Is it really worth it?

brkgnews

It all depends on short-range vs long-range. Yes, you could probably get the same amount of vacation for the money over the first five or six years. After that, the tables tilt heavily toward DVC, since you eventually get to a point where you're only paying maintenance fees, rather than fees plus your interest.

Plus you have to keep in mind that if attendance increases, free dining could be discontinued.

So... it's really a personal choice. Take the tour or call them -- no hassles or pressure (mouse's honor!) -- and get the info on whether or not it's right for you. For some people it is, for some it isn't.

Remember the room rates have soared since 2000 when I joined.I like the deluxe resorts and my upcoming trip would have cost me around $3,000 to $5,000 dollars.My trips are 10 nights or more twice a year so to me im okay with it and I was allways against time shares but Disney has it right with you telling them when and not here is your week.This trip in 27 days will be our 8th annual 4th of July trip so it helps making family traditions a reality.If I had to come up with $5,000 for a trip we would never had gone more then one time but for people who could afford that then good for you.I have to work a 2nd job to secure a life time of memories.I have 3 daughters so I got 3 Disney timeshares that I will give to them when they get married.I hope they will still take me.

If you feel it's not worth it's okay We have plenty of members

tiggerguy

slappy magoo

Does it really end up being worth it, when Disney offers packages that include free dining?

Well, there's no guarantee that WDW will keep offering the free dining promotion, and there might not be an guarantee you'll be able to go when they have the free dining promotion, or that you'll book a room in enough time to qualify for the promotion.

Sometimes, it seems like DVC is the vacationing equivalent of a Costco superstore. When you go shopping, Costco provides consistently decent prices. Now, if you pay attention, check out circulars, can afford to wait, then you can find great super sales on the things you need that are comparable or maybe even better than the Costco, BUT you gotta be vigilant and you gotta be patient. Or you can just go to Costco and get their regular, consistently decent prices.

So, when it comes to DVC, there might always be super deals that makes you go, aww man I should've just gotten that deal. But then again, maybe not. Maybe to get that deal, you'll have to go during an inconvenient time. DVC owners aren't limited like that.

We save $400 on our annual passes. That discount may not be around forever, but the free dining may not be around either.

For us, it's worth it and not so much for the money saved, but for the fact that we will have vacations for years to come. I can't put a price on the memories we created in our 8 years of membership. I also know that, without the DVC, we'd have skipped most of those vacations due to other financial obligations.

I've said it many times before in my posts and I'll say it again: taxes, braces, tuition, "life events" (graduations, sweet 16s, family weddings), can get in the way of putting money aside for vacation. DVC means your room is waiting for you. Welcome Home!

disbest

It depends on how often you visit Disney. We estimated our break even to be 10 years. Also keep in mind that you can sell you DVC any time and recover your costs. Some DVC's sell at a premium and those owners actually made a profit on their purchase such as the BCV. You can also rent your DVC if you don't wish to use it for a particular year. Also, keep in mind that a DVC is equivalent to staying at a deluxe resort. A one bedroom includes a full kitchen, deck, garden tub(whirlpool), living room and many other extras. You can not compare it to a small motel style room. Also, unlike the packages you are not limited to a particular time of year.

You really need to do a cost analysis to determine if it is worth it. Also before buying check out the resale market. There are some great deals on all DVC's.

We Think So

My DW and I just celabrated our 26th wedding aniversary in New York City. We stayed at the Lowes Regency:snore: on Park Ave. between 61st and 62nd for two nights. It's about a block from Central Park. We used our points on the hotel room. It's one of the concierge collection hotels for DVC. What a hotel...then we used our DVC membership to purchase discount tickets to the new Broadway show Tarzan. We were all over the city and had a great time. When my wife and I are gone someday, my kids and grandkids can continue to use this membership all over the world. Is it worth it? Heck yea!!!:king:

Peachyyy

of course!

As i returned today from my 12 day vacation to southern california and las vegas...my short answer is this........ABSOLUTELY. :)

KHockett

My husband and I are thinking of joining. However, what specifically are the discounts on annual passes and dining? The guy at the desk mentioned significant discounts on these two items, but I was wondering if anyone had specifics. Thanks.

mprewitt

My husband and I are thinking of joining. However, what specifically are the discounts on annual passes and dining? The guy at the desk mentioned significant discounts on these two items, but I was wondering if anyone had specifics. Thanks.

You get a $100 discount off the price of the Annual Pass. Please be aware that the perks like this are subject to change and should not be used in making a decision to join DVC. This discount could disappear in the future.

DisneyPhD

There are a number of WDW dining locations (to many to list) where DVC members get 10-20% off. DVC members can also get the dining plan (not free) without having to purchase a package that includes room and park tickets. There are also merchandise discounts at many of the downtown disney stores (not in the parks though). All discounts are subject to change without notice and may be discontinued.

Magic Maker

No it's not, in fact I am quitting my job right now because of the free dining, DVC is a sham!

LOL JUST KIDDING. In fact I am off to work at Boardwalk and I am excited to share the secret with families today. Hopefully they will see the light and tour at DSSR today.

It is up to you if it is something that will make sense for your family, but until you tour or call us and get the info straight from the source you'll never know for sure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom