 years, back when inflation-adjusted prices were one-fourth what they are today, back when entire theme parks were added, back when new attractions were "WOW" like Tower Of Tower, back when maintenance was meticulous. Anyone who truly appreciates what WDW once was can't be satisfied with what it is today. Anyone who really, dare I say it, loves WDW can't be pleased with what corporate America has turned it instead of what Walt Disney wanted it to be.

All of us like WDW. Just some of us want to see a better WDW.

JillC LI

True. There are a lot of threads here w/ very valid points on a lot of things, but if I read too many it starts to seem like WDW is now akin to a run down playground, and I haven't been since May 2011, so I'm a little unsure how bad some things have gotten. My main worry was that EPCOT (which I agree needs a lot of work!) would not be decorated as I had hoped. It would take me a LOT to cancel a trip, but I don't want to be disappointed either.

I think I need to find some positive threads!!! :)

Read my recent Trip Report about our surprise holiday trip for the kids. It is 100% positive!

Britt

I see you are new to these boards and so perhaps are unaware that your suggestion has been posted many times before. The short answer is I like WDW. I like it so much that I want it to be better. Are you suggesting you want it to be worse? I like it so much that I want it to cost less. Are you suggesting you want it to cost more?

And to save you time, I'll answer your next retort with a slightly longer response.

I've been visiting WDW for over 30 years, back when inflation-adjusted prices were one-fourth what they are today, back when entire theme parks were added, back when new attractions were "WOW" like Tower Of Tower, back when maintenance was meticulous. Anyone who truly appreciates what WDW once was can't be satisfied with what it is today. Anyone who really, dare I say it, loves WDW can't be pleased with what corporate America has turned it instead of what Walt Disney wanted it to be.

All of us can like WDW. Just some of us want to see a better WDW.
But doesn't it become the same thing as saying "yes it's worth it"? If you're willing to spend the thousands of dollars it takes and be happy with your trip...it must be worth it :) it's not saying anything we're not.

Now..if you stopped going, as well as everyone else who feels the way you do (there are a lot), then maybe WDW might change...but as it stands....you just like it, but are willing to drop the thousands anyway...why would they change? :)

HouCuseChickie

I think part of the problem here is that worth is a rather subjective matter. The reality is there are a number of other factors impacting those doom and gloom posts/thread. Some people are more inclined to be bothered about the issues than others, but some issues are also bigger than others. Some people don't have as much perspective as others and are therefore more forgiving or totally blind to legit issues. Some people exaggerate, but it's usually well intentioned b/c they love this place and hate seeing the directions some things are going. Some people are trolls and just like to stir the pot. Some people are so blinded by the magic or at least have enough complacency toward the negative in it all that it just doesn't bug them. And some people have just had the misfortune to have more negative experiences than others. (just a sample of the possibilities)

So, is it worth it to you? That all really depends on you. Is the place on the verge of being condemned like some people would make you believe...absolutely not. However, it has issues and you need to try and see if any of those issues coupled with the price make it worth it. I'm currently grappling with this issue and may just give WDW a rest for a while. We had an amazing trip to WDW last month, but the issues (especially ones that have me thinking about the $ I put into it) have me looking in other directions for our next few big trips. We shall see.

bethymouse

I will go until I just can't "go" anymore.;) Though our recent trip September 2012 was a bit disheartening (stayed at POLY for 1st time, and rooms were being renovated) ( COP needed a serious reupholster job of seats) ( paint jobs all around needed)...
We're hoping to go in 2014 when the Mine Train is ready to go. I guess by then, there will still be "new" construction and such. But, we missed TT ( our favorite). I knew it was a huge refurb, and I didn't think it'd make too much of a difference, but it kinda did.:eek: Bottom line, go and enjoy!:D

DVC4bestvacations

All of us can like WDW. Just some of us want to see a better WDW.

that is not how you come across. It's sounds like complaining not by any means constructive. I too have been vacationing at WDW for 30 + yrs. I'm a DVC member since '00.

You know the walt disney company was days away from going belly up in the 80's. Walt was in it to make money too don't kid yourself. How much money did they spend on the new fantasyland. Not where I would have spent the money but I'm not going to abouit it.

I came to this site to gain info and constructive opinions for a 7 day visit in January Not to hear people like you about things they have no control over.

LambertLion

Absolutely worth it.

I considered Reykjavik, Dublin, and WDW for my January vacation this Winter. All would have cost about the same - Around $800 for RT airfare and a week of a middling decent hotel. (ASMusic in this case.)

I love travel, and will surely visit these other places another time. As much as I love the parks, favorite characters, and as much as I go to WDW often anyway, I chose WDW this Winter because I wanted a vacation where I was with old friends, in comfortable surroundings, and where I didn't have to lift a finger. My end of the bargain is showing up at the airport and having a good time in awesome surroundings. I love that.

71dsp

I'm not suggesting you don't go. I'm not suggesting you shouldn't enjoy yourself when you do go. I am suggesting if you want things to get better, let people know. Let Disney know. Once enough paying customers express their displeasure, either on public forums or directly, WDW will change. Businesses really do listen to paying customers. However, as long as paying customers continue to insist "Remain calm. All is well!", the people running WDW will behave exactly as if all is well.

I would be interested to see what impacts the decision making more - chatter on various media outlets (TV, radio, internet forums, blogs, etc) or a decline in revenue? I would think something like a sports team sees quite a decline in attendance during a bad year (and likely the same from merchandising), but I'm not convinced that WDW sees the same pattern of revenue. I would be very interested to see the stats on ticket sales vs. number of times visited (i.e. first time visitor, second, etc.). I would think the "hardcore" fans make up a very small percentage. I could very well be wrong. This type of thing is not in my line of expertise.

As for the ticket price, I never visited 20 years ago or even looked at the inflation adjusted increase in ticket prices. To me it's irrelevant. What I'm more interested in is what the experience is like today and what it costs to get in today. Magic Kingdom costs $89 for a 1-day ticket and is cheaper with multiple day tickets (not including any options). For what you get at MK, I think that's pretty darn good, regardless of what the tickets cost in the past. Just my opinion, though.

So I guess to me, yeah, it's totally worth it. If it's not worth it to you, why would you bother to go? If you vote with your hard earned money by not going, then you're really making a statement. If enough people do the same, WDW will surely take notice and change. For me, the good stuff greatly outweighs the bad stuff, so I rarely come back disappointed. :)

donaldtoo

WDW is ALWAYS worth it ;)

You wouldn't divorce your spouse because he or she gets a wart, would you?

What if said spouse had several warts they did not think needed removing, failed to clean, groom and maintain their body on a regular basis, and parts of them were breaking down all the time in direct relation to that neglect...? o_O :D ;)

DVC4bestvacations

Wow, it sounds like we have a lot in common. Both been going to WDW since the 1970s, both DVC members and, of course, both love WDW.

If you look more closely at Saul Steinberg's 1984 attempted hostile takeover, you'll realize at no point was
Walt Disney Productions (the name of The Walt Disney Company at the time) at risk of "going belly up". Quite the contrary. The issue was the Disney company was underperforming resulting in the stock being undervalued, something corporate raiders such as Steinberg love taking advantage of. If he had succeeded, it's possible he could have sold off its most valuable assets such as its film library and the theme parks, but both would have endured under the umbrellas of other corporations while the Disney company almost certainly would still exist, just not as the huge conglomerate that it is today. From a theme park perspective, it's arguable whether WDW might be in better shape in 2012 if it was run by a company more focused on the amusement park business. In the long run, Steinberg's move helped, forcing the Walt Disney Productions to end its long period of doldrums and bring on the team of Eisner/Wells to get the company moving once more. Of course, it's also Eisner who was primarily to blame for the maintenance cuts that caused so many problems at both WDW and DLR. TWDC just spent $1.1B to "fix" DLR. Let's hope they'll spend money to "fix" WDW as well.

It's nice that you came to this site looking for "constructive opinions for a 7 day visit in January". Of course, you posted on a thread titled "Is it worth it??" One might expect that such a thread would actually discuss whether or not WDW was worth it. If you did not want to participate in such a discussion, perhaps you should have posted on threads that were more to your liking.

Going back to this thread's topic, the question "Is it worth it" implies an evaluation against price. Seeing that a ticket today costs double what it did in 2002 while the theme parks actually have fewer attractions and guest experiences today than they did in 2002, IMHO WDW is not "worth it". Do I like it? Yes. Am I glad other people enjoy it? Yes. Is it a good place to vacation? Yes. Is it worth it? No.

It's just my opinion and discussion forums such as this are for people to actually discuss things, including their opinions.

Sorry we started off on the wrong foot I don't agree that the original post said anything about the cost of going to WDW. The post stated the from what they read here is that WDW sounded like a run down play ground.

I do agree that the cost of vacationing here has become very expensive. I was shocked at the price of passes and dinning plans. We have not spent a week here since '06. Just one night stays before an after disney cruises. That being said I cannot pass judgement as to the state of repair of WDW.
I think the prices are in tune with the increases in the cost of living. The problem for me (and many americans) is we are not making as much as we did in 2000. If I couldn't use my DVC points to book a Disney cruise I would have sold them long ago. It is cheaper to buy one of the vacations packages for a moderate resort.

I joined wdwmagic to help with my WDW pre vacation planing. I guess WDW parks general discussion wasnt the best place to look for it. I found some great info on the dinning forum.

Siren

Yes, it's worth it. Of course, that's my opinion. You will have to go and find out for yourself but I hope you start to get excited about your trip again - there is no reason why you shouldn't be.

Rasvar

Is it worth it? I will still say yes. I still go. I don't go as much and I don't spend anywhere near what I use to spend. So on a relative basis yes, it is worth it. It really depends on if you are enjoying yourself. I know I and others point out things that could be (and probably should be) better. About the only answer I have definitively changed in the last year is the answer to the question "should I go to WDW or DLR?" Up until this year, my answer had always been WDW. Until WDW cleans up its act, I think DLR is the better choice if that is an option. That is probably my biggest change in the last year.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Each to their own, but I have chosen to spend my money where I will get a maximum return. Orlando in general is a little stale so Ill miss it for a few years and go elsewhere till all the new attractions are open. Its a big friggin world, and as the clock moves relentlessly forward theres still plenty of it I want to see.

bwmicklejr

Got back 2 weeks ago from my first Christmas time visit in 25 years. The bus service is terrible. Hotel staff left a little to be desired. Waitstaff at restraunts seemed disinterested in us because as a group of six, the tip was guarenteed.

Was the trip worth it? Without a doubt. Epcot looked very nice. Do we want the Streets of America everywhere? I thought cast members inside the park were amazing as usual. Even the other vacationers seemed more polite than usual. (I never saw more people offer thier seats to elderly visitors and parents holding children than on this trip). And, oh yeah, we were at flippin Disney World!

It's not quite as perfect as it once was. but, 80% of WDW is better than 100% of most other places. And I get that my continuing to pay only enhances their position that they don't have to be 100% to make money, but that's supply and demand. If you disagree, make your stand. But cutting off your nose to spite your face accomplishes nothing.

Go and have fun. We did. And I'll do it again. And again. etc.....

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No
Walt Disney is a very magical place. There are things there that need improved on or giving better attention to, and I believe people (including myself) would like to see some of the revenue being used for some maintenance instead of going other places:) HOWEVER, Wdw is STILL an incredible place to visit. it is still IMHO one if the most magical and best places to go:) I leave in a few weeks with my family and my niece (it is her first time), and I am so excited I am already packing!!

When you go you will most likely have a great magical time! Yes you will probably notice some of the not so magical things people post about, but you will most likely still have a great time filled with many happy memories.....thus the magic of Disney:) I am pretty sure the magic is still there, so go and enjoy it!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom