Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Lilofan

I wonder how much of this is due to the loss of 30 year ride techs that knew every wire, nut, bolt and personality of the rides?
With the pandemic exodus they may have lost talent that can't be replaced anytime soon. No one left to pass on the knowledge so it is lost.
One would think a company like Disney that is known for promotion from within with a few ride techs progressing to foreman then eventually entry level to mid to senior level management would know similar to the 30 year cast member doing the same role for many years.

drizgirl

I wonder how much of this is due to the loss of 30 year ride techs that knew every wire, nut, bolt and personality of the rides?
With the pandemic exodus they may have lost talent that can't be replaced anytime soon. No one left to pass on the knowledge so it is lost.
Or maybe Disney let them go first because they made more than their younger counterparts? How are you going to keep making$250 million flops if you don’t squeeze every penny possible out of the only profitable segment of the business?

Thepuma

Just to confirm...attendance is definitely UP compared to any previous years.

We've been coming to Animal Kingdom for 6 years and visited about 50 times...when we get to the park 1 hour before opening we've previously always been about 6 or 7 people deep in the queue. Today we are here 1 hour before as usual and we are about 200 deep and into the parking lot.

Anyone who says the parks are quieter are just downright lying...they are busier than ever certainly busier than we have ever seen them by quite some margin too...and we have been in December before Xmas...its busier than even that.

BuddyThomas

Just to confirm...attendance is definitely UP compared to any previous years.

We've been coming to Animal Kingdom for 6 years and visited about 50 times...when we get to the park 1 hour before opening we've previously always been about 6 or 7 people deep in the queue. Today we are here 1 hour before as usual and we are about 200 deep and into the parking lot.

Anyone who says the parks are quieter are just downright lying...they are busier than ever certainly busier than we have ever seen them by quite some margin too...and we have been in December before Xmas...its busier than even that.
My condolences to you for having to spend three weeks in such a nightmarish hellscape. 🙄

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I can't wait to see the spinning when they start jettisoning major components of the company like ESPN and ABC, and shutter The Disney Channel family of channels.
What spin? It's already happening.

In the Charter dispute, Disney's attitude to missing the opening of the NFL season was to advertise "Hey Charter folks, if you want to see NFL? Subscribe to Hulu!" In the end, the final deal means certain linear channels of Disney are no long carried on Charter 'cable.'

Iger also mentioned that ABC (the linear channel/stations, not its contents, he later clarified) is "not core" to TWDC.

Linear TV is actively dying. Cord cutting rates are accelerating. Being replaced not only with subscription Video on Demand but with ad-tier cheap or free subscriptions or with FAST, which is basically thousands of linear streams with ads and are free. IOW, what used to be 'free' TV.

Thepuma

My condolences to you for having to spend three weeks in such a nightmarish hellscape. 🙄
I wouldn't say nightmarish...id say just a much poorer experience for much greater outlay...to the point where you have to question if its worth it.

I just feel I have to portray the reality of how busy the parks are jist to make sure people aren't duped into thinking they are quieter...as some people may take the false 'disneys quiet' at face value.

People need to know the truth.

JoeCamel

I wouldn't say nightmarish...id say just a much poorer experience for much greater outlay...to the point where you have to question if its worth it.

I just feel I have to portray the reality of how busy the parks are jist to make sure people aren't duped into thinking they are quieter...as some people may take the false 'disneys quiet' at face value.

People need to know the truth.
I hear Paris is lovely this time of year

Thepuma

I hear Paris is lovely this time of year
Done it 5 times...time to move further afield...(Paris is a 50 minute flight from where I live)

Tokyo, Canada and Australia are up next for us.

I've heard Tokyo Disney Sea Park is supposed to be the best in the world. I wouldn't think the Japanese will allow their park to get like the Florida parks...we shall see.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Or maybe Disney let them go first because they made more than their younger counterparts? How are you going to keep making$250 million flops if you don’t squeeze every penny possible out of the only profitable segment of the business?
You may need to look at union contracts. There is a saying - newly hired first one fired..

Lilofan

Done it 5 times...time to move further afield...(Paris is a 50 minute flight from where I live)

Tokyo, Canada and Australia are up next for us.

I've heard Tokyo Disney Sea Park is supposed to be the best in the world. I wouldn't think the Japanese will allow their park to get like the Florida parks...we shall see.
Japanese work ethic and cleanliness compared to USA is like day and night. Not only in the parks but in local communities. In Japan there are very few trash cans on the streets. It is expected and locals comply they carry their trash to their home to deposit . That would never happen here.

el_super

Read The post again. A nine year low, they are paying for it. Shareholders don't like losing on their investments. They are not exactly being pleased right now. I said they are already paying, not that they should. I would love to explain to you in private messages if you would like to continue this, because you are reading things that no one here stated. Be done with it.

So they should pay more? It's a simple question really? It's weird that you can't answer it.

Attractions opening on time is an amazingly complex process involving hundreds of people from multiple fields all working together, but sure, let's go ahead and boil it down to a simple "Disney just needs to spend more money." A simple and easy way to try to win an argument without ever having to examine the consequences of that position. Congrats on solving it. Maybe you should work on the deficit next, or maybe world hunger?

Lilofan

Oh I’m not defending the financial stewardship of the company. Within parks, they turn a huge profit. The operational costs should be used to provide a basic level of maintenance.
$48B in company debt and growing. One would think profitable divisions within a company , any company would help pay down the debt, but let's just spend more money...🙄

eliza61nyc

$48B in company debt and growing. One would think profitable divisions within a company , any company would help pay down the debt, but let's just spend more money...
OT
Lol after 35 years bouncing between 3 major oil and chemical companies, I can safely say, they rarely pay down debt.

Lilofan

Lol Paris is one of my absolute favorite cities but with the summer Olympics coming next year, I'd stay far away. I was checking for next May and prices were already 20% higher at the 3 hotels that I bounce between. 🤯🤯
If I had a place in Paris I would move out for a month during the Olympics and rent out my place for a high price and some will pay .

eliza61nyc

If I had a place in Paris I would move out for a month during the Olympics and rent out my place for a high price and some will pay .
I don't know Lilo, 😄 one year the pope visited Philadelphia and I had this grand idea of renting out my spot. I live in center city. The work involved in schlepping stuff out made me give that up. Whew

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
$48B in company debt and growing. One would think profitable divisions within a company , any company would help pay down the debt, but let's just spend more money...🙄
Disney's been unloading their long term debt continually since the Fox purchase and Pandemic high.

Long term debt by quarters...

1694614270373.png

celluloid

So they should pay more? It's a simple question really? It's weird that you can't answer it.

Attractions opening on time is an amazingly complex process involving hundreds of people from multiple fields all working together.
Your last sentence reads like the laziest PR machine I have ever seen. You could replace the word Attractions with Hatbox Ghost and try and justify why the figure won't be ready until November over a year after the figure was completed and announced.
I am glad Universal Studios, Tokyo Disney, Legoland, Cedar Point, Busch Gardens, King's Island and even Six Flags occasionally have a better track record at this complex process than EPCOT and Hollywood Studios! We are not talking about random downtimes and inclement weather. Current management can't do it. That is what you are saying. That is what people here are saying.

Something can be complex and still be a "well oiled machine."

Relating a theme park's neglect and change of upkeep standards and operation to world hunger in complexity is on brand insane for you.

Maybe.... here's a wild thought... maybe it's not all about the money? Maybe?

What would it be about? You keep saying someone has to pay the cost for it to get better. Someone has to pay is your mantra. So now you place a question that it is about something else? What else? If you are going to debate the thought that upkeep does not have to get better, be consistent in your attempt.

Last edited:

JD80

…as most 9 year olds are

But to be fair and has been pointed out: they haven’t raised the fees for kids that much now

2019 standard plan:
$75 for adults, $28 for kids

Family of four about $225
$1575 for the week

2024 standard:
$95 for adults, $30 for kids

Family of four $267
$1870 for the week.

Plus tips - of course. Cause Jay rasulo said neither the waiters nor the customers wanted those included.
Why would they?
Same with appetizers 🤐
Adjusted for inflation, that 1575 number is 1921

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom