Is it me or does Innoventions display less futureistic products then it used to?

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
Lately I have been seeing allot of games but I haven't noticed to many technology displays lately. Am I not looking hard enough? I haven't spent much time there since the late 90's but the last time I was there I was pretty disappointed.

I think it's getting harder and harder to find "futuristic" products to display. Technology moves so fast now that by the time they get something on display it'll be available to the public within such a short time that it's hard to keep the area current.

blueboxdoctor

What they need to do is get some 3rd party companies to set up booths that they can update with their newest technologies. Companies like Sony, Panasonic, Microsoft, Apple, and others of the sort have new tech always in production that they could show off. Considering they have Sony and Microsoft game systems there I could see them expanding on it. Really, EPCOT is the only park with a lot of 3rd party displays/products in it, so adding it to Innovations would only make sense.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
I am very surprised they don't have an Apple exhibit. I guess theres no point since there is an apple store in almost every mall but they don't show any unreleased products. Them displaying unreleased products in innoventions would probably draw guests straight to their local apple store when they get home. When I go to to the mall with my friends I hate shopping so I go straight to the Apple store, and Zumiez LOL.

Mansion Butler

What they need to do is get some 3rd party companies to set up booths that they can update with their newest technologies. Companies like Sony, Panasonic, Microsoft, Apple, and others of the sort have new tech always in production that they could show off. Considering they have Sony and Microsoft game systems there I could see them expanding on it. Really, EPCOT is the only park with a lot of 3rd party displays/products in it, so adding it to Innovations would only make sense.
Agreed. I love the concept of a 365 day tech expo, and I can fully accept it being hit-or-miss. But to really utilize it they need to find a company that wants to use the space to advertise their newest and upcoming products to 30,000 people a day.

Video games would be a great use of the space. Not the "here are the kind of current Disney games out, play them for a while," but something like a mini E3. Even if it were only a limited number of companies.

scbb11Sketch

I think it's getting harder and harder to find "futuristic" products to display. Technology moves so fast now that by the time they get something on display it'll be available to the public within such a short time that it's hard to keep the area current.

I agree that this is the main reason for not seeing any exciting futuristic displays, and I also think it has to do with the companies that would need to be involved. Disney themselves would not be able to create a display with futuristic products, so they inevitably would need to rely on companies like Intel, Apple, and Microsoft. But think about how secretive and confidential these companies have to be these days. Their products need to be kept so underwraps to keep ahead of the competition that there is no way they would choose to display it in a theme park before it is available to the public.

dreamfinder

Remember that all new product announcements move around the world in minutes now. New info used to take ages to get around, so a company could promote new tech for a few months or years in a location like this, and most of the public would have never seen/heard of it before. But now with how interconnected our society is, with people live blogging new product releases, anything that managed to stay secret til launch, its already old news by the end of the day. And as PP's said, look at how fast tech changes. By the time they get a display set up, you can already see the tech in the mall. So why bother with the time/money? And there really isn't any long term innovation the way there used to be. 10-15 years ago people thought decades out. Now most companies publicly think years out at best. And no tech company wants to publicly release their roadmap for 10 years in a place where all their competitors can see it. It would be commercial suicide.

disney4life2008

Great question!! In the 90s, I loved Innoventions. It was always cool to see the future toilet, lol. But since 2001, the area has become boring. All of the innoventions that were shown in EPCOTS early days have become a reality. I walk through Innoventions for historic reasons but its a waste of time now. As someone else said, it is more like a Chidrens Museum of Technology.

rsoxguy

Innoventions feels more like a children's science center than the expo it used to feel like.

I think believe that these two statements answer the question best. I always feel as though I'm in a flashy playground when I walk through Innoventions. The local Best Buy has technology on par with the things that are actually on display within this attraction.

hwdelien

But wasn't Innoventions about the dreams of the future? It wasn't merely new products that hadn't yet made it to market yet, it was a future that could be, wasn't it?

I admit, I wasn't there during it's glory days, but when I go to Epcot, I don't care if I stop in or not.

thelookingglass

I dunno, if you brought in Apple, I think it would feel too much like an Apple store or something. Though thats still better than a series of children's play areas...

I would hope it would be emerging Apple products and technologies, not just stuff thats already out.

blm07

I think Innoventions is similar to how it almost always has been. Communicore probably had the same amount of people going through, but it was just cooler back then. I don't remember much besides SMRT-1, and that means I didn't spend much time in there.

The 90s brought video games and there are still video games. In 1999 I remember Sega and Daytona 500. I still didn't spend much time in there. Last time I walked through, I remember that table where you could move the leaves and water with your hand, that was cool.

If you brought in apple, you'd probably see plain boring walls with a bland white desk and a guy standing behind it. Not my idea of entertainment.

The Duck

Several years ago, I saw an early prototype of a flat/wide screen TV (which was showing Beauty and the Beast). Two years ago, I saw a live show that was promoting the wonders of velcro. Seriously, velcro. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom