Is Disney's food cost out of line??

I know I'm in the minority but my hubby and I felt the prices for food were not bad at all. Some things are pricey, especially if it comes in a cute cup or popcorn container, but overall we paid close to what we do at home (Denver). I've found in the past though that when I say that I get attacked for a) living in Denver b) being blinded by pixie dust for saying that I didn't find prices to be high. Our local amusement park here charges more for food than Disney. However how and what people eat also differs greatly, my neighbor went to Disney a few months after us and was horrified by food prices, yet we live in the same city.

carnini

I feel they are in line with Captive Audience Pricing, same pricing you get at a higher end concert, etc.

That being said, think they have gone up in recent years and quality down in the parks except perhaps several places in spcot..

As for Disney spring, I still find some good options with ok prices given its a premium location.

PiXie Mom

Like I mentioned in another discussion on food prices, my DD and myself have chosen the gluten free vegan lifestyle for healthy eating. It can be difficult finding reasonable healthy options when at any theme park or amusement park which are notorious for squeezing as many pennies out of customers when it comes to meals. Though I find Disney does a better job at offering better gluten free vegan options at many of its dining locations, good quality and selection comes at a higher cost. Compared to other themed parks and regional parks which have fewer selections for healthy eaters, Disney's prices are not to unreasonable I believe. When in any theme park environment, the same as cinemas or sporting events, you expect to pay more than you would at other dining locations.

FullSailDan

Can I ask all of the Florida people out there. Does the water all taste the same as at WDW? The nasty swamp water taste? I only do bottle drinks at WDW because of this flavor. They use it for the ice and I can taste it in the soda. Why does it taste so bad?

Depends on the area really. Lots of us have softwater loops installed and some sort of filtration system attached to the house. Still statewide the water is better tasting than say Austin TX!

So I'm reading the reviews on the new chicken place at Disney springs and the complaint is that it's "expensive". Now in the interest of full disclosure I live in Philly.
The menu had a chicken combo for 12 bucks. That's expensive??? I just went to the Phillies game. a burger fries and drink. $19.00 plus tax. A small bucket of chickie and peetes crab fries?? 12 dollars.
Earlier this year I went to the Atlantis resort in the Bahamas, lol you want to talk about expensive.

I am not saying that Disney is cheap, what I'm saying is that I don't find it to be out of line from other vacation/entertainment venues. Went to see Ed Sheeran earlier this year, don't get me started at the cost of a soda. although that may not be comparable because Philadelphia has a soda tax.

Are folks comparing the prices to "at home". Even my favorite go to vacation spot, Ocean City NJ, a plain pizza on the boardwalk is going to set you back $25.00 bucks.

Where's your go to vacation destination where food is as cheap as home?
My complaint is more about quality. On a recent trip to Crystal Palace the quality had decreased so much we don't know if we will ever return. The desserts in particular were really bad. If anyone has been recently been and had a good experience at CP please post. I would like to know if this was just a fluke we experienced.

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
I'm glad I don't live someplace where I think $28 for 3 pieces of fried chicken and mashed potatoes is normal.

Lol, born and raised in Manhattan, I think paying 1800 bucks a month for a 700 sq ft 1 bedroom apartment is pretty good.

In all seriousness I do think you kind of made my point, we shouldn't be comparing prices of any vacation venue to our home town prices. When I go on any vacation I expect prices to be higher. I now live in Philly, I invite you to come to Philly it's a great town but if you eat near the liberty bell unfortunately yep a cheesesteak fries and soda for one is going to set you back almost 20 bucks.

Disneyhead'71

Lol, born and raised in Manhattan, I think paying 1800 bucks a month for a 700 sq ft 1 bedroom apartment is pretty good.

In all seriousness I do think you kind of made my point, we shouldn't be comparing prices of any vacation venue to our home town prices. When I go on any vacation I expect prices to be higher. I now live in Philly, I invite you to come to Philly it's a great town but if you eat near the liberty bell unfortunately yep a cheesesteak fries and soda for one is going to set you back almost 20 bucks.
I live in Orlando.

Disneyhead'71

The cost of living in the south is much lower than in the North, one of the big reasons so many retirees flock to Florida and other Southern states.
I also love Washington DC, the Smithsonian museums are outstanding but food prices there can be quite shocking.
I should also add that I grew up in West Virginia, so the WDW compounded by celebrity chef prices for fried chicken, deviled eggs, and moonshine makes me laugh.

But even with the prices we do sometimes go to Disney Springs for dinner and a movie. Or for special occasions we will hit The Boathouse or Morimoto's. But for regular nights out we usually stick to CityWalk or Pointe Orlando because they are more affordable in general than Disney Springs.

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

I don't find Disney food prices to be that outrageous, depending on what it is. I go to baseball games here, and I'm an adult who loves cotton candy. I wait until WDW and get cotton candy on Main Street because I can get a bigger bag for $1 cheaper. Drinks were more expensive at baseball games than WDW until recently when they dropped the prices; now they're about the same. Food quality is way better at WDW as well for the same price or slightly more.

I just went to Hershey Park last week and spent about the same on food as I would have in WDW, in some cases less at WDW. And again, Disney's food is better.

But at my work's caferteria, I can get fresh made breakfast for less than $5, so I think I'm going to have a bit of sticker shock when I go to WDW this week.:hilarious: But I have to remind myself that my company is sponsoring it, so...

erasure fan1

But at my work's caferteria, I can get fresh made breakfast for less than $5, so I think I'm going to have a bit of sticker shock when I go to WDW this week.
I've got 30 plus visits to Disney and the sticker shock with food never goes away. Last visit the day before we got to Disney we had diner at a nice little seafood place on the ocean. We spent under $60 for our meal. We got to the Poly so we went to captain cooks for some lunch before our room was ready. 65 dollars later, and I needed new underpants. It gets me everytime.

slappy magoo

I work midtown but live in a townhouse in a cute historical town on the far side of NJ close to the border...of Pennsylvania. When coworkers ask why I'd put up with such a commute I say, among other reasons, so i can go like this (stretch out my arms) and touch 2 of the 4 walls of my home because it's all you can afford in the city.

Last edited:

Phonedave

I work midtown but live in a townhouse in a cute historical town on the far side of NJ close to the border...of Pennsylvania. When coworkers ask why I'd put up with such a commute I say, among other reasons, so i cant go like this (stretch out my arms) and touch 2 of the 4 walls of my home because it's all you can afford in the city.

I work from home, so none of this commuting anymore for me (but I do head into Manhattan every so often - was at ABC up on 66th street last Thursday - big ol' "The Walt Disney Company" emblazoned across their cafe wall)

While I am not quite so far out as you are (I'm in Morris county) my explanation was always "I don't like to be able to reach out of my window and touch my neighbors house"

-dave

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I work midtown but live in a townhouse in a cute historical town on the far side of NJ close to the border...of Pennsylvania. When coworkers ask why I'd put up with such a commute I say, among other reasons, so i cant go like this (stretch out my arms) and touch 2 of the 4 walls of my home because it's all you can afford in the city.

You’re a “water gapper”? Lol...78 or 80??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom