Is Disney World actually trying to step it up again?

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
They're not; what is bad is when they put money into DVC that could be spent on something else, ie: more rides, when they already have plenty of properties.

A Disney Vacation Club resort should pays for itself in a matter of a couple of years and than start returning revenue to Disney that can be spent elsewhere. So Disney Vacation Club is returning money to the parks at a much greater rate than any other investment. Do not blame Disney Vacation Club for the fact that Disney is not putting more of the profits back into the parks. Bottom line is Disney Vacation Club is a cash cow for Disney and it is up to Disney on how to send the profits.

cba

Yes, I believe WDW is slowly starting to "step it up again". Slowly. From what I've seen, SDMT looks great, especially the animatronics. In case you haven't seen the on-ride videos, I would recommend you do. As expected, it was short and non-breathtakingly thrilling, but instead fun and very nicely themed. And although I have to wait until 2017 (Seriously WDI?!), Avatarland seems very cool. Also, with Tom Fitzgerald as the new Creative Head of Epcot, we could be seeing Epcot start heading in the right direction, starting with the Soarin' refurb.

Pocahontas

They're always trying to improve, whether in small or large ways.

The fact is, not everybody will like or agree with their new ideas. You just can't please everyone. People will always complain about something.

But, I think Disney knows what it is doing and will continue to change for the better.

Their quality standards are becoming more prevalent, though, which is great.

kap91

A Disney Vacation Club resort should pays for itself in a matter of a couple of years and than start returning revenue to Disney that can be spent elsewhere. So Disney Vacation Club is returning money to the parks at a much greater rate than any other investment. Do not blame Disney Vacation Club for the fact that Disney is not putting more of the profits back into the parks. Bottom line is Disney Vacation Club is a cash cow for Disney and it is up to Disney on how to send the profits.

My only problem with the vacation club is that they keep building stuff and I'd like to see certain things at WDW remain undeveloped. For example there's been on again off again plans for building a dvc near river country - which outside of the damn four seasons is just about the worst thing that could happen to ft. Wilderness and bay lake. And while I don't hate bay lake tower in itself - it's location and dissymmetry it adds to the contemp sucks. The grand fla dvc is fine though.

I just kind of feel there's too much being built outside if the already developed areas of WDW - or that the potential is there at least. Can't dvc's be built where they won't intrude on anything - like by the wwos or coranado springs? Nothing that can be ruined over there.

If you haven't noticed I'm bitter about the four seasons and golden oak intruding on ft. Wilderness and that previously unknown and untraversed part if property. And while it's not dvc the motivation behind it was the same.

And in California adventure. DVC construction took up one of the last parcels of land that could be used for easy expansion. I mean it looks great and if I was member I'd probably be thrilled.

How about more dvc's like Aulani and the others that aren't attached to Disney parks? I'm sure plenty of people would love it and it's add a lot more value to the membership. Especially if they started building a bunch overseas.

BigTxEars

Give it time...once people get back to work on Monday my predictions are the proverbial poop will hit the fan. I really do not want to comment myself on a topic so open ended....but will watch from the shadows with great interest... MUWAHAHAHAHAAA!

Time will tell but I am not seeing anything like that occurring so far. Honestly it's hard to say that WDW is not stepping up with the new things and the new things on the way. Rather or not it's enough is open to debate but the fact that they are stepping it up really is not IMO.

Magenta Panther

All they would have to do to gain more of my attention is to spend less time/money on the resorts, espeically DVC. I know work is being done in the parks but not enough for my liking.

I completely agree. TDO needs to realize that what draws people to WDW are the ATTRACTIONS, not the freaking hotels! When I go to WDW, I usually stay at a value resort or off-property, because I'm there to see the parks, not sit in a hotel room! It ticks me off to see Disney spend so damn much on vacation rental properties and so little on the whole point of a so-called Disney vacation. Does TDO think that Florida itself is the main draw for tourists? If so, fail. I mean, Florida's nice, but weather-wise, and natural-beauty-wise, it's no Napa Valley. If the Parks weren't in Florida, I wouldn't visit Florida at all, probably (except for Universal). I don't go there to surf and lie around on beaches. There are other, better, less buggy and sweaty places to do that!

Personally, I am happy with what Disney has been doing recently. I stayed at Bay Lake last month and it was a really enjoyable hotel and the view of the fireworks was nice. The DVC expansions of GF and Poly are exciting. I can't wait to stay at the GF and I will reserve judgement on Poly when it is finished. New FL is really nice and more like what I feel it always should have been, 7DMT looks to be a solid and awesome centerpiece, and the new night shows are really stepping up. Overall, I am pretty impressed. It almost makes up for TT 2.0...

BacchusStoppus

I completely agree. TDO needs to realize that what draws people to WDW are the ATTRACTIONS, not the freaking hotels! When I go to WDW, I usually stay at a value resort or off-property, because I'm there to see the parks, not sit in a hotel room! It ticks me off to see Disney spend so damn much on vacation rental properties and so little on the whole point of a so-called Disney vacation. Does TDO think that Florida itself is the main draw for tourists? If so, fail. I mean, Florida's nice, but weather-wise, and natural-beauty-wise, it's no Napa Valley. If the Parks weren't in Florida, I wouldn't visit Florida at all, probably (except for Universal). I don't go there to surf and lie around on beaches. There are other, better, less buggy and sweaty places to do that!
I think you need to take some tranquilizers. You are way too excitable.

CP_alum08

First, Disney Vacation Club is not for everyone, but those that do not want to stay there should thank Disney Vacation Club Members for the money they add to the Disney Parks. Still, here we go again on complaining about Disney Vacation Club. Disney Vacation Club is a cash cow for Disney. They can build resorts and have them paid for by the people staying there. Every Disney Vacation Club resort on park made big bucks fast for Disney. Disney Vacation Club brings large numbers of people to the parks every year. Disney Vacation Club members spend millions on food and souvenirs at the resorts and parks. Moving members into rooms that they pay for frees up rooms for other guest to stay on the park without Disney having to pay to build more resorts. As long as they can sell more Disney Vacation Club timeshares, then they take nothing away from Walt Disney World and just add millions for Disney to spend on other things. The only thing that could hurt Walt Disney World is that Disney Vacation Club had large numbers of timeshare points sitting unsold for long periods of time. That is not happening.
That's great, but there are still less DVC members in the parks than not. I don't know what the split is, but I can assume DVC guests make up considerably less than half the guests in the parks at any given time. And that small percentage is still getting more attention than anything else right now.

I have no problems with DVC in general, it's the emphasis the company is putting on it that I have an issue with.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
I'm to scared to believe there actualey going to do Epcot any favors. I think the new hub design looks great even you know it's a big change. Animal Kingdom is finally joining in with the rest of the gang. I mean it's been a lousy 14 years for Disney World bu they cant just let the parks rot like this forever.

rkelly42

I have no problem with DVC members, but I do have to say almost all those who are members would still be going and spending money if there were no DVC.

ParentsOf4

That's great, but there are still less DVC members in the parks than not. I don't know what the split is, but I can assume DVC guests make up considerably less than half the guests in the parks at any given time. And that small percentage is still getting more attention than anything else right now.
Including lockoff rooms (i.e. a 2-bedroom villa that can be split into a 1-bedroom villa and studio), there are about 4300 DVC rooms at WDW. These run at very high occupancy rates; somewhere around 95%.

For comparison, WDW has about 24,000 non-DVC rooms owned and operated by Disney . These run at about 76% occupancy rates.

Excluding Disney hotels, there are about 117,000 hotel rooms in the Orlando area, running at about 71% occupancy. This includes about 39,000 on International Drive, and another 36,000 in Lake Buena Vista. This does not include home and condo rentals, many of which are located along 192. Note that many staying offsite do not visit WDW theme parks.

WDWDad13

They're not; what is bad is when they put money into DVC that could be spent on something else, ie: more rides, when they already have plenty of properties.

DVC funds do not come out of the new attractions budgets... besides the ROI there is very quick to take place

Chef Mickey

WDW specifically has experienced a dry spell the last 15 years or so, not that it has hurt attendance or profits. I think that's precisely why things have not been improved more quickly. If it aint broke, don't fix it, don't improve it, and don't change it. This is unfortunate. I'm a broken record, but we have the wrong CEO (Iger) if we are expecting an Eisner Disney. I honestly think Iger just wants to milk the parks as much as possible, spend the least amount, and bring in a new crop of visitors who don't know any better.

I do think Disney is still doing things right on many fronts and is a great place to go with your family. Like everyone, I wish there would be more new content, updates to existing attractions, new shows, and more restaurants. New Fantasyland with SDMT now open is a welcome addition of space and new attractions. Perhaps Avatarland will give AK a boost (how could it not) and they can do something cool with Star Wars at HS.

My biggest gripe is that the great rides they do have do not get the love they deserve. I know it all costs money, but putting some update dollars into existing attractions would be cheaper than completely starting over. I really don't like them running stuff into the ground and then completely wiping the slate clean. You usually end up with a worse attraction than before. You see this happening with COP, Great Movie Ride, Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room, and Buzz.

That all said, I do think we have a myopic view of reality on these forums, myself included. Disney is still a great park. Clean. Fun. Detailed. Family Oriented. Great content. It's why you and I keep going back.

Last edited:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
All the gang are here. Its fantastic that Disney are doing basic care and maintenance than any major facility owner would consider normal. Well done them. I would answer the question more fully but since Im at a loss owing to the definition of the phrase "step it up", if its quality well that patchy, cleanliness the same, food, nope thats dropped, attractions, well I still think we are in a deficit from a few years ago. Stepping up no, marking time / treading water would be closer to my appraisal, but we can take that as not a decline, fantastic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom