Is DisneyParks now using COVID to make changes they always wanted to do and use COVID to justify them?

Goofyernmost

It’s the only time to do it. Now or never.
I've seen them stop a lot of things that didn't correspond with a pandemic. They just hid in their offices and ignored complaints for however long it took. I see it as they had to do it now, but I don't think anything would have stopped them at any point in time. Since they were in a time when the attendance was down sharply and the need for it was miniscule, they just took the opportunity to do something they have been considering for a much longer time.

wendysue

This will work out well for us. We renewed our AP's just before this announcement came out. We will try to go a few times this year to get our AP money's worth and when ME is done, our AP's will be done also. ME allows us to go from Chicago airport to our room without touching our bags or renting a car, so we never have to drive until we return to Chicago. Once ME ends and we have to rent a car, we may as well start going anywhere else.

Goofyernmost

I doubt they have that in mind because I don't think very many people will rent cars. The vast majority will end up using Uber/Lyft or a taxi.
That's probably true, but they will have saved a boatload of money with no ME. Those that do decide to get a car will just be gravy over and above the savings from the absence of ME. Unless people decide not to go because of it it is a multiple wins for Disney.

denyuntilcaught

I generally get the "COVID-related" changes Disney has had to make to operations and most of them - Early Magic Hours, MagicBands - I don't care to see go away, as I never participated in EMH and mobile MagicBands just makes sense to me.

But the cutting of DME was the first time I seriously reconsidered if WDW was worth the whole effort. It just made everything so much easier and removing the service is a blatant and egregious misstep.

MikeyK72

I doubt they have that in mind because I don't think very many people will rent cars. The vast majority will end up using Uber/Lyft or a taxi.

I'd imagine that Disney hopes a decent percentage of guests opt for the Minnie Van service to and from MCO. They still offer that, correct?

MikeyK72

There's no way that getting rid of DME is a Covid thing. Look at the timing. Its going to go into effect in what is assumed to be after the Covid era. If anything, getting rid of it will cost Disney money, as it makes it hard to travel to Disney without a car. My hunch is that they're getting rid of it because they expect the Brightline to take over that function.

Remember, MCO is not that close to WDW. Its silly to think that Uber/Lyft is a great option for that distance. Uber/Lyft is designed to be cost efficient for traveling around a major city where you're only going 2-3 miles. And even crazier option is forcing people to rent a car just for that trip. It costs Disney almost nothing to pack a lot of people into one bus.

This has Brightline written all over it.
I guess I just don't understand the Brightline thing as a viable option. Doesn't it only stop at Disney Springs? If so, how do you get to your room, take a Disney bus from DS? And what about luggage, are we expected to bring that on-board the train and then the Disney bus?

Even if they handle baggage for you and deliver to your room like the former DME, isn't it a hassle to be dropped at Disney Springs just to now wait for bus to your resort?

MikeyK72

The only thing we'll miss is the onsite luggage check-in at the resorts, and that wasn't necessarily a DME thing (although currently suspended and who knows if that's ever returning).
Definitely agree that the airline check-in at the resorts is a bigger loss to my family than the DME. Hoping that this was cut as a temporary cost savings and will be back at a later time.

NelleBelle

I'd imagine that Disney hopes a decent percentage of guests opt for the Minnie Van service to and from MCO. They still offer that, correct?
No--Minnie Van service has been "suspended" or stopped until further notice. My bet is it likely won't return. Not sure why you wouldn't[ just take an Uber Black or Lyft.

MikeyK72

No--Minnie Van service has been "suspended" or stopped until further notice. My bet is it likely won't return. Not sure why you wouldn't[ just take an Uber Black or Lyft.

I agree...you can take an Uber for much less than the price of a Minnie Van so DW and I never even considered using a Minnie Van (either on property or to/from MCO). Granted, since the Minnie Vans do guarantee car seats I can see how that is important and necessary for some folks.

gsimpson

Disney is all about saving money and "value engineering" their guest experience. We have to get rid of fireworks: COVID. That is saves a boat load of money but we still charge the same, happy coincidence. We have to get rid of parades: COVID. That we don't have to hire all those expensive performers and maintain those complex floats is just a happy coincidence. Reduce the number of open eateries: COVID. Of course it actually serves to increase the number of people at the remaining eateries which seems counter productive but it saves money, happy coincidence. Push back the opening of several new attractions: COVID. Well yes there is a reduction in guests which will of course yield a reduction in cash flow - fully legit - but we can still charge just as much and all the people that already have their vacations and schedules set will just have to come back later. Happy coincidence. Reduced ride capacity and hours: COVID. Happily also means fewer employees and the ones who remain work fewer hours. With the reduced hours and reduced capacity the lines are still long so just another happy coincidence. While I am overstating some of it I'm sure, I also notice that most of the hospitality industry writ large is using this as an excuse to provide far worse service and just blame it on COVID and I do think Disney is doing the same thing.

Trackmaster

Definitely agree that the airline check-in at the resorts is a bigger loss to my family than the DME. Hoping that this was cut as a temporary cost savings and will be back at a later time.

Don't forget. Uber and Lyft are designed to be cost effective within major cities and for very localized travel. MCO is very far away from WDW. You're talking about an exorbitantly expensive ride, plus airport fees tacked on too. Meanwhile, due to economies of scale, packing people in the Magic buses costs Disney almost nothing per person.

Its not about squabbling over the size of the pie all the time if its going to shrink the size of the pie. A great business seeks to expand the pie itself and negotiate over the slice size.

UNCgolf

Don't forget. Uber and Lyft are designed to be cost effective within major cities and for very localized travel. MCO is very far away from WDW. You're talking about an exorbitantly expensive ride, plus airport fees tacked on too. Meanwhile, due to economies of scale, packing people in the Magic buses costs Disney almost nothing per person.

Its not about squabbling over the size of the pie all the time if its going to shrink the size of the pie. A great business seeks to expand the pie itself and negotiate over the slice size.

Uber/Lyft often have some kind of surcharge for airport trips in big cities. I don't know if there's one in Orlando, but I imagine they would add one if the number of people using the service skyrockets.

The Orlando airport would probably also start charging additional fees to Uber/Lyft and perhaps have to reroute traffic to ease congestion. Here in Atlanta, the Uber and Lyft pick up/drop off areas are separate from the normal areas for regular airport traffic so that they don't cause serious flow problems.

MikeyK72

DW and I have been using Uber to go back to MCO for a few trips now...typically in the $30 range for the small sedan

HarperRose

This will work out well for us. We renewed our AP's just before this announcement came out. We will try to go a few times this year to get our AP money's worth and when ME is done, our AP's will be done also. ME allows us to go from Chicago airport to our room without touching our bags or renting a car, so we never have to drive until we return to Chicago. Once ME ends and we have to rent a car, we may as well start going anywhere else.
I'm not sure if you're aware or not, but the baggage delivery service upon arriving has been discontinued.

HarperRose

Yes, for $155 one way, plus tip.

I checked the Minnie Van page on MDE and I see it's temporarily unavailable.

wendysue

I'm not sure if you're aware or not, but the baggage delivery service upon arriving has been discontinued.
Yeah, we don't like that part of it, but we only take 2 bags and now we just won't check them, but take them on the plane with us so we don't have to wait at baggage claim. Years ago, we had to pay Mears to get us to WDW and handle our own bags, so I guess what goes around comes around..

Goofyernmost

Apparently you have never operated a bus company. The buses cost around 300K+ (at least they did 10 years ago), They get about 6 miles to the gallon for fuel. Replacement tires are $200 per tire and the engines alone take gallons of oil per day, parts and labor to keep them running safely is mind boggling. And that is before you add on Commercial Drivers Licensed drivers, benefits and so on. Did I mention insurance? If somehow that adds up to it costing almost nothing per person than math is different than when I went to school. And that is if the buses are "crammed" full, which hardly ever happens and they have to run two or three people at a time in those giant machines.

NelleBelle

DW and I have been using Uber to go back to MCO for a few trips now...typically in the $30 range for the small sedan
That’s about what we paid when we flew into Orange County going to DLR last year. Almost the same distance (within ~5 mi) and that was with horrible LA traffic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom