Is DisneyParks now using COVID to make changes they always wanted to do and use COVID to justify them?

Yellow Shoes

I have hope for the upcoming shuttle to be basically the same thing, and Mears has said that they intend to continue ferrying guests to the park one way or another. Someone in another thread said that an extra $30-40 per person really doesn't sound that much in the grand scheme of things which I do agree with, even though every little bit helps, Disney sure is a big bucks thing by itself. Good point about the staffing at resorts! That might certainly play into things, although they could just limit rooms, but that could also impact guest perception...again, I don't envy the park planning/directing folk.

Most likely had some sort of impact, but I don't think they explained its disappearance as being because of the pandemic, so I don't see it that way. No replacement has been announced by Disney, though, which you think they would go on, so I think any money would be going towards Mears.
I found my Mears receipt from 2004. Round trip for 2 people to Pop Century was $50. Not sure how the passage of 17 years will have affected that.

Trackmaster

Exactly. I feel like a lot of people are looking at the current prices to/from the airport and thinking it will stay that way. As you said, the airport will almost certainly start charging a fee (or a higher fee) to rideshare companies, which they will pass on to the riders. And they will likely also increase their own rates in general -- there are places where Uber and Lyft has a special surcharge for airport trips, and I imagine Orlando will join that list as the number of riders increases.

I also wonder how the Orlando airport will handle the traffic. The Atlanta airport doesn't allow Uber and Lyft to go through the regular traffic circles for pick up and drop off to help with congestion. You have to get your bags at baggage claim and then walk to another area (it's like a 5-10 minute walk at one of the terminals) as opposed to being able to just head straight out of the doors.

Make no mistake, there are already airport surcharges in nearly every major airport in the country (maybe the muni airports don't have, but I don't use them very often). Yeah can't have every passenger who flies take their own Uber/Lyft: the airport just couldn't handle it. The problem with Uber/Lyft for the guests is going to be that normally you'll be fine: you'll pay $50-70 each way, and you'll be fine with that. But you'll get those days where its surging off the charts and you might end up paying over $200. And you'll have to be pretty skilled at flagging them down at the airport. They won't wait around forever for you. They'll either cancel on your and stick you with a fee, or give you a low rating when you actually get in. It'll be a lot easier for them to find you when you're in front of your hotel (it'll be hard to flag them down when you're leaving the parks too if you're going straight from the parks to the airports).

I've used Uber a lot in my days from when I lived in Boston and Miami. I know how it works and how to use it best. Its best for city travel, and even isn't always bad in suburban areas. Its really bad for "big events" (things like theme parks). Its great for getting you to the airport, but can be hard getting you home from the airport (same thing with a big event, it'll get you to the event, but it'll be hard getting you home). The problem with Orlando too is that everything is so far away from each other, its not very cost efficient for Uber.

jloucks

DME - It may be just a convenient coincidence. We once went to Universal and upon arrival at MCO at about midnight, the rental car line was super long with only one person working the counter. A complete cluster. We jumped in a black (Mears?) SUV and got there for about $60. ..actually I think it was $50 and then some tip. Anywho, my point being that it was worth every penny and we would do it again for WDW no problemo. No reason to rent a car if staying on site. Hmm, come to think of it, everywhere in an SUV seems to be $50 plus tip. That was also the price between WDW and Uni. Personally, I think it's a steal.

AP - For sure. AP holders are a little obsessed and most don't spend that much money.

For the first time in many years I am thinking of going back to WDW since the crowds are down? I am one of those "high rollers" that are driven out by overcrowding. Maybe now with AP'ers gone, I can get back.

cmwade77

The loss of DME.
The ending of Disneyland’s current AP program, and APs in other parks overseas.
No new APs being sold at WDW.
Possibly the end of fastpass as we know it at WDW.

Just asking. What do You think?
I think aps will come back in some form or another, but I think they will unify the programs into a cohesive offering across all parks, except Tokyo since they gave no real control there.

But I'm pretty sure reservations are here to stay for all tickets and passes.

I also thinks FPs will be modified to be consistent across all parks with a free and paid option, probably DLRs version with Maxpass and no booking in advance or choosing your time.

ADRs will also likely move to universal 69 days in advance.

Walt Disney1955

If the Splash Mountain change is still happening I personally think that Disney sort of jumped on the "everyone is racist" bandwagon to call for a change in scenery to the Princess and the Frog and did it based on financial reasons. I think in the long run a renovation is cheaper than what it costs to run Splash Mountain on a daily basis with all of those animatronics. Just a hunch. If Disney quietly said they were keeping Splash mountain there would be very little fuss about it, and maybe, maybe the fuss lasts a week. So I personally think it was purely about finances.

cmwade77

If the Splash Mountain change is still happening I personally think that Disney sort of jumped on the "everyone is racist" bandwagon to call for a change in scenery to the Princess and the Frog and did it based on financial reasons. I think in the long run a renovation is cheaper than what it costs to run Splash Mountain on a daily basis with all of those animatronics. Just a hunch. If Disney quietly said they were keeping Splash mountain there would be very little fuss about it, and maybe, maybe the fuss lasts a week. So I personally think it was purely about finances.
Honestly, I would love to see a Princess and the Frog themed attraction, but I also like Splash Mountain. That being said, I think there are too many duplicate rides in the various parks, so why not change the DL version of Splash Mountain where Princess and the Frog would fit the area nicely by expanding New Orleans Square and keep the WDW version as Splash Mountain? After all the WDW version is substantially better than the DL version, so it could fix that problem at the same time. The only outliers from a themeing standpoint at DL then become Hungry Bear, a few shops and Winnie the Pooh and I am sure something could be done with that easily enough.

Disstevefan1

Original Poster
Honestly, I would love to see a Princess and the Frog themed attraction, but I also like Splash Mountain. That being said, I think there are too many duplicate rides in the various parks, so why not change the DL version of Splash Mountain where Princess and the Frog would fit the area nicely by expanding New Orleans Square and keep the WDW version as Splash Mountain? After all the WDW version is substantially better than the DL version, so it could fix that problem at the same time. The only outliers from a themeing standpoint at DL then become Hungry Bear, a few shops and Winnie the Pooh and I am sure something could be done with that easily enough.
I am ok with changing the ride but what I am not looking forward to is the attraction that will replace splash mountain going from 68 animatronics to 3 animatronics and a bunch of screens..

Walt Disney1955

I understand Japan is keeping Splash Mountain. But why get rid of both in the American parks? Keep at least one of them. Man, that ride is insanely popular. Your idea is good.

cmwade77

I am ok with changing the ride but what I am not looking forward to is the attraction that will replace splash mountain going from 68 animatronics to 3 animatronics and a bunch of screens..
I hope they don't do that, have lots of animatronics and a few screens to fill in.

cmwade77

I understand Japan is keeping Splash Mountain. But why get rid of both in the American parks? Keep at least one of them. Man, that ride is insanely popular. Your idea is good.
Yeah, the WDW version is better in every way, so might as well keep that one and retheme the DL version.

plawren2

The loss of DME.
The ending of Disneyland’s current AP program, and APs in other parks overseas.
No new APs being sold at WDW.
Possibly the end of fastpass as we know it at WDW.

Just asking. What do You think?
To some extent yes, but less revenue and huge financial losses have also resulted in need to reduce staffing PLUS as crowds return they have incentive to capture new revenue to make up for 2020 losses. DME is also not being "lost" but will be a paid service provided by Mears. Guessing AP will be re-introduced in future under different program, more restrictions and higher cost. I suspect as crowds increase EMH/EEH and FP+ will return in some form, likely as extra fee events. WDW has huge need and incentive to secure more cash as demand (peak visitors) return in late 2021 and in 2022.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom