Is Disney World too expensive?

Is Disny World too expensive?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Daddymouse

Yes Disney is expensive for us. DW has a special savings account that she puts money into every week. I use money from coaching to help pay for our trips. We try to go every couple of years, so we are able to save quite a bit toward our trip. Like many others we always look for deals to save on room, meals etc... But we don't want to go so cheap that we don't enjoy ourselves. For example we could spend our vacation eacing nothing but counter service but we won't we'll go to some of the better restaurants. I expect when we travel to the west coast next year we'll spend more than we would if we were at Disney.

lilfritzy

I'm a DVC member if it hadn't been for that I don't think I could afford to stay in the deluxe resorts. I only find the park addmissions and souveneers to be expensive. The restaurants I don't find to be any more pricier than the ones at the Jersey shore where I live. I also bring water bottles with filters in them to fill up during the day I can't justify spending 2.50 for a bottle in the parks. But to be honest Six Flags Great Adventure is just as expensive for a day trip as Disney (park adm, food, activites, souveneers). So yes I can agree Disney is expensive but no more than any other trip that is "themed oriented" . But to me it's well worth the price for the good time that I have there.

dznygirl64

Yes its expensive what isnt anymore?We all need that little something everyday to keep us going.Yes we have our families but for some of us WDW is that boost that makes us go to that crappy job everyday.I hate my job so much I have to go to WDW three times a year.Life sucks WDW makes it seem ok so that is priceless to me.I will always pay what ever they want.Dont start with the find another job crap have you tried lately?

I_heart_Tigger

Before I start, I'm a teacher, therefore I can only go at peak times.(

My sister works for the school board and can only go during spring break and summer as well but we got the free dining plan this year and the resorts are not at their peak prices for the time we booked. Airfare is also quite a bit lower for us coming from Canada because it's not a peak time to fly to Disney so we managed to make it work.

Our last trip we did during spring break and I'm paying about half the amount for our summer trip than our spring break one. The deals are available, I wouldn't go on peak weekends but if you can get the free dining plan...it might work out for you.

CaptainJackNO

I'm pretty sure they do not keep the prices high to keep certain types of people out -- I think that is a by-product, desirable or not. To be honest, the price is relatively high strictly for profitability and based upon cashing in on their name and quality. Its funny that many people tend to associate personal income with quality of person, and while that may be true in many cases, the opposite is often more accurate. Point is, Disney wants your money.

I guarantee you that there are constant TWDC studies detailing the highest price they can charge without losing attendance. If they thought they could charge more and still get away with it then they would do so.

I knew that this would be a possible interpretation and danger of my comment. I was, as a kid, far from wealthy. In fact, my parents were able to afford WDW for me as a kid three times, never once staying on WDW property. (well, twice in the Village hotels, so i guess that counts.) I didn't mean to imply hard working folks who find themselves out of the price range. I certainly do not believe character and income coincide. Otherwise, how do you explain Enron??? :wave:

venice75

SO WORTH IT! and Hassle Free

My family of four went for the first time ever last year. I actually thought that for all we got, we got a bargain. We went when it was the free meal plan and stayed for 7 days. We did the value resort which was like staying in a motel 6 with disney character statues here and there and a food court inside. I booked the package deal through their website w/ airfare and all. The price per person was about $900. We live in Houston TX and we go to San Antonio TX alot to take the kids the Six Flags there. On average we spent around $300 everytime we go for a weekend not counting the season passes which are $250 for the four of us but of course we only purchase them once a yr. We go a minimum of 6- 7 times a yr. I mean I kept thinking I could never afford Disneyworld but once I did the math, with about $1500 more I went to Disneyworld. I didnt have to worry about my luggage because they took the luggage from the plane to our room, the buses to the parks pick you up from your resort and drop you off at the parks and they come like every 5 to 10 minutes. Same thing on your departure. No luggage worries. The bus comes and takes you to the airport. It was so hassle free! And Disneyworld was so magical. I mean the memories you make are priceless. It was soo worth it. We went in November and Im already saving up because we are going back this yr.

This time of year my family gets stir crazy up here in the snowy northeast. Last year, we thought "instead of Disney, let's go to an indoor waterpark/hotel." Well, despite the fact that we drove instead of flying, we still spend $1000 for a WEEKEND! This year, we're heading to the magic instead--a whole week at Coronado Springs for $2400, room and tickets (plus $500 gift card!). I think there's no comparison of value for the dollar! I'll have a local grocery store deliver bottled water/cereal/milk/snacks/soda etc. for about $50 and we'll avoid the hotel food court entirely.

fosse76

We did the value resort which was like staying in a motel 6 with disney character statues here and there and a food court inside.

No, it's not. The only people who ever make this claim are generally hotel snobs(not saying you are). And while everyone has their preference and level of comfort, to miscategorize something to inflate one's snobbery does a disservice. The values aren't that much different than the moderates. People seem to like to denegrate them merely to prop themselves up.

the buses to the parks pick you up from your resort and drop you off at the parks and they come like every 5 to 10 minutes.

If only saying that made it true! Though it's much better in the mornings than any other time of day. I swear, there is no rhyme or reason to the bus system. I once waited 30 minutes for a bus to DAK while watching three EMPTY busses pull in at 8:30am to pick up NO ONE heading for Downtown Disney!

It was soo worth it. We went in November and Im already saving up because we are going back this yr.

Expensive is a relative term. During the off-season, the Values and moderates are slightly overpriced (off-property hotels of equivalent quality are cheaper and generally offer more. EMH is intangible and can't be measured as anything but a valueless perk). But since they include free parking at the parks, we can let that slide, since they are still mostly reasonable. The Deluxes are overpriced no matter when you go. The tickets are definitely overpriced.

That said, I don't find it too terribly expensive. I had actually looked into going to Hersheypark one weekend, but it would've been cheaper to go to WDW. If I had my own car, then it would have been cheaper. But if you know your budget limitations, Disney can still be done rather inexpensively.

venice75

No, it's not. The only people who ever make this claim are generally hotel snobs(not saying you are). And while everyone has their preference and level of comfort, to miscategorize something to inflate one's snobbery does a disservice. The values aren't that much different than the moderates. People seem to like to denegrate them merely to prop themselves up.

THAT WAS NOT MY INTENTION, MY COMMENT WAS MEANT TO GIVE AN IDEA TO SOMEONE WHOSE NEVER TRIED A VALUE RESORT. SOME PEOPLE GET TURNED OFF BY THE WORD "VALUE" AND ALTHOUGH IM SURE A MODERATE OR HIGHER END RESORT HAS ITS PERKS, THE VALUE RESORT SERVES ITS PURPOSE WITH A LITTLE EXTRA FOR THE KIDS. I KNOW MINE LOVED IT!

If only saying that made it true! Though it's much better in the mornings than any other time of day. I swear, there is no rhyme or reason to the bus system. I once waited 30 minutes for a bus to DAK while watching three EMPTY busses pull in at 8:30am to pick up NO ONE heading for Downtown Disney!

I GUESS I JUST WENT AT A GOOD TIME BECAUSE THE BUS SYSTEM WAS AWESOME!

fredtom

While I wouldn't say that WDW is cheap, I don't believe it's too expensive for the level of product and type of experience you receive... But have you been anywhere else? It isn't cheap at any resort hotel, restaurant or major attraction.

I feel that what you receive for the money at Disney is of incomparable value, and have never felt cheated there. There's really no other resort destination or attraction that can compare. Since becoming DVC members over six years ago, I feel this way even more. Using AP's, DDP and TiW all help to maximize value as well.

"An Adventurer's life is best!" :lol:

There are very few attractions there and I didn't feel there were enough there to carry the pricetag for admission.

Really? It is one of the smaller parks but we always find plenty to do there. ToT, Rockin Roller Coaster, Muppet Vision, Star Tours, Movie Ride, One Man's Dream, Toy Story Mania, Indiana Jones.. how many more do you need? :)

I was also greatly disappointed in Magic Kingdom. The place was dirty and in dire need of updating and painting.

Not disputing this, but in the 30+ years I've been going I've never seen MK "dirty." Whereabouts?

We also went when they started to do their cost cutting and I was upset that Fantasmic was only being shown on 2 nights, so we had to rearrange our schedules for that. Again, for the price of admission, there should be a show/fireworks nightly.

You went during off-peak season - Fantasmic takes more to put on than Wishes...

I also felt the resorts were slightly overpriced as well. Our resort was absolutely gorgeous. However, the resort was huge.

Well you stayed at Riverside which is one of the biggest resorts on property. The land is spread out a good bit. If you stayed at French Quarter you would have had a better experience. :)

And lastly, I have a complaint with the buses. Everytime we left a park, whether it be in the afternoon or closing, there was always a line and the buses always filled up and you had to stand.

Easy to complain about this I know but that is what it is. The buses are always a crapshoot which is why we choose to drive every now and then. Some parks like Epcot for example are much easier and faster to get in and out of if you drive. Try it, you might be surprised. It's better at night as well if you stay until closing and you have stand in a long line while you hope to make it on the 2nd or 3rd bus that comes by. If you drive it's so much easier.

stlbobby

When comparing apples to apples WDW is a great value. If you book a trip to any American city and stayed at the quality of even the value resorts with access to world class entertainment and four star dining you could easily surpass a Disney vacation. And when you start looking at resort destinations like Vegas, ski lodges, or the Caribbean, Disney is downright cheap. Heck a week backpacking in a national forest can run you a couple hundred bucks, and that's if you own your own equipment.

Having said that, you have to be smart. The rack rates are ridiculous, that is why there is almost always a huge discount promotion going on. The discount rates are what Disney looks to when making projections. I'm sure they are pleased when someone pays face value, but they never expect to make that.

I have surprised dozens of families with how affordably I can get them to WDW, and when they return they always feel Disney exceeded their expectations (I hope part of that has to do with my expert advice.)

Now if your comparing it to daily necessities like groceries or a mortgage than yes it is an expensive extravagance.

BrerFrog

Being expensive is relative. Being a College student I find myself unable to pay for a trip, even if I have two jobs. However, for the value you get the price is certainly good.

TooExpensive

Disney is such a trap

We went to Disney in November 2010 with our almost 6 year old and 3 1/2 year old. Paid $1200 on flights, plus $50 on one checked bag, $200 on rental car, $950 on 4 nights at the Dolphin, $320 on one day's admission to Magic Kingdom, plus $1000 on food and incidentals...almost $4000 for four days??!! And we only spent one day at the park. I have NO idea how a family of four affords to go to Disney on a hopper pass, etc., more than once or twice in a lifetime. I would rather take the kids biking, hiking, canoeing, or to some Children's museums. Really, not worth the money in my humble opinion. If you enjoy tons of plaster cast fake facades, over-commercialization, and robbery than go for it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We went to Disney in November 2010 with our almost 6 year old and 3 1/2 year old. Paid $1200 on flights, plus $50 on one checked bag, $200 on rental car, $950 on 4 nights at the Dolphin, $320 on one day's admission to Magic Kingdom, plus $1000 on food and incidentals...almost $4000 for four days??!! And we only spent one day at the park. I have NO idea how a family of four affords to go to Disney on a hopper pass, etc., more than once or twice in a lifetime. I would rather take the kids biking, hiking, canoeing, or to some Children's museums. Really, not worth the money in my humble opinion. If you enjoy tons of plaster cast fake facades, over-commercialization, and robbery than go for it.
Real easy....The get a better deal on flights, they pack in carry on or chose airlines that don't charge checked bag fees. They take Disney's Magical express to their resort for free and use Disney transportation to avoid paying for a rental car. They purchase multi-day tickets which can reduce your price per day down to as low as $28 and you never pay full price for a room.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom