Is it safe to say Dreamfinder's coming back yet?

Since1976

I think Tony Baxter got wind of JIYI revamp rumors / plans and was putting Iger on the spot. It's no secret that Baxter disagrees with some of the company's recent creative decisions, so for his last hurrah he wanted to perhaps get Iger to commit to something the fans have been clamoring for.

Personally, I don't think the return of Dreamfinder will necessarily be a cure to the pavilion's woes, unless they also have plans for an attraction that matches or surpasses the wild creativity and abstract trippiness of the 1983 original.

The Empress Lilly

Dreamfinder is a weird bearded neo-hippy. I want him back mostly because Figment doesn't make sense without him. But as a character himself Beardfinder isn't all that interesting or appealing.

I'm with Since1976 since 19 minutes ago. DF's return will not necessarily be a cure to the pavilion's woes.

bgraham34

I believe this topic has been discussed on the board. It really does not matter what Tony Baxter thinks, Disney is probably just happy he is not with the company full time.

MerlinTheGoat

As far as we still know, @WDW1974 has stated that the Imagination is supposed to close for a while near the beginning of 2014. And when it reopens again it will be a completely different experience from what it is now (both the ride and the 3D movie). I also recall HMF asking whether Dreamfinder's major appearance at D23 was hinting at the pavilions potential future and '74 said yes.

Odd that Disney hasn't yet made it public that Imagination is going to go down for a while. Supposedly January, and that's now only a few months away.

Since1976

Odd that Disney hasn't yet made it public that Imagination is going to go down for a while. Supposedly January, and that's now only a few months away.

If this is true, possibly Disney is following the same tactic Universal used with the expanded Simpsons area. They won't announce it until construction is partway done, so as to minimize overblown anticipation. When the pavilion reopens, it will be more like a surprise gift to the guests than a gatebuster.

MerlinTheGoat

I was more referring to an announcement of its closure, not an announcement of any changes to it. Though I suppose it's plausible they won't bother with such an announcement because almost no one ever visits the ride anymore at all anyways, it won't be missed by many people for certain.

Figments Friend

This has been a hot topic for JII fans for ages....and Tony*s comments during D23 reflected what many of us have been hoping for with the eventual re-do of the Pavilion.

It will take more to restore this once-wonderful location in EPCOT then simply bringing back a beloved character from the past. There is indeed a reason why the Dreamfinder is so beloved, and that reason is that many fans associate him with the Original amazing attraction.
That association is a strong one, and i would say 85% of his appeal is based solely on that nostalgic connection.

That being said, the character represented something important to a lot of us fans...and the other 25% of his appeal comes from this. The role he played, and what aspect of the creative process he represented in the Original attraction was a clever and memorable one.
Add into the mix the original impish Figment, and it was a perfect cast to tell the story of *Gathering, Storing, and Re-Combining*.

If Dreamfinder is to come back, it needs to be for the RIGHT reasons.
What i mean by that is this - He needs to have a attraction worthy of his presence again, and not just tossed in haphazardly just to appease the fans.
That is the challenge....to come up with a NEW experience that takes the wonderful creative spirit clearly inheirent in the Original attraction and bring that into today*s setting for today*s audiences.

NO half-measures or *value engineering*.
NO IP character overlays ( Pixar or otherwise).
NO gimmicky tech overpowering the experience.

Time will tell, but i have a good feeling.

I was told a few months ago that Tony is involved from a advisors standpoint on the re-do....being *allowed* to twiddle it through his hands and give some beneficial imput.

Let us hope those involved in the task of re-Imagineering this Pavilion that so desperately needs to be *imaginative* again listen to what Mr.Baxter has to offer.

Last edited:

aladdin2007

And maybe that is a problem. No commitment. Maybe it won't close for refurb.[/quote]

I asked spirit about this last week in the thread hes been reporting in off and on, and he basically said he hasnt heard anything more one way or the other. so it all kinda sounds up in the air. I still think were going to see it shuttered to save costs and closed a long time before they do anything with it. Look how long it took just to install and open fairytale hall. :banghead:

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
That would be stupid to keep that pavilion closed, especially one you can see thru out the park unlike Wonders of Life. After all the trauma of loosing many great attractions or seeing them get totally ruined they owe us. If Disney wants to make me happy they would bring back my #1 favorite attraction to ever be on any Disney grounds. I keep posting about Illuminations, Spectromagic and Horizons but the original Journey into Imagination inside and out will always be #1 on my list.

Goofyernmost

I believe this topic has been discussed on the board. It really does not matter what Tony Baxter thinks, Disney is probably just happy he is not with the company full time.
Why? I just dont know much and curious
Because Tony is old school. He is also creative and feisty. In other words to management he is a PITA. He, like so many others, refuses to accept that Disney's mission is 50 years removed from Walt's vision. Many, including me, think that it is a mistake to have gone that far off the path, but, like us, Tony had no control over what current Management envisions for the parks and, I'm sure, they are happy to not have him around constantly. That, unfortunately, is a fact of life. We may not approve of it, but, that doesn't stop it from being the way it is.

Cmdr_Crimson

I'm pretty sure this is the answer as of right now....
giphy.gif

The future tho....Who knows?

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
I have no hopes for Epcot, There are some awesome things happening to Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios and I'll be focusing on them. It's going to be another CEO and a totally different era before anything happens. The fact they actually got a real laser show again at Epcot is a pure miracle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom