Is it just me, or did free dining kill the finer restaurants?

ugotzme

Original Poster
Ok so we went to the wave the other night and not only have the prices gone up but place just seemed to be causality of the Disney dining plan. It seems the dining plan has really dumbed down all the finer restaurants. I remember when you went to these places for a dining experience. I know their are people out their that will bash me, but I love Disney and my daughter works on property and we have had premium passes for over 15 years. I just fill the dining [plan has killed the specialty of these once great eatery's.

ParentsOf4

For decades, the food at many WDW restaurants was mediocre. Then it started to really improve in, oh, maybe about the mid-1990s. The food actually became tastier with greater variety.

DDP was introduced in 2005 and the food started to decline slowly. Gone was variety and, so it seemed, many menus were dumbed down. My DW misses the days when it was fun to eat at WDW, fun to try different restaurants. Now dining at WDW, especially at the theme parks, is something more like a chore.

I'm not suggesting DDP caused the food to become worse, only that it was indicative of a change in business strategy for WDW; generate the most revenue for the least cost.

docdebbi

another agreement. the variety and quality of the food has definitely decreased. I assume because disney gives each restaurant a smaller amount for each meal on the plan than I am paying for the meal. Less income equals less to spend on the product. Hence, lower quality ingredients, less time spent prepping and less variety/more mass produced meals.
a terrible shame, I still love dining at disney, but not like I used to

KeithVH

I agree with the above. Mid-90s to early 2Ks was really a great dining time. Jeez, I remember when you could get a killer T-bone at Tony's back then. Nowadays, you have to work to find something that just ins't bland. Yet some people think they're still really doing fine dining.

The really sad thing is that, even if free dining disappeared tomorrow, you'd probably never see a return to what dining was like before free dining came along.

Sweet Melissa

I agree, but I'm surprised your visit to the Wave inspired this thread. It's a restaurant that I never thought was particularly good (though I do love hanging out in their lounge), and one that opened at the height of the dining plan's damage. And yes, I do think we've passed the worst of it. There have been some small improvements in dining offerings in the last year or two that I would like to think are indicative of more recovery to come.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
The Wave never existed when there wasn't Dining Plan, how could it be diminished by it? :rolleyes:

I've had plenty of truly amazing meals at WDW, DDP notwithstanding.

rael ramone

Absoultely. Tables are now full of people who are there because of the plan, not because they want to eat fancy food. So they cater many of their restaurants to these people.

Right now the only 'must do' sit down in Epcot is Marrakesh. (The former Bistro I'll reserve judgement on until I try its replacment). Chef's de France is now a feed station that serves hospital food. Napoli was good, but they took the great sundaes out. Tutto Italia looks boring now. The Mexican places are hit & miss. Biergarten serves the worst Sauerbraten I've ever had. Akershus is now a heavily priced character deal. As far as Le Cellier - if you want the steak go to Yachtsman, if you want the soup make it at home.

Fortunately this hasn't spread that much to the resorts (except Maya Grill used to be great - though that can be blamed not on the simple tastes of many on the plan but the simple tastes of the convention crowd).

Sloan

I agree that Disney's 'fine dining' has suffered since the offering of the DDP, but not to a terrible extent. I am a long-time Tables in Wonderland member (from back well before it was re-named as such), and have been eating at most of the Signature Dining restaurants for many years. I have seen menu offerings become less interesting, and yes, the prices have gone up. I have also seen the characteristics of the diners change at some of these spots from the time when people were paying out-of-pocket.

I attend some of the special events and true 'signature dinner' events during the Food & Wine Festival, so I know what some of the top Disney chefs are capable of when they are able to break-free of budgetary and sourcing restrictions for the big-dollar special events, and it is pretty amazing. I've seen some pretty good proposals from members here as to how this 'problem' could be 'fixed' (such as having a 'cash' menu apart from the DDP one, etc.) and am convinced that there must be a way to move back towards the fine-dining quality in the signature restaurants.

If it were not for the dedication of some great chefs who obviously love and respect great food, I think things would have declined further than they have. Fortunately, some of the best earned a loyal following in the good times before the DDP, and they are fighting to keep up their hard-earned reputations. Alas, some have moved on since the introduction of the dining plan (I think the greatest loss was the departure of Anette Grecchi Grey in 2007 - I still miss her wine-tasting meals in the Jiko Wine Room).

If WDW's fine-dining sinks in to mediocrity, I'll have to finally give up the Annual Pass and TiW membership and go back to vacationing to my 'foodie' destinations - as a lifelong Disney fan, I'm really hoping that does not happen ...

Figgy1

Premium Member
Personally I think the food is great ... I just feel the portion sizes have gone down and the prices have gone up..... And some of the food quality has declined. :(
One good example of change.... remember when you got full sized macadamia nut pancakes with the Big Kahuna breakfast??
They are so right! And I think it has killed all spontineity when choosing when and where to eat! As much of a crazy planner I am I wish ADRs could be made closer to 30 days out. I know people who book dining just on the off chance the might go to Disney!

DisneyDebNJ

They are so right! And I think it has killed all spontineity when choosing when and where to eat! As much of a crazy planner I am I wish ADRs could be made closer to 30 days out. I know people who book dining just on the off chance the might go to Disney!
Friend of mine who is not a disney fanatic, planned a FIRST trip for her family. Asked for advice, which I was happy to give. When it came to ADRs she actually got upset because (her exact words were) "How the hell do I know what I want to eat 180 days from now?!?!?) Well .... she went to Disney and ate QS meals through out her trip. Disney-holics like us all here, know exactly what we want, the must dos, the lets try it one time restaurants. I dont mind making them so far out? However, there have been several times where I wasnt in the mood for the ADR I made, but went anyway

Figgy1

Premium Member
Friend of mine who is not a disney fanatic, planned a FIRST trip for her family. Asked for advice, which I was happy to give. When it came to ADRs she actually got upset because (her exact words were) "How the hell do I know what I want to eat 180 days from now?!?!?) Well .... she went to Disney and ate QS meals through out her trip. Disney-holics like us all here, know exactly what we want, the must dos, the lets try it one time restaurants. I dont mind making them so far out? However, there have been several times where I wasnt in the mood for the ADR I made, but went anyway
I don't know what I was thinking the cold must be getting to me!! I sleep so much better now that my ADRs are booked, I think if I had to do them at 30 days let's just say I'd be in need of medication because there's not enough wine in the world to calm me down by that point!

Alley7728

Just curious....I am determined to relax a little the next time down instead of jumping from park to park. We will be there a few days before Mothers Day in May and was wondering where I could find the best fruity cocktail on property. Any ideas? I don't have little ones anymore and my soon to be fourteen yr. old will be bringing a friend so an intense amount of alcohol might be necessary.;)

Figgy1

Premium Member
Just curious....I am determined to relax a little the next time down instead of jumping from park to park. We will be there a few days before Mothers Day in May and was wondering where I could find the best fruity cocktail on property. Any ideas? I don't have little ones anymore and my soon to be fourteen yr. old will be bringing a friend so an intense amount of alcohol might be necessary.;)
A Grey Goose or Grand Marnier slushe from Les Vins makes teenagers almost bearable!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom