Is Eisner a bad guy, or someone we should be thanking...?

Grim Grinner

Original Poster
Every now and then, I hear someone bash Eisner. Very few praise the man. With the latest series of blunders in the world of Disney, many think that the man should go. Has he overstayed his welcome. This provides an excellent point of debate-

In my opinion, Disney was failing terribly. When Eisner and Frank Wells took over after the take-over, I think they did a marvelous job of building on what Walt started. Afterall, there was a reason for the take-over- everything was being run into the ground. The Disney family did not know what to do at the time.

Now we see a lot of mistakes that seem entirely easy from our side of things. We have no idea of the budgets and planning that go into something of this scale. I love WDW and seeing it from the perspective of how it all runs is amazing. The Disney company is a massive undertaking, hence it is not unexpected that not all things reach Eisner's ears. Lackeys like Pressler often will not tell the boss all the essential news, particularly if it is bad. Failed movie concepts like Bubble Boy were probably not run past him.

I think a lot of people have been unfair to a man who ensured that the parks would be around for us today. Imagine if a different company were to have purchased Disney. What would have happened if, say... Six Flags bought the ailing company. It's painful to imagine.

What do you all think of Eisner... ?

NowInc

*sigh*

This thread is going to get ugly....it always has in the past (its been discussed a few times before)...

My views on Eisner are pretty clear to those who read thru some of my old posts...He is a fantastic CEO with a lot of buisness know-how who is the best thing to happen to Disney....ever. Walt was a great man, but Eisner knew how to make that vision more of a reality...

And here we go....time for my opinion to get smashed into oblivion....

David

I agree with you on a lot of points that you make. Eisner had to put on some shoes that are impossible to fill, and he has never pretended to be a Walt Disney.
It is evident that there are many who dislike Eisner because of some decisions he has made that are bad. But as in any top position, no one will ever make a decision that will please everyone, and ultimately, as a businessman and not an entertainer, he has to look at the bottom line.
Sure there are been some changes made at WDW and these changes have not pleased everyone. Just look at the polls on the Forum board and you can see that everyone is not in agreement all of the time. Some hate Eisner for taking our Mr. Toad, others could not care less. We all have our own opinions, just as Eisner does.
So personally, I hope Eisner stays. There could be a lot worse as the head of Disney.

markymark

Originally posted by NowInc
*sigh*

This thread is going to get ugly....it always has in the past (its been discussed a few times before)...

My views on Eisner are pretty clear to those who read thru some of my old posts...He is a fantastic CEO with a lot of buisness know-how who is the best thing to happen to Disney....ever. Walt was a great man, but Eisner knew how to make that vision more of a reality...

......not by me! I agree with you 100%.

People shouldn't lose sight of the state of the company before he took the reigns. Just because things haven't been going too well in recent times, his past record really does speak for himself. People forget that the world financial "climate" in general is on a downward spiral. Disney is just the same as any huge corporation, and is bound to be affected by recession.

This is NOT Eisners fault.

He may have made what people construe to be poor decisions, but don't forget how the fortunes of Disney as a whole and Disney World in particluar have improved under his guidance.

NowInc

Exactly...it ISNT eisners fault...no one person makes ANY decision in any other corporation...so why do people assume thats how it works at disney?

Al

Originally posted by NowInc
*sigh*

I totally agree! disney was in a big mess before he came around!

dwldzm9

Count me in!

I agree as well -

Eisner is one of the greatest businessmen of our time. I realize that at times he may make decisions that I don't agree with, but if it weren't for him the company might not be here at all.

PuertoRekinSam

Ok. Looks like i will be the one to start some Eisner Bashing.

As a businessman, Eisner is great. You are totally correct about him turning the company around. But he has done a lot to turn the company around on him as well.

The reason I dislike Eisner is simple. He disrespected us those of us who are castmembers on national television. I do not remember his exact words, but they were along the lines of "Trained monkeys could do a better job up holding the Disney magic compaired to most of the cast members working right now."

This was in the fall of 1999 that he said this.

I felt this was uncalled for and irresponsable for the CEO to say on national televison.

Should he have made his thoughts known to us? Yes. Do it through company mail. Do it through the Eyes and Ears. But on Good Morning America? No. That was wrong.

And how do they go about trying to fix the problems with castmembers up holding the Disney Traditions? The lessen the disney look, sure men can have facial hair now. Then they cut the training budget down drasticly so the newer castmembers don't know how to uphold the Disney image as well.

Granted Eisner didn't walk into his office and say "I want to cut the training budget" he doesn't even start the decision trail. But it's kind of funny that he doesn't seem to do anything to change his pet peeve about the castmembers.

Like I said, as a business man GOOD. As a compasionate CEO, Bad.

NowInc

From my expierince that most of the people who dislike Eisner are either currently, or where once employeees of the company. I know it makes a big difference on how you view him...and thats why i can respect the opinions.....

MGMBoy

I worked for the company as a CP and while, sure, the CP's make chicken scratch it's better then there not being anything there at all. I've been to places like Busch Gardens and, granted, it's nice to have so many thrill rides to choose from it's the atmosphere that makes all the difference. Eisner took Walt's vision and combined it with his business know-how. The only reason the company existed even bayond its infancy was because of Roy seeing as how Walt had little or no business savvy. The biggest problem with the company after Walt's passing (May he rest in peace) was they stagnated. They were too busy second guessing whether or not what they were planning was, "...what Walt would have done..." The company needed new blood and found the perfect supply in Michael and Frank (Disney IS a first name company after all) :animwink: who were able to unstick the company and revitalize it. I feel the company owes it's entire existance as it is today to these two men.

MouseRight

I'm with Now Inc.

Eisner has control of the Company and it is still in good hands. Businesses move in cycles. Managers have their up and down periods. A good manager, in buisness or sports, gives the struggling person a chance to turn it around. The Board of Directors of Disney know that only Esiner has the vision, know-how, and experiece to turn the Company around in these tough times. In spite of recent events, the Company's vision is on target and that is all Eisner's doing. He will push and motivate his troops to bring the Comany back up before he retires.

Also, to those who say he doesn't have a creative bone in his body, don't know how he has truly impacted the creative side of the business. From providing an environmnt that allows for the creativity to flow to his hands-on particiaption in every project. He is the crative driving force of Disney today. Examples

Test Track and Alien Enconter were reformatted after his rides on the attractions.

Disney Shows on Braodway and theatres all over America - One of teh most creative decisions the Comapny has made in the last 20 years.

Disney Cruise Lines.

Architecture at all properties - He pushed to use world class Architects in all Disney Projects.

Times Square in NEw York. Disney (read that as Eisner) was the single driving force that enabled NY City to wipe out the ________ and create a thriving place for all ages and families to enjoy. Before Disney (Eisner), bought and renovated the New Amsterdam Theatre, all re-development ideas died on the table. Shall I go on??

Eisner has had his fingers in every creative thing the Copmany has done since his watch began in 1984.

GO EISNER!!!!!

NowInc

I think a common "issue" is that too often people fail to see that Disney is NOT a one man operation. Eisner is just the only name they "know"..so it all has to be HIS fault..right?

Theme parks...Eisner has done more good for them than bad (granted...putting pressler into his position was a BAD move...but noone is perfect)

Movies ....he did so much for Disney its immesrable...

PuertoRekinSam

I just would like to say I agree with Now Inc. that's what a Co. is lots of people working as one. Eisner has brought the company a long way I'll give him that. What was his first project? Return to Oz? We could have thrown in the towel then, but since then Lion King, Little Mermaid, 2 fl theme parks, 1 california park, 1 tokyo 2 eupoean, 1 hong kong. The question is do we that Eisner? or the Board of Directors? And in that case, who do we get upset with when things don't go the way they should? Hmmmm

NowInc

Originally posted by PuertoRekinSam
I just would like to say I agree with Now Inc. that's what a Co. is lots of people working as one. Eisner has brought the company a long way I'll give him that. What was his first project? Return to Oz? We could have thrown in the towel then, but since then Lion King, Little Mermaid, 2 fl theme parks, 1 california park, 1 tokyo 2 eupoean, 1 hong kong. The question is do we that Eisner? or the Board of Directors? And in that case, who do we get upset with when things don't go the way they should? Hmmmm

Exactly..its one of those confusing situations where you dont know who does what and who gets the praise or the blame...

MajinBuu

Michael Eisner is a whole hell of a lot smarter than H. Wayne Hizinga!!!!!!!!!! (ill spell his name however i want... he es me off too much!!!!) The man owned BLOCKBUSTER VIDEO... as it was growing he sells it... Before that he moves the HQ to Dallas and forces hundreds/thousands of families to spend their money and move with it or lose their jobs. He owned the FLORIDA MARLINS.... what does he do after they win the WORLD SERIES? SCREWS SOUTH FLORIDA AND BREAKS UP THE TEAM!!!! :eek: (who by the way would have kicked butt in later seasons!!!!!!!) If i ever see Wayne on the street ill LITERALLY KILL HIM!!!!! If i see Eisner i would bow down (j/k), thank him for making DISNEY the way it is today.

Sure Eisner has his UPS and DOWNS.... But he is one hell of a business man!!!!! Try and be that smart Wayne... oh yeah... ur too stupid to know what being smart is!!!!!!!!!!

Sansaarai

Account Suspended
Originally posted by markymark

People shouldn't lose sight of the state of the company before he took the reigns. Just because things haven't been going too well in recent times, his past record really does speak for himself. People forget that the world financial "climate" in general is on a downward spiral. Disney is just the same as any huge corporation, and is bound to be affected by recession.

This is NOT Eisners fault.

People who say Eisner is the worst thing to happen to Disney suffer from what I call Disney selfishness. With the removal of early entry people cried out "I cant get into the park before other people". With shows being canceled people said "its going to ruin my whole vacation". It is always about what people believe are being taken away from them. They cant picture Disney as a company. They hold Disney to a unatainable level of quality because its "Disney". And when the company doesn't meet their expectations the blame the one guy who they always see, Mr. Eisner.

I believe Esiner has done a great job rebuilding and SAVING the company.

tmp

Originally posted by ken-oh-ki
Michael Eisner is a whole hell of a lot smarter than H. Wayne Hizinga!!!!!!!!!! (ill spell his name however i want... he es me off too much!!!!) The man owned BLOCKBUSTER VIDEO... as it was growing he sells it... Before that he moves the HQ to Dallas and forces hundreds/thousands of families to spend their money and move with it or lose their jobs. He owned the FLORIDA MARLINS.... what does he do after they win the WORLD SERIES? SCREWS SOUTH FLORIDA AND BREAKS UP THE TEAM!!!! :eek: (who by the way would have kicked butt in later seasons!!!!!!!) If i ever see Wayne on the street ill LITERALLY KILL HIM!!!!! If i see Eisner i would bow down (j/k), thank him for making DISNEY the way it is today.

Sure Eisner has his UPS and DOWNS.... But he is one hell of a business man!!!!! Try and be that smart Wayne... oh yeah... ur too stupid to know what being smart is!!!!!!!!!!

Hizinga atleast spent the money to win you a championship. I'm stuck in Philadelpha where the management claims not to have enough money to compete because Philly is a small maket city(which it is not). That is one mistake Eisner/Disney has made - buying these sports teams especially the Angels. With no salary cap in Baseball it is impossible to compete and make money (unless your New York) The Texas Rangers management has spent tons of money to compete and all they are doing is losing money. Baseball is a crappy investment and a stupid mistake on Disney's parts. We should all be happy with Eisner though because he has really improved the parks! I know every one gets upset because rides have either been shut down or replaced, but in general the improvement is great! Since 1989 MGM, Animal Kingdom, Downtown Disney, several new hotels, plus others. I cannot understand how anyone could really dislike Eisner. We are all on this site because we LOVE Disney and Eisner has alot to do with that the pass 20 years.

grimgringhost

Well, I think Eisner is doing well considering the major task that is ahead of him. I mean, look, the guy's the CEO of DISNEY!!! And that's a huge name! Now who here can say they would be more than glad to carry that kind of burden on their backs? It's pretty tough. And you gotta remember, the Disney Company is not a one man show, there's lots of people behind the scenes that make things happen. Eisner is just the person we see. Although, if you wanna get a new CEO and Vice, you can always vote for me and my friend. J/K :lol:

as i've read through these forums i've seen post that show his good points and bad points.I think as him as bad but he has helped disney in many ways but also hurt it in many ways.
:dazzle:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom