• Yes

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • No

Votes: 19 29.7%
  • It depends

Votes: 23 35.9%

• Total voters

dreamfinder

That's a tad too black and white. We have run the numbers each and every trip with the DDP and we, up until now, have used it every time. The difference was usually a $350 savings by using the DDP. So, by your analogy we threw away a $350 pack of fries. :rolleyes:

People should still run the numbers to see if it benefits them to use the DDP. Look at the menus, see what you think you would order, tally it all up (plus tax), and see how much the savings would be. If the savings are less than $100 to $150, or no savings at all then skip it and pay out of pocket. Simple. But skipping one item is not going to throw your DDP into a waste.

For the day? It usually will unless you always order the most expensive thing on the menu. $34.99 for QSDP for 2 entrees, desserts, and non-alcoholic drink and one snack. If you do the combo at Cosmic Rays twice (one of the more expensive CS meals) at $14.19 each, two desserts at $3.59 each, two sodas at $2.59 each, and then a Mickey bar at $3.50, it costs you $44.24, so you would save ~$9 on the QSDP that day. However, it you chose to order say the chicken nuggets at $8.19, and a 1/3 bacon cheese burger at $9.19, with rest of your food choices that day the same, your total for the day would be $33.24, or a LOSS of $1.75. The average cost of an entree at Cosmic Rays is $9.25, and BoG for lunch is $8.85, and Pecos Bills is $8.68. So assuming you eat somewhere in the middle, you do just about break even. Maybe even get ahead a smidge. But skipping that dessert, or sharing a soda, suddenly you are $3 bucks in the hole.

Lets look at the regular DP. $51.54/$53.54 for 1 TS entree/dessert/drink, 1 CS entree/dessert/drink and 1 snack. So assuming you go non peak, at $51.54 per day. Sticking with our MK examples from above, say we do lunch at the CP at $26.62, and then the same combo from Cosmic Rays at $14.19, $3.59, $2.59 and our Mickey bar at $3.50 our total is $50.49. So we lose money again. If we swap the meals, do dinner at CP for $39.40, and lunch at Cosmic Rays, then it's $63.27. So you do save $12 bucks. If instead of CP you happened to luck out an have a BoG dinner ressie, eating the steak at $29.99, with $3.99 cupcake and $2.99 soda, you still come out $9 ahead. But if you don't get the most expensive choice, and say instead get salmon, it's only $20.99, so basically breaking even at $51.84. And suddenly we are back at the skip a single item, or choose not to order a dessert, and you lose money. Never mind if instead of going with the Cosmic Rays combo and we instead order the nuggets.

Trying to pick examples to show both good and bad. If you try to game the system, and order pretty much the most expensive item on the menu, you can definitely come out ahead. But at the same time, if you choose to eat less, or skip an item, you will almost definitely lose money.

(All prices from the current AllEars menu pages)

Even if those "accurate numbers" from allears.net are right and a child is $35 , than the cost of Chef Mickeys would be $161.58.

Where are you seeing $35 for a child? I see Adult price range: $41.53-$45.79; Child (ages 3-9) price range: $20.23-$22.36 from here -> http://allears.net/menu/menu_cmk.htm for dinner, and Adult price range: $30.88; Child (ages 3-9) price range: $17.03 from -> http://allears.net/menu/menu_cmb.htm for lunch. That would be $136.30 for dinner, not your $161.58. These prices match what Steve has posted here on WDWMagic as well here -> http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining/chef...2011-chef-mickey's-restaurant-dinner-menu.htm

hiptwinmama

I am basing the pricing on what we pay every year. It is very rare to get a character meal for less than $24-$35. You may be basing that on lunch prices which are less than dinner.

PolynesianPrincess

When we went in September, we booked free QS dining with the upgrade to TS. I don't remember how much the upgrade was but we had to go through the menus and pick out everything we wanted to eat for our meals so we could determine if the free dining would be worth it or if it would be better for us to use our TIW card and a room discount. We had to buy a 2 day base ticket with the free dining but we already had AP's we were using. In the end the DDP was about $50 more for us but, that $50 included the refillable mug (which is normally like $13 or so) and a 2 day base ticket (which is $187.44) so in the end we actually came out $150 ahead with the DDP because now we have our 2 day base ticket to put towards our AP in May. But I digress.

Anyway, you really should sit down and plan where you would eat each day and what you would order. Because if you're not going to order the expensive things, or skip a dessert here or there as people have pointed out before, it's not worth it. It can be a pain to plan out all your meals, but we do it before every trip just so we can know what to take for food money, souvenir money, etc.. We're glad we tried the dining plan but normally we never order dessert with our meals. The DDP was A LOT of food and we probably will stick to the TIW unless the DDP is offered for free again.

hiptwinmama

Sure.. you can loose money on the dining plan, but if you plan how to use it you can also save money. For example, my husband is a VERY picky eater so he gets a steak at practically every table service. Me, I love fish so I'm going for the expensive fish items.

Look, I'm not trying to cause a conflict, but you have to admit that if you work the dining plan in your favor you can save a a good bit of money. Many of you are saying it's not worth it and for you and it might not be, but for those of us who tend to order the most expensive thing on the menu and who do a lot of character meals it is a great deal.

hiptwinmama

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Sure.. you can loose money on the dining plan, but if you plan how to use it you can also save money. For example, my husband is a VERY picky eater so he gets a steak at practically every table service. Me, I love fish so I'm going for the expensive fish items.

Look, I'm not trying to cause a conflict, but you have to admit that if you work the dining plan in your favor you can save a a good bit of money. Many of you are saying it's not worth it and for you and it might not be, but for those of us who tend to order the most expensive thing on the menu and who do a lot of character meals it is a great deal.
You are quite correct. If all you do is compare food to dollars you can make out quite well on the dining plan. All you have to do is order the one of the top 2-3 highest priced menu items from the dinner menu or hit the character meals at dinner and you are ahead of the curve.

But as they say, the devil is in the details. If you do not typically eat in that fashion the picture gets a little blurry and the savings can begin to erode. If you are like me where my 19 year old daughter still orders from the kids menu, you no longer get into the character buffets, or you are hit or miss on getting dessert the DDP just does not work out in the end.

This is why I always say to run the numbers for your particular situation. Math never lies.

jmb2676

We have done trips recently both with and without the DDP. We are DVC members, so we don't qualify for any free dining promotions. We found that the only way that it made sense was to order the most expensive items everywhere we went. Doing that, we came out a little ahead for the week. Our last trip was without the DDP and we were just as happy eating what and when we felt like it. Only had 2 reservations for dinner with a larger group of family and just winged it the rest of the time. We used gift cards that we bought at our local grocery store which also got us discounts on gas. In the end we ended up spending just a little less than the DDP would have cost us, and had the added bonus of not having to schedule a meal every day. I should add that we are 2 adults with no kids so we can skip the character meals.

G00fyDad

For the day? It usually will unless you always order the most expensive thing on the menu. $34.99 for QSDP for 2 entrees, desserts, and non-alcoholic drink and one snack. If you do the combo at Cosmic Rays twice (one of the more expensive CS meals) at $14.19 each, two desserts at $3.59 each, two sodas at $2.59 each, and then a Mickey bar at $3.50, it costs you $44.24, so you would save ~$9 on the QSDP that day. However, it you chose to order say the chicken nuggets at $8.19, and a 1/3 bacon cheese burger at $9.19, with rest of your food choices that day the same, your total for the day would be $33.24, or a LOSS of $1.75. The average cost of an entree at Cosmic Rays is $9.25, and BoG for lunch is $8.85, and Pecos Bills is $8.68. So assuming you eat somewhere in the middle, you do just about break even. Maybe even get ahead a smidge. But skipping that dessert, or sharing a soda, suddenly you are $3 bucks in the hole.

Lets look at the regular DP. $51.54/$53.54 for 1 TS entree/dessert/drink, 1 CS entree/dessert/drink and 1 snack. So assuming you go non peak, at $51.54 per day. Sticking with our MK examples from above, say we do lunch at the CP at $26.62, and then the same combo from Cosmic Rays at $14.19, $3.59, $2.59 and our Mickey bar at $3.50 our total is $50.49. So we lose money again. If we swap the meals, do dinner at CP for $39.40, and lunch at Cosmic Rays, then it's $63.27. So you do save $12 bucks. If instead of CP you happened to luck out an have a BoG dinner ressie, eating the steak at $29.99, with $3.99 cupcake and $2.99 soda, you still come out $9 ahead. But if you don't get the most expensive choice, and say instead get salmon, it's only $20.99, so basically breaking even at $51.84. And suddenly we are back at the skip a single item, or choose not to order a dessert, and you lose money. Never mind if instead of going with the Cosmic Rays combo and we instead order the nuggets.

Trying to pick examples to show both good and bad. If you try to game the system, and order pretty much the most expensive item on the menu, you can definitely come out ahead. But at the same time, if you choose to eat less, or skip an item, you will almost definitely lose money.

(All prices from the current AllEars menu pages)

Don't try to backtrack. What you said was....

If you eat to the plan, and exactly to the plan, you can save a few bucks. But deviate one bit, and you will lose money. Don't want a soda with your CS meal? That negates any savings you had for the day. Forget to use a snack? Or throw away some of your fries because 2 orders was too many? You wasted money. I think you can still do well with deluxe, but you need to be able to eat 3 TS meals in a day, and not worry about getting many rides/shows in during the day.

And that statement is completely false. If I get the dining plan and eat food from places that will cost the exact amount that the DDP cost me per person per day then threw away a soft drink then yes, I would be out a whopping $2.89. Wow. If I save $350 for a trip by using the DDP (which I typically have been able to do in the past) and I don't get my soft drink then I am not losing money on the plan. Plain and simple. For you to lump everyone into this mold that says that if they get the DDP then don't take one offered item they will lose money is just plain absurd.

ArtieJim

If it's free I'll get it. No harm, no foul. I'll still go about my trip eating where I like and paying what I have to, but if Disney wants to give me however many QS and snack credits for booking a room with them than thank you, I'll take it.

hiptwinmama

This topic always makes me cringe because people get so crazed about it, like the few posts above. It's a very simple answer like most have said already, price it out. For some it's worth it and for some it isn't, it is that simple.

Thank you... that is the point I was trying to make. For us, we save a lot. Others might not. It's all in how you use it.

G00fyDad

Thank you... that is the point I was trying to make. For us, we save a lot. Others might not. It's all in how you use it.

I agree. That is why this next trip will be done without it. The only way we'll take it this next trip is if it is free. This will be the first time since they have offered it that it will not save us money.

Condorman

The DDPs are no longer worth it, not any one of them, not at any time of the year, no matter how you do the math. Anyone who "believes" they are saving money is only calculating the costs using the a la carte prices had they been paying OOP. But those prices are purposely and grossly inflated just to make the DDP look more attractive.

In 2010, we went to WDW on the DxDP. It was $72 a day. In 2013, the peak DxDP will be around $102 a day -- $30 more, and for that you get how much more? Nothing. Not a thing. It's the exact same plan it was three years ago only now it is $30 more. In 2010, the lobster at Narcoossee's was $52. Now, it's $65. Exact same lobster, but because they raised the price, you believe the DDP will save you money when you order it. Wrong.

Yes, there was a time when the DDP was an amazing deal and totally worth it. Now, it's a joke and a shame that people are still buying into it. And I laugh when folks say they like the idea of paying for everything in advance. What about the gratuity and alcoholic beverages? If you still have to pay OOP for anything, any convenience is lost.

One last example: You go to the grocery store where they're running a sale that says BUY 4, GET THE 5TH FREE. But you only need two, and could save the price of two by only purchasing what you need. Well, like the DDP, people are buying the four to get the fifth one, Disney makes out like a bandit, and you're made to feel like you conquered the culinary world. I guess ignorance is bliss. Enjoy your bliss.

G00fyDad

The DDPs are no longer worth it, not any one of them, not at any time of the year, no matter how you do the math. Anyone who "believes" they are saving money is only calculating the costs using the a la carte prices had they been paying OOP. But those prices are purposely and grossly inflated just to make the DDP look more attractive.

In 2010, we went to WDW on the DxDP. It was $72 a day. In 2013, the peak DxDP will be around $102 a day -- $30 more, and for that you get how much more? Nothing. Not a thing. It's the exact same plan it was three years ago only now it is $30 more. In 2010, the lobster at Narcoossee's was $52. Now, it's $65. Exact same lobster, but because they raised the price, you believe the DDP will save you money when you order it. Wrong.

Yes, there was a time when the DDP was an amazing deal and totally worth it. Now, it's a joke and a shame that people are still buying into it. And I laugh when folks say they like the idea of paying for everything in advance. What about the gratuity and alcoholic beverages? If you still have to pay OOP for anything, any convenience is lost.

One last example: You go to the grocery store where they're running a sale that says BUY 4, GET THE 5TH FREE. But you only need two, and could save the price of two by only purchasing what you need. Well, like the DDP, people are buying the four to get the fifth one, Disney makes out like a bandit, and you're made to feel like you conquered the culinary world. I guess ignorance is bliss. Enjoy your bliss.

Welcome to economics. ;)

drp4video

I have never done the dining plan. DD and I split meals a lot as well as eat off sight on occasion as we do get little tired of disney QS food. If we go for a week we may only eat two table service meals. I always did the math and it just didn't pay. I suppose if we ate more table service then it might make sense as I have dropped over $100 at Kona for two..although that included those huge pineapple drinks which aren't on the dining plan anyhow.

G00fyDad

I have never done the dining plan. DD and I split meals a lot as well as eat off sight on occasion as we do get little tired of disney QS food. If we go for a week we may only eat two table service meals. I always did the math and it just didn't pay. I suppose if we ate more table service then it might make sense as I have dropped over $100 at Kona for two..although that included those huge pineapple drinks which aren't on the dining plan anyhow.

Yeah, see, for you the DDP plan just wouldn't cut it. If I were you I wouldn't turn it down if it were free. Then you could have a more open list of options to choose from. But if you had to pay for it, judging by the amount of Disney food you eat, then it would never pay off to get the DDP.

DisneyDebNJ

We did the Deluxe Dining Plan once... and only once. For my family, it was wayyyyy too much food. The reason we like the standard dining plan, is I like having everything paid for before heading down on vacation. Plus, I like having ADRs, I base my day on where we plan to eat that day. (It kind of ensures me that the must dos while at Disney are done/seen/experienced) If we decide to do a Signature Restaurant, we pay OOP, as much as I love the food at Disney, I don't think any restaurant is worth 2 credits. If you break down the cost, thats more expensive than a dinner at Ruth Chris.

Fantasmic

For me, personally, for the UK's special free dining, yes.... we "upgraded" to the DDP from the QSDP for around £70pp... for 2 weeks, it's fantastic, takes all the stress out of having to pay for food and whatnot. 2013 we're going to use the QSDP only, and not be tied down to all the ADRs! (we'll prob make 2 and pay OOP)
If I had to pay out of pocket.... I probably wouldn't use it, and I'd end up staying offsite (DDP is one of the reasons I stay onsite)!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom