Is Disney Spings worth a visit?

Beholder

Had a small 4th of July, spur of the moment kind of thing, visit to Pop Century, EPCOT and Disney Springs. Maybe because it was just my little family, the "joy" of being relatively spontaneous, but I personally loved it. Was a tad disappointed Planet Hollywood wasn't complete, but that's minor. I enjoyed the new look, architecture, details, and overall "vibe", if you will. Yes, it's shopping and eating, but that's not unexpected and when I'm there, it's what I do. Too much of both! I think they've done a wonderful job, the cast members and non Disney staff were fantastic, a very noticeable police presence and for the most part, a lot of happy people. I enjoyed myself and look forward to the next visit. To sum it up, yes, too me, it was very much worth the hours we spent in the Springs.

BigRedDad

It depends on what you are looking for. It is broken up in sections...at least that is how I view it. You have the original Disney section, followed by the over priced restaurants, bars, and name brand stores, then the entertainment side. For me, we like the original Disney side. I do not need to see a bunch of stores with $100 pairs of flip flops, $200 t-shirts, or $500 grocery bags. The restaurants are nice, but the prices are high. You can go 3 miles further up the road, get better food, and save 50%.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
An outside mall you can get anywhere else. Not worth it in my opinion other than the Disney side. Even then....that's up in the air.

Although a British store opened up yesterday. I would visit that.
Meh superdry isn't all that in reallity

Disneyhead'71

The shops do nothing for me. Shopping is right up there with a good teeth cleaning on the fun scale IMO.

The restaurants are fantastic, but pricey.

216bruce

I'll wander it in January when we are there, but will likely go to Raglan Road for a meal, browse Art of Disney and one or two other places and go "meh". It's just retail and eateries nicely planned.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
It depends on what you are looking for. It is broken up in sections...at least that is how I view it. You have the original Disney section, followed by the over priced restaurants, bars, and name brand stores, then the entertainment side. For me, we like the original Disney side. I do not need to see a bunch of stores with $100 pairs of flip flops, $200 t-shirts, or $500 grocery bags. The restaurants are nice, but the prices are high. You can go 3 miles further up the road, get better food, and save 50%.
I'm actually in the market for a $200 t-shirt, which shop specifically would I find that in?

To the OP Disney Springs is just like anything- some will like it some won't. Even if you don't like to shop it's a nice new place to walk around and all the old stuff in the marketplace is still there so nothing has been lost.
Personally, I like to shop and would be FAR FAR more likely to spend money in the town center than in the marketplace. I certainly seem to be the minority here but for me there is just more value there. I'd pay $100 for a pair of shoes at Free People, Vince Camuto or Lucky Brand but never $100 for a Mickey Mouse big fig or other dust catching knick knack at Art of Disney. There are plenty of high (over)priced Disney items in the marketplace. The men's tshirt at 28&Main are $40 and there are also the Dooney & Burke and Vera Bradley bags ($100's+). I don't see the value in Disney branded merchandise, particularly the clothing. It's sized far too large and the quality just isn't there.

jmenjes

For me, it is, to see what's in World of Disney, the pin station, and the Christmas shop.

(And the chance to pick up an extra 15,000-20,000 points from capping Munzees ain't bad either... :cool:)

LadyBelle

In the Parks
No
I'm excited to check out Disney Springs. Some (or most, if not all) of these shops that they have are not close by to where I live, so if I find something that is within my budgeted spending for my trip, I might pick it up, because I may not get it elsewhere, or have the funds available to purchase it at a later time.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
There is a Basin White at Grand Floridian... like a higher end Basin with some stuff from the Disney Springs store but also some exclusive stuff. Worth checking out if you are a fan.

Oh, I'm very familiar with Basin White at the GF. They just don't carry the particular bath bomb I like. But I did get a nice bath brush and body lotion my last visit. However, they wouldn't accept the gift card I purchased from the Disney Springs shop as a gift for my daughter. We both are addicted to Basin. :D

betty rose

I was never fond of Downtown Disney, so I have not been there in years. My last visit was when we stayed at POR. Downtown Disney is easy to visit from POR. However, the buses from other places are not that convenient. If I ever have an entire day with nothing to do on a future trip, I might check out Disney Springs. However, the place is huge,, and I am not really much of a shopper.
I'm not a shopper, but we usually stay at Saratoga Springs. It's close, so we go at least one day. I'm not a sit down diner, and I like getting some pretzels, a cupcake at the gluten free and dairy free bakery, (fit's my issues). I can do some gluten, but no dairy. I want to try the poutine. The deluxe burger is so good, as are the fries.

Mr. Moderate

On my last trip this past May, I finally relented and gave Disney Springs a fair shot and spent a fair amount of time there. I'm not into shopping, but my wife and I were pleasantly surprised by the whole atmosphere.The best part for me was trying the Boathouse for the first time and Gibson's Steakhouse which owns and runs this establishment, blew Disney dinning out of the water, imho. We liked it so much that a large group of friends we knew that were having dinner at WL, canceled their plans on my advice and we moved the party to the Boathouse and everyone was pleased. I'll admit that I was a big critic of Disney Springs being built and thought way too much time and resources were spent there, when Epcot and other places needed the help more. I still think that somewhat, but have softened my stance and plan on going there more often.

Missymoe4

IMHO, if you have down time, then its worth a look-see.
Personally, I wouldn't take time out of exploring a theme park or hotel to go to DS.

thomas998

Been a few years since we have been to Disney. I was wondering what people think about Disney Springs. What kind of things are there to do for families? Are there any quick serve restaurants that people enjoy? I kinda remember it as being a lot of shopping and stores. We are staying at POR and saw they have a boat ride that could be fun.
Thanks
Depends on what you enjoy. If you are looking for stores to buy Disney stuff in then its great because you can find most anything Disney sells in one of the stores... But honestly for food, its like going off-site but with Disney inflated prices.... I would probably not recommend it for food because if you are going off-site you have better and less expensive option all over the area.

We used to go there each trip years ago just to do a day at Disney Quest because it was air conditioned and was pretty much like a day of rest during a trip... I know Disney Quest is still around but I wouldn't recommend anyone go there because they have let the games completely go to poop with probably close to half having something on them broken, and the VR games are not that good compared to what you have with just a Xbox and Kinetic....

My suggestion is if you want to find Disney stuff to buy then its a decent place to stop but otherwise it really is just a waste of time.

disneyfirstLJ

It is worth the visit for us. We really enjoy eating at The Boathouse, Earl of Sandwich and Splitsville. My daughter and I love the pin store, Once Upon A Toy, World of Disney, The Christmas Shop, The Art Store, The Co-op Market Place and Basin to name just a few things. I am so looking forward to seeing it with all the new things open. We usually go on our travel day and one other night during our stay. If you don't like to shop and eat then it might not be for you but we love both of those things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom