Is Disney unlikely to invest in buidling a "land" again?

Rich T

Timeline:

Mid-Late 90s - Animal Kingdom cuts its major land "Beastly Kingdom"
Mid-Late 90s - Imagineers move to Universal to help with their "Islands of Adventure Park"
Mid 2000s - Disney does not meet JK Rowlings demands for the Potter IP
2010 Harry Potter Land Opens at Universal, using many of the same Imagineers as 'Beastly Kingdom'
Disney makes a deal with the Avatar IP holders after Harry Potter Land's Success
2012 - Disney Acquires Lucasfilm
2014/2015 - Disney approves the plan for Star Wars Land (competing with Universal)
2016 - Pandora opens and attracts record crowds for Animal Kingdom
2019 - Galaxy's Edge Opens with half of its intended rides and fails to attract large crowds (as of yet)

My question is. If this attendance trend continues. What will Disney blame?
1) Overall Reduced Tourism Trend
2) Brand Fatigue in Disney
3) Brand Fatigue in Star Wars
4) Billion Dollar lands are too expensive for the RoI
5) Ticket Prices are too high

The reason I bring this up is that after thinking about it, I believe that Disney is going to blame their own spending on Galaxy's Edge instead of looking at the other underlaying problems (General Admission Prices). I don't believe Disney will recognize the damage they have done to the Star Wars brand as well as to their own parks brand.

I believe we are about to enter another period similar to the early 2000s where Disney is going to only invest in cheap rides. I really enjoy Galaxy's Edge as a theme park fan, but I think the era of the Mega Lands is going to come to an abrupt end and all those proposed lands for Tokyo and Paris are about to be slashed.

I further wonder if the rammifications are farther reaching and if Universal is still going to pursue Super Nintendo World.
You left out Cars Land, which was a smash hit and turned DCA into a respectable park (temporarily).
I'm not expecting much in any way from the current Disney management. I'm fine if they build no more lands for now. Fixing TL should be their top priority at this point.

None of this will have any effect on Universal building Super Nintendo World, especially since it will be a cornerstone of their third Orlando Park. The rides in Hollywood and Japan are already underway.

Last edited:

britain

Perhaps, though I'm sure management will be sure to never build stuff like DCA 1.0 again.

Slightly off topic, I find it interesting that at ThemeParkStop, Alicia says Universal is putting out surveys, trying to suss out if people want full lands devoted to recreating a particular IP, or more general theme lands that can contain IP specific attractions.

There seems to be some worry at Universal that HP was an anomaly, a perfect storm of storytelling that meshed ideally well with rides & shopping, and that winding back to a Magic Kingdom-style "X-land" may be just fine (ie. less expensive / more flexible for the future) as long as people still feel that the experiences are immersive enough.

Carsland seems like it wouldn't 'work' if it wasn't the precise recreation of Radiator Springs that it is. However, Disneyland doesn't need an Indiana Jones Land in order for the Indy ride to essentially feel like it's in one.

But don't tell those "I want the REAL Mos Eisley Cantina from Tatooine" people that.

Last edited:

danheaton

I think it may depend on how things go with the upcoming attractions (TRON, Ratatouille, Guardians, Marvel at DCA, etc.) Disney has already committed to all of those, so I don't think Galaxy's Edge will change that investment. Beyond that will depend on a variety of factors including how the economy is doing. We'll also have to see how SWGE does in Florida and ultimately in CA once Rise of the Resistance opens.

SuddenStorm

The lesson that should be learned is Don't Mess with Star Wars. Batuu is not Star Wars.

No, the lesson that should be learned is Don't Mess with Disneyland. Batuu is not Disneyland.

Disney designed and built a land that intentionally ignored what makes Disneyland great, and the crowds didn't come. Basic design and storytelling principles were ignored. Actual substance was ignored for fluff lingo and design to give the impression of depth.

Not to mention the myriad of changes made to Disneyland's pricing structure in anticipation for Galaxy's Edge since 2015. And the Stardust alterations present throughout the rest of the park, harming Disneyland's beauty to anticipate crowds that haven't shown up.

Instead of building a real D ticket attraction with depth and intriguing design, we got a half hearted video game that both seeks to distance itself from the original trilogy, but also rely on that nostalgia for it's appeal.

Instead of designing a land that's intended to integrate and improve Disneyland's mythology, we got a land that ignores the rest of the park in an attempt to create more 'immersive' storytelling.

The rest of the park are lands intended to reside within Disneyland, USA. It's why you see it written on the Twain for example. Galaxy's Edge is intended to reside on Batuu. This is confusing and disjointing. It also causes guests to hold the land to a different standard- many idiosyncrasies present throughout Disneyland are ignored because, well, Disneyland! It's the identity of the park, and it's why the park is beloved. Galaxy's Edge won't get this same luxury, and because of this- the land will be far less charming than what's been built before.

I'm speaking for myself only here, but I'd take 2014 Disneyland with Fantasmic, the longer river, and planters+curbs any day over the 2019 iteration of the park.

Mac Tonight

I tend to disagree. IF the new Star Wars Land was Themed to the original Story Land and Characters, I think you would have had a higher positive response. And of course, the original fans on average, have a higher income and can afford the current admission fees.
I don't know...
I'd like to see a survey of guests who even know that they're going to a planet called Batuu instead of a place they call Star Wars Land.

DanielBB8

The reason I bring this up is that after thinking about it, I believe that Disney is going to blame their own spending on Galaxy's Edge instead of looking at the other underlaying problems (General Admission Prices). I don't believe Disney will recognize the damage they have done to the Star Wars brand as well as to their own parks brand.

I believe we are about to enter another period similar to the early 2000s where Disney is going to only invest in cheap rides. I really enjoy Galaxy's Edge as a theme park fan, but I think the era of the Mega Lands is going to come to an abrupt end and all those proposed lands for Tokyo and Paris are about to be slashed.

I further wonder if the rammifications are farther reaching and if Universal is still going to pursue Super Nintendo World.
Where to start? Star Wars has deeper issues. The sequel trilogy & Solo are examples of Disney killing the golden goose. They had one job and they screwed the Porg. They gave us Galaxy's Edge with First Order/Resistance when people rather have the Empire/Rebellion.

Disney doesn't own Tokyo. Paris is another issue. They should revisit their plans for Paris when they can still make a course correction.
I don't know...
I'd like to see a survey of guests who even know that they're going to a planet called Batuu instead of a place they call Star Wars Land.
How about a survey that they would rather visit Tatooine.

SuddenStorm

I don't know...

I wonder how much of this confusion is a problem. How many times have I seen Galaxy's Edge referred to as a 'land' or 'attraction' or 'ride' or 'park' online? I imagine it's incredibly confusing for someone who doesn't follow this stuff to know exactly what Galaxy's Edge is.

I mean, It's the Black Spire Outpost that takes place on the Planet Batuu, which is the new land Galaxy's Edge located in both Disneyland Park and Disney Hollywood Studios, that's also referred to as Star Wars Land o_O

britain

I don't know...

This.

The message is "Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge". The marketing is "Fly the Millennium Falcon" with it looking like it's straight out of the OT (radar dish notwithstanding).

Batuu? What's Batuu? I see ads for a cantina, I see kids hugging Chewie.

They ESSENTIALLY ARE marketing it as a OT land. And if RotR was open, you can bet they'd show that AT-AT money shot over and over.

Mac Tonight

Where to start? Star Wars has deeper issues. The sequel trilogy & Solo are examples of Disney killing the golden goose. They had one job and they screwed the Porg. They gave us Galaxy's Edge with First Order/Resistance when people rather have the Empire/Rebellion.

Disney doesn't own Tokyo. Paris is another issue. They should revisit their plans for Paris when they can still make a course correction.
How about a survey that they would rather visit Tatooine.
Not really my point.

I'm saying that people in their minds think of SWL as "SWL", not "Batuu". Its the same way that when people say to themselves "let's go to Pirates" instead of "Let's go to New Orleans Square". The proper name of the place is inconsequential to the average guest. But there are far too many other threads to air my grievances about SWL as a whole...

DanielBB8

This.

The message is "Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge". The marketing is "Fly the Millennium Falcon" with it looking like it's straight out of the OT (radar dish notwithstanding).

Batuu? What's Batuu? I see ads for a cantina, I see kids hugging Chewie.

They ESSENTIALLY ARE marketing it as a OT land. And if RotR was open, you can bet they'd show that AT-AT money shot over and over.
Star Wars fans know they are marketing Star Wars Land at Batuu. It's in every article. They aren't ignorant. It's not OT land. They know the difference.

Darkbeer1

I don't know...

But the survey needs to be from NON-guests, asking them why they are not visiting Disneyland as a destination this summer.

Yes, pricing and scared of extra large crowds will be two main responses. Also a large percentage who just don't like Theme/Amusement parks in general.

But if a question was, would having Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, Princess Lela, C3P0 and R2D2 doing character visits, entertainment, featured on attractions, etc. help influence you to visiting the park, I think you would have many positive responses.

DanielBB8

Not really my point.

I'm saying that people in their minds think of SWL as "SWL", not "Batuu". Its the same way that when people say to themselves "let's go to Pirates" instead of "Let's go to New Orleans Square". The proper name of the place is inconsequential to the average guest. But there are far too many other threads to air my grievances about SWL as a whole...
Again, people are not ignorant. It's not generic Star Wars Land. If it were, they would start with a desert landscape and it could be a stand-in for Tatooine & Jakku. Batuu doesn't resemble anything from Star Wars, thus Galaxy's Edge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom