Is Going to Walt Disney World in October a good idea?

The Adventurer

Original Poster
I have been to Disney World six times. My first visit was in August and the rest have been in May and June. I am planning a 2009 trip and I want to go in the September/October season when it isn't so crowded. However, I just read in a book that October is one of the busiest times of year at the Parks. Is this true? The book said it was because of the Epcot Food and Wine Festival. Would October be safe or should I try late September? :king:

disneymyway

It's an excellent time to go! But it can get crowded. I just don't think there are as many times of the year that aren't crowded anymore. I love October at WDW!

Disney05

We're also going on our first October trip. We always go in May. The only thing I'm keeping an eye on is any tropical storms.

disneymyway

We're also going on our first October trip. We always go in May. The only thing I'm keeping an eye on is any tropical storms.

I have to say early May is my absolute favorite time to go. Good weather, good hours, and I really think the crowds are lighter. It's right before school is out and I really think even parents who don't have a problem with taking their kids out of school really want to do it at the very end like that.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
October is a great time! While numbers have picked up with the success of Food and Wine...it's still nowhere near as crowded as peak times. The edge is taken off temperatures and humidity...particularly later in October...but there is that bit of a guessing game with hurricanes/tropical storms. If you look at the reality of it, actual hurricanes, even major tropical storms hitting Orlando are not that frequent....we just all remember that one year (was it 4 years ago now?) where they got a string of storms in September, one after another.

With that said....next to early December, it's our favorite time to go.

Cmdr_Crimson

It's great when you go early in the month.. I'm taking my Trip at the End of Sept/October so it's not too bad..In 2005 I went during the Week of Columbus Day...It was more a like a Summer Day with many families taking there kids out of school..So it's kind of packed during that week..So I try to avoid it.

Uponastar

October is great!
We're going again this October and have been many times during that month.
The weather is usually picture-perfect and the crowds are manageable.

AEfx

October is one of the best times of year to visit. If your normal trip is in August, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Don't forget about Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party!

AEfx

Erin_Akey

My family loves October. We actually alternate between Disney Christmas and going in October. The Food and Wine Festival is awesome! Crowds are nothing compared to summer and holidays. They also start running the Halloween Party the last weekend in September so no matter when you go in October, you can see that, and it is well worth the money.

You will also enjoy the little things that go with that party, like the scary music piped in up and down main street, the headless horseman riding through the park, the castle lit up purple, things like that are so cute!

It is truly a great time!:sohappy:

EpcotGrl

I usually go in October--Food & Wine, MNSSHP, and *slightly cooler* weather make it the best time for me. Have never had a problem with crowds while I'm there--don't know if I'm just getting lucky or what, but rides & dining has never been a problem :)

donsullivan

Premium Member
Actually, there are a lot of folks who believe that this fall will be a rather slow time for tourism in general here in central Florida. Most people who are coming for the summer already had everything booked before gas and airfare prices spun completely out of control as they have in recent months. And now we're being told that gas prices will only get worse looking forward.

Most fall travel doesn't get booked until mid to late summer and folks are thinking in a very different way about travel given the dramatic jump in airfares and reductions in flight capacity that are scheduled to kick in this fall. Combine that with the projected continuing rise in gas prices and it doesn't look good for that industry heading into the fall.

That is likely to translate into lower crowd levels over all in all the parks in the area as all the kids head back to school and we head into the fall.

ewensell3

I have been to Disney World six times. My first visit was in August and the rest have been in May and June. I am planning a 2009 trip and I want to go in the September/October season when it isn't so crowded. However, I just read in a book that October is one of the busiest times of year at the Parks. Is this true? The book said it was because of the Epcot Food and Wine Festival. Would October be safe or should I try late September? :king:

I went late October 2007 and it was nice. Crowds were light, weather tolerable, etc etc. Lines for the most popular rides were 20 minutes or less, exceptions being Peter Pan's Flight (always long) and Soarin (relatively new at that point).

Keep in mind the parks keep shorter hours that time of year. Especially Animal Kingdom which closes around 5pm/6pm and Hollywood Studios 7p/8p depending on the day. If you don't plan on participating in the Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party you need to plan your Magic Kingdom days around it

fizzle75

We've never been in late October but we were there in early October last year and it was still mind numbingly hot and humid...but we still managed to have a blast. Halloween at Magic Kingdom is amazing, the decorations are fantastic and everything about Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party is worth every single penny...and having to endure the weather. Be prepared to deal with the ever popular love bugs and plan on rain every day. Food & Wine Festival is amazing too.

We would love to go again in October but it will have to be in late October, we'll never go in early October again.

Have a great trip!:wave:

Shere_Khan

I've been to WDW once before in October and we had an awesome time. That was back in 2003 and the crowds were light and weather was great.
We decided to go again this October. I hope we have as great of an experience this time.

MandyJ72

Every time I have a question, I come on here and someone has just asked it - amazing!!

We are thinking of the same about October 2009 - we usually come to WDW right at the end of June/start of July (our Scottish schools let out on 26th/27th June) and our October holidays generally are around the 16th/17th October so that means coming at the end of October.

What's crowds like then? Don't mind the earlier park closings as that lets you get to bed at a decent time and you don't need a lie in the next day so can come back for more!!

How does end October compare - have also been around Easter time and from what I can see weather for October/Easter is comparible as well - is that about right?

M
x

disneychick53

Our family loves October, thats our month the weather is nice crowds are fairly less and love MNSSHP

hpyhnt 1000

October is a very nice time to head to WDW. As others have stated, the weather is generaly very nice; mid to low 80's generally with a lower humidity compared to summer. Just watch the Atlantic for any hurricanes just to be safe.

As far as crowds go, yes, there is an increase thanks to the F&W Festival over at Epcot, but overall, I find that the crowds this time of year are very manageble. The parks aren't packed liked in the summer, but they aren't so empty that you feel like you're the only one there like you would in January or February. In general, expect waits for big E-ticket attractions will be in the 50-80 minute mark.

Personally, I think this is one of the best times of the year to visit WDW. Then again, is there really a bad time to visit the most magical place on earth? :lol:

Anthony95

in october, i thought hurricane season in the area would still yield rains and winds at the minimum... someone set me straight... :confused::shrug::veryconfu

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom