Is disney parks and resorts for sale?

CaptainShortty

Don't you think its a little strange that it was so secretive? Why wouldn't disney want to promote their CEO being out and about in the parks.

When I was working at DAKL he stayed in the Presidential Suite. It's always under wraps when he's here. They try not to make a big deal about it so he's not bothered.

MerlinTheGoat

If we can take anything from this information is that viva napoli probably has good food.

It's Via Napoli just so you know. And yes, i was surprised to find that the food is quite good (and i've eaten a lot of great Italian food, especially where i live)!:animwink:

maxairmike

I really can't imagine the outright sale of the domestic parks would be on the table. However, I can see a significant/controlling interest possibly being in play, or perhaps the Prince is feeling out things at WDW he is interested in bringing to Paris/the Middle East. A Disney park (very customized to the region and culture, of course) is about the only thing I could see bringing back true legitimacy to the development of places like Dubai right now.*

Lee, you've mentioned that sale of the parks has been discussed out in Burbank. Could you just give even a cursory "yes or no" to if you know if they were "serious" discussions, or just passing comments that really had not much behind them?

*When I first found out about Dubai, my immediate reaction was that it will fall flat on its face almost as fast as it springs up, and I think that has been mostly right. Development has stalled and may even be moving backwards, with a whole host of plans put on indefinite hold or cancelled. However, even in the current climate, I think Disney could be about the only thing that would have a chance of stimulating the development of the area again.

bugsbunny

Selling an already established Disney icon that is on American soil? Well, it would be sacrilegious, but anything is possible these days. Look what happen to Anheuser Busch. Family run for 150 years, but when $50 billion comes knocking, you open that door right up!

wannabeBelle

Very doubtful, if you ask me. The Disney parks and resorts have always been the most profitable part of the entire Disney portfolio. Why sell the cash cow?? Doesnt make much sense if you ask me. Have a great day and a Happy Fourth of July Weekend!!! Marie

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Some of the conclusions being drawn over there and conspiracy theories they've mapped out rival the 9/11 truthers and fake moon landing people.

Lee

Adventurer
Lee, you've mentioned that sale of the parks has been discussed out in Burbank. Could you just give even a cursory "yes or no" to if you know if they were "serious" discussions, or just passing comments that really had not much behind them?
More than passing comments, but nothing like opening it up for bids, either.
It was discussed internally, and with some Wall St. types. Kinda like just exploring the pros/cons of a potential sale of all or part of the division.

Steve, does this "Spirit of 74" know you personally? He doesn't seem to like you very much.
Hah!
They don't know each other...but it would be fun to get them in the same room!:ROFLOL:

Mr Bill

So...Disney's NOT going to sell the parks just to let them plummet in value and then buy them again to do the same thing?

maxairmike

More than passing comments, but nothing like opening it up for bids, either.
It was discussed internally, and with some Wall St. types. Kinda like just exploring the pros/cons of a potential sale of all or part of the division.

Hah!
They don't know each other...but it would be fun to get them in the same room!:ROFLOL:

Ok, that sounds very positive to me...for the moment. I'm always interested by how they portray and spin the P&R numbers in their statements. Sometimes I get the impression they're trying to shuffle things to hide weaknesses, and other times they just generally seem...disinterested. Of course, corporate language is by necessity very vague and incomprehensible everywhere you go.

EDIT: Also, just thought of this. In a company the size of Disney, credit lines are not usually distinguished between parts/divisions for public release and general knowledge. I wonder if they may have over-leveraged for the recent activity across the board lately (both FLEs, Shanghai development, DCA improvements, HK, etc.), and are courting the Prince for some increased temporary investment? With companies like SFI and FUN (I follow their financials closer than Disney's) being solely parks-oriented, a cursory look over their numbers can give you a good idea if they're over-leveraging without needing the explanations given in the reports. Disney's consolidated and condensed reporting do not give those same insights, and it can be difficult to figure out on just the raw cost numbers for each expansion, as the credit lines are often a bit more complex.

Lee

Adventurer
So...Disney's NOT going to sell the parks just to let them plummet in value and then buy them again to do the same thing?

I would find that highly unlikely. A Disney Store fiasco type thing doesn't happen often.
Although, that very thing has been joked about internally...

GrumpyFan

Just my own speculating here, but this could just be a sales pitch seeking new investors for the parks. I hate to throw this out recklessly, but it could be for a new land or attraction or maybe a new hotel, not necessarily on property, like a DVC. Other options could be the prince is looking at building his own Disney property is his country. We just don't know, and the options are numerous, but I don't see selling the US parks being one of them.

Rosso11

Very doubtful, if you ask me. The Disney parks and resorts have always been the most profitable part of the entire Disney portfolio. Why sell the cash cow?? Doesnt make much sense if you ask me. Have a great day and a Happy Fourth of July Weekend!!! Marie

I wish that was true but it's not. The parks are far from the most profitable division of the company. Wall Street is all about growth and the Parks division has little growth left, at least domestically.

mgf

Especially in the current business/political climate, I cannot imagine a situation in which Disney sells the controlling stake of the US parks to a foreign investor - let alone a Saudi. The realities of the geopolitical situation just do not support this particular business deal. I would argue that there are few companies that, to the average household, are as quintessentially "American" as Disney, particularly the parks. Even if the financials made perfect sense, the resulting PR fallout would be an unmitigated disaster for the company, the parks, and likely the shareholders. Imagine the headlines like "Disney sells Main St USA to Middle East." There are other reasons that I think this would become a political football, but at the very least I would expect significant protests from the governors of FL and CA. In short, if true, this story is truly too big to have slipped under the radar, only to be discovered by internet fan websites.

gardenia

Don't you think its a little strange that it was so secretive? Why wouldn't disney want to promote their CEO being out and about in the parks.

All VIP visitations are secretive! Seriously! We were at AKL when Brittany Spears was there and never knew until after we left.

JustInTime

God I hope that doesn't happen. I really feel like Disney Parks should be left alone and in Disney's hands. Even if they don't keep it up like they should. It just doesn't feel right.

Btw, what are the odds of just selling off one park? Like is they JUST sold Animal Kingdom or something. Or allowed another Park in be developed in WDW that they don't own? Or a Resort or an attraction???

maxairmike

Especially in the current business/political climate, I cannot imagine a situation in which Disney sells the controlling stake of the US parks to a foreign investor - let alone a Saudi. The realities of the geopolitical situation just do not support this particular business deal. I would argue that there are few companies that, to the average household, are as quintessentially "American" as Disney, particularly the parks. Even if the financials made perfect sense, the resulting PR fallout would be an unmitigated disaster for the company, the parks, and likely the shareholders. Imagine the headlines like "Disney sells Main St USA to Middle East." There are other reasons that I think this would become a political football, but at the very least I would expect significant protests from the governors of FL and CA. In short, if true, this story is too big to have slipped under the radar, only to be discovered by internet fan websites.

This as well. Disney has to know something like this would be pretty much domestic suicide, and even if it is for even a large minority investment, they'd have to tip-toe their way around it. Every news outlet outside of ABC would be frothing at the mouth for the kinds of headlines they could run with if a Saudi Prince invests any significant amount in the domestic parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom