Is Disney unlikely to invest in buidling a "land" again?

smile

distance itself from the original trilogy, but also rely on that nostalgia for it's appeal

a derivative ethos has been standard operating procedure at the walt disney company for quite some time, nearing fever pitch here in the late iger era
... unsurprising it bubbles up and manifests in a franchise mishandled so wonderfully - the lucas folks, largely, have no idea what they're doing and only an inkling of what they've done.

James33

I don’t necessarily think that bad theming or the lack of moss was the reason for a lower than expected attendance. It’s just a combination of things that caused it to be the perfect storm. Because of most locals being blocked out, increased ticket prices, talks of a crazy packed park, RotR not opening on day 1, and the fact SWGE will also open in DW just 3 months later probably deterred typically summer guests from coming. Many are not interested in spending really high ticket prices only to be met by record crowds, and still miss the biggest attraction of SWGE.

George Lucas on a Bench

I predict that all future lands post-Marvel will be slapped together from an existing land like Pixar Pier. The whole saga of why they even demolished the Bug Land and are constructing a 100% new Marvel land rather than just converting the Hollywood Pictures Backlot area is kinda interesting.

the.dreamfinder

I predict that all future lands post-Marvel will be slapped together from an existing land like Pixar Pier. The whole saga of why they even demolished the Bug Land and are constructing a 100% new Marvel land rather than just converting the Hollywood Pictures Backlot area is kinda interesting.
The underdiscussed story here is how WDI can’t manage a budget and that being a limiting factor in what management/BoD will trust them with.

SW got this much money because, as has been addressed earlier, the core fans are in their late 30s/40s and have money to spend. But is what we’re getting really worth over a billion dollars a pop?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Bug Land was demolished because it finally reached depreciation.

You got years and years waiting for Pixar Pier to go away until the money they wasted on it is written off the books and it recoups its value based on a percentage of gate tickets.

It takes a completely broken attraction (Flying Tires) or completely horrible one (Superstar Limo) for there to be an immediate write-off.

eddie104

Walt Disney Imagineering today is so far removed from what Imagineering was, Disney should rebrand them as "Disney Creative".

What we have today isn't worthy of the Imagineer title- it cheapens it and demeans the old WED designers and the second gen Imagineers who carried the tradition.
You guys are so hard in the current imagineers like they are the sole problem.

eddie104

They run way over budget and consistently deliver mediocre projects.

In addition, a number of creative decisions unrelated to budget are poorly done.
If that's how you feel then I can't change that but I feel like a lot of these issues are not solely WDI fault and rest a lot on upper management and the decision makers who approve these projects. Sure you can nitpick certain details here and there however to say they deliver consistently mediocre projects is disingenuous at best.

Janir

This thread shows how toxic the fanbase really is. Despite being from the sequel trilogy, which I'll admit has its problems, the land is beautiful and really evokes a Star Wars feeling that I cant get over. The architecture, the Stormtroopers roaming, the Cantina, and hopefully RotR too. It's easily one of the best things to happen to the franchise since the OT.
I agree the land is beautiful and will be awesome and I cannot wait to go next year and the year after when I go with my Star Wars gaming buddy (we go back to collage eons ago and still game Star Wars RPG together) I'm looking forward to the second trip to actually plan a role playing session for him as it will be his FIRST WDW visit and this 1st look at SWGE. I plan to incorporate some land ideas into an old story line that should be as ton of fun for the both of us. (Old Rebel cell leader making contacts with the new resistance)

I'm not saying Disney made bad horrible story lines for Batuu or the new movies, but they did box themselves into a corner having to reinvent the wheel and try to make something new that they were just assuming the old fan base would just be ready to come for the ride, with out making a decent bridge for the gen 1 ( original trilogy) and gen 2 (those that grew up with clone wars as their movies).
For all the Lucas bashing after the Episodes 1-3 he managed to at least make a decent bridge back to the Episodes 4-6 even if the gen 1 didn't like a lot of the stories execution.

George Lucas on a Bench

For all the Lucas bashing after the Episodes 1-3 he managed to at least make a decent bridge back to the Episodes 4-6 even if the gen 1 didn't like a lot of the stories execution.

tenor.gif

shambolicdefending

If that's how you feel then I can't change that but I feel like a lot of these issues are not solely WDI fault and rest a lot on upper management and the decision makers who approve these projects. Sure you can nitpick certain details here and there however to say they deliver consistently mediocre projects is disingenuous at best.
To me, it's clear that the level of perfectionsim WDI had in both showmanship and guest experience has really slipped.

I think there used to be a believe that the imagineers were so good, nobody could produce something as comforable and enjoyable as them, even with the same budget. I don't think that's true anymore.

Harry Potter was a warning shot on the creative side. I'd argue that Knott's has been beating the heck out of Disney on the guest experience side for some time now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom