Is it possible to avoid characters at Disney?

Vader2112

Hey let's have an everyone dress as your farvorite Foam head day at WDW all parks and resorts...
What days did you say you would be there again OP?

From what I understand, exposure therapy can actually be really helpful for those with phobias. Perhaps you can push the trip off and work on that prior to it?

bubbles1812

Well... If this is actually real (Sorry, I'm skeptical)...
I think you are SOL if you are afraid of seeing characters in foam heads, at least from a distance. Otherwise, you can avoid them just fine by not watching the parades or getting in line for characters. Before you go, I would also encourage you to go to a good therapist for several good long sessions to get some coping techniques in case you do have some sort of encounter that sets you off.

jw24

First off, never let others or yourself force you to do anything you're not comfortable with. If you want to face your fears, that choice has to be up to you and if you need comfort from others, I would think they'll do anything they can to help. Otherwise, if you don't want to face your fears, that's fine, too. You're not a coward by any means. We all have a comfort zone and it's really up to ourselves in terms of deciding whether we want to step out of the zone or not. Some are willing to do it, others don't.

It's perfectly fine to avoid characters. Some people do it to not lose time going on the rides. Others are just not that interested to begin with. I love meeting characters myself but I would never force myself to get into a M&G line if I didn't want to meet the character in the first place! Most of the characters in WDW are at designated spots and don't roam about like they do in Disneyland in CA. I mean, the only time they'll be outside their spot is when they're walking with the greeter to take a break or they're finished with their break and coming back to meet guests. There's always a greeter walking with them and the characters don't go by themselves to their designated spots is what I understand. (I think probably the only time you'll see a character returning to their spot by themselves will more likely be a face character like a princess, Peter Pan, Alice, Mary Poppins, for instance.) I sincerely doubt some character will randomly approach you out of nowhere in WDW. You may think that's the case by seeing stuff on TV but that hardly ever happens in WDW. And like everyone has said, parades and some shows are probably not suitable.

I'm not exactly sure how serious is your phobia. I mean, if you just want to meet face characters, that's perfectly fine. Your post didn't say anything about face characters like the princesses, Aladdin or Peter Pan, for instance. So I assume seeing those characters are not a problem. I mean, face characters are much easier to interact with and they want you to feel comfortable. But if you have a fear of any character for that matter, just place yourself as far away from the line and character as possible would be what I suggest. But if just the sight of them alone from any distance triggers fear, anxiety and other things, it's okay to look away or even close your eyes. You'll definitely need someone to comfort you if an anxiety attack happens or something. If you know where the characters meet, I'm sure you can plan your trip around them and by that I mean, know where exactly they meet and avoiding those areas. Hope this helps.

Polydweller

Never underestimate a phobia. Until you have one you will never understand how it controls.
You should know, you are saying that to a Psychologist ( as well as a few other things in an eclectic career ). I know phobias.

But in this case the OP is still at one post on both boards. I would expect them to have made a few more comments from them by now.

WED99

Some of you are being very quick to assume it's a troll. She made it very clear that she has never been to Disney before so you wouldn't expect her to have an account already. She also would have no clue what anyone is talking about so what would she comment on? The whole two boards thing could just be her rushing to get an answer, she said she wants to know so they can hurry up and book. The phobias are real which means someone has to have them so there is a chance she's being legitimate.

Plus, who would waste their time writing out such a meaningless troll?

Wikkler

On our weeklong trip, the only characters we saw were Woody in Frontierland, Goofy near the entrance of EPCOT, the UP characters in DAK, and Belle. In her... thing.

ChampageTraveller

Original Poster
Hi all :)

Thanks for the replies, really appreciate all the information, tips and support.

Not a troll, I assure you, wondered if anyone would ask if I was serious, after all you think Disney you think characters right so everyone must love them who goes.... I just have an uber busy job so don't get a lot of time to post on message boards, and as someone pointed out I'm new to Disney so hence why I have never posted anything before, I've never needed to register on a disney forum. I wouldn't have taken the time to write that epic first message unless this was a real concern and didnt want insider views from those in the know. I posted on another website forum also as I wasn't sure anyone would even reply on either or that they would take me seriously, so I hedged my bets by doing more than one post.

My phobia is real, I have never liked clowns or foam characters. Its something about the larger than life aspect I think. I of course know that its irrational, but its more than finding them annoying, its genuine panic I can't control lol! I haven't encountered many clowns or foam characters since I was a kid really, I live in the UK and unless you go to fairs etc, you don't encounter many in everyday life, so i'm actually quite lucky my phobia has never really encroached too much on my life before. This is the first time I've really questioned whether I should be going anywhere as an adult. I reckon I can do at a distance with people (preferably at least 2 or 3) between them and me, but I've never been constantly bombarded from all angles and round every other corner with sightings to know what this will feel like. There will certainly be lots of 180 degree turns and other routes to be found to rides lol.

P.S. I'm actually quite a rational and together person who has a really responsible job, but I have one irrational phobia that I am unable to say how got started or shake off properly.

Well we are all booked in so I am giving this ago, I'll have everything crossed I'm ok!! Disney does look genuinely fun, and I do want to go, just apprehensive, but I don't like to let things stop me. I have no prob with face characters at all, just the big foam ones. I'd probs quite like to meet the princesses, peter pan, tinkerbell, aladdin etc, but I realise where these can be found they probs have a foam partner in crime. I know to avoid parades with all the youtube videos of them approaching the crowds, Im hoping there is a reliable map and information on timings. Thanks for the tip on rope drop at MK this had not occurred to me. Some shows I may be able to stomach with characters as long as the character stay on a stage that is a reasonable distance from me, or ones like the Fantasisa show with Mickey where even better water separates me from characters. I may have some questions when I research more into shows, as to which ones will have characters likely to come into the audience etc

Happy to see posts with how few you could potentially see, though know there will be some, perhaps I can minimise the sightings that are close.

Thanks for coming back. :) Had a feeling you weren't a troll, and it must have taken some courage to put all this info out into the judgmental Wild West of the internet.

Just curious, how are you with audio-animatronics?

Alexis

The characters don't aimlessly wander around. They are stationed at a specific area at a specific time. If you search the Disney website and look for the character meet times at whichever park for the date you're thinking, you can avoid those areas that way. I'm not sure if you have an issue seeing them from far away, but they definitely will not approach you suddenly. If you were to happen to see one, im sure you can just walk the other way. Try to avoid the parades because they have characters. Enjoy yourself, don't worry so much about the characters.

jw24

You shouldn't have to worry about face characters with furs. With regarding face characters, they hardly do meet and greets with a fur characters to begin with. On special events possibly but not regularly. The only one character I can think that meets with a fur on a regular basis is Alice at the MK. She does her M&Gs with the White Rabbit at the Mad Tea Party ride but you can meet Alice just by herself in the UK pavilion at Epcot. For the most part, the face characters typically meet and greet guests by themselves, with other face characters but with separate lines for each one or have another face character with them.

MissM

May seem like an odd link - and the link might very well bother you if you can't handle photos of characters - but you might try http://kennythepirate.com/ Though the site is specifically designed to help you find characters, there's nothing which says you can't use it to avoid characters instead. There's also an app for Android phones (info here: http://kennythepirate.com/2013/05/04/kennythepirate-character-locator-pro/) and apparently they're working on an iPhone version.

The biggest worry I think you'd have (besides parades and such) is that character meets can often be in public sight. For example, Buzz Lightyear meets in Tomorrowland and not only is it viewable from the ground, but if you're riding the PeopleMover at the time, you can see it from there as well. Things like that might be harder to avoid "accidental" sightings. Keep in mind though, most outdoor meets end by late afternoon so by the evening, you should be a lot better off. (Besides, again, the parade.)

Good luck!

joanna71985

OP- all the main shows take place on a stage, or in a main area (so you wouldn't have to worry about the characters getting close there). The only exceptions are street shows, like MiSiCi, Hoedown, parades, ect

The characters don't aimlessly wander around. They are stationed at a specific area at a specific time. If you search the Disney website and look for the character meet times at whichever park for the date you're thinking, you can avoid those areas that way. I'm not sure if you have an issue seeing them from far away, but they definitely will not approach you suddenly. If you were to happen to see one, im sure you can just walk the other way. Try to avoid the parades because they have characters. Enjoy yourself, don't worry so much about the characters.

Not true. There are some exceptions (like the GAM at Studios, Characterpalooza, among others). There's also the times where characters walk to/from their set location (yes, they won't approach guests. But they will be really close).

pumpkin7

Well, I've been here a week and I've seen about 7 characters, 4 of which I have chosen to meet up close. The others just had insane queues, so you'll only really see them in parades and if you join the queue to meet them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom