Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
America likes to keep up with the Joneses… and the Joneses are currently not going to Disney for MANY of the reasons above….
Disney has to get the Joneses to start coming back - but question: Why are we (Disney nerds) acting as if lower attendence is a bad thing again???? Seems like we of all peeps would be thrilled with this turn of events!
Personally I think a lot of us want lower crowds when we go, but the reason we aren’t thrilled about it is because of some of the why like cost and complexity to experience a wdw vacation vs how it was pre Covid.

…and lack of expansion/attractions to keep up with the crowds and make the lines less everywhere

TheMaxRebo

America likes to keep up with the Joneses… and the Joneses are currently not going to Disney for MANY of the reasons above….
Disney has to get the Joneses to start coming back - but question: Why are we (Disney nerds) acting as if lower attendence is a bad thing again???? Seems like we of all peeps would be thrilled with this turn of events!

As someone with a trip coming up next month I am selfishly very glad about the potential for low crowds

But do also know the negative effect it can have on the CMs and how much they are scheduled for and also just if this impacts the company's bottom line that isn't necessarily great if it leads them to cutting more expense

On the flip side I do think crowds in 2019-2022 were too high for the capacity the parks could deal with so for guests, in the short term, this is a positive

Tha Realest

As someone with a trip coming up next month I am selfishly very glad about the potential for low crowds

But do also know the negative effect it can have on the CMs and how much they are scheduled for and also just if this impacts the company's bottom line that isn't necessarily great if it leads them to cutting more expense

On the flip side I do think crowds in 2019-2022 were too high for the capacity the parks could deal with so for guests, in the short term, this is a positive
They weren’t paying CMs when things were great revenue wise

Disstevefan1

Personally I think a lot of us want lower crowds when we go, but the reason we aren’t thrilled about it is because of some of the why like cost and complexity to experience a wdw vacation vs how it was pre Covid.

…and lack of expansion/attractions to keep up with the crowds and make the lines less everywhere
Totally agree with your points, but these changes were going to happen anyway and Disney used the pandemic to put them in place sooner. Lack of attractions will always be the case, as the theme park business has budgets and return on investments they must track closely (unlike the movie business that is allowed to lose money on almost all projects).

It is what it is and we might as well enjoy less crowds while it lasts.

DopeyRunner

The contract the cast got is good, starting wage for entry level parks $18. TSA at MCO which is more stressful, entry level is not even $18 per hour.
Do we have numbers on hours being cut back though, or just here-say? Getting an hour rate bump is great for them, but if they’re averaging less hours per week, it’d be easy for them to walk away with less.

DopeyRunner

Make up the lost income by driving for Uber.
I mean, can’t we say that about everyone accounting for lost wages and the impacts of inflation? Just get a side gig, start a “passive income” gig, etc? I was more interested in whether the strike got a higher wage and the company responded in kind with an hours reduction that would eliminate their gain…

Lilofan

I mean, can’t we say that about everyone accounting for lost wages and the impacts of inflation? Just get a side gig, start a “passive income” gig, etc? I was more interested in whether the strike got a higher wage and the company responded in kind with an hours reduction that would eliminate their gain…
Responded in kind? or staffing operations based on business needs etc. As Iger mentioned in a recent CNBC interview, company looking at " cost structure ".

MaryJaneP

Is it just as simple as replacing the words "stock price" for every instance of the use of "cost structure" and applying an inverse relationship in every pronouncement from TWDC and Bob in particular?

Remember when WDW was known for having a plethora of CMs that were all trying to outdo one another in providing the guests with ever higher levels of service. Maybe the sheeple have rejected the staffing reductions or echoed the staff reductions with attendance reductions.

Can't imagine reserving a hotel room where there is every other day housekeeping.

Is lower attendance a result of increased costs, increased temperatures, or reduced services?

Normally you get what you pay for, now WDW is the proof of the falsity of that myth.

Lilofan

Is it just as simple as replacing the words "stock price" for every instance of the use of "cost structure" and applying an inverse relationship in every pronouncement from TWDC and Bob in particular?

Remember when WDW was known for having a plethora of CMs that were all trying to outdo one another in providing the guests with ever higher levels of service. Maybe the sheeple have rejected the staffing reductions or echoed the staff reductions with attendance reductions.

Can't imagine reserving a hotel room where there is every other day housekeeping.

Is lower attendance a result of increased costs, increased temperatures, or reduced services?

Normally you get what you pay for, now WDW is the proof of the falsity of that myth.
Lower attendance is usually reduced services . Did you experience WDW in the following months post 9/11/01? It was not pretty.

Tha Realest

Lower attendance is usually reduced services . Did you experience WDW in the following months post 9/11/01? It was not pretty.
I don’t care. They’ve taken away baseline services over the last few years by invoking “these trying times” only to brag at earnings calls how revenue’s never been higher.

Take more away. I don’t care. I want them to feel the pain. I hope it’s not pretty.

Lilofan

I don’t care. They’ve taken away baseline services over the last few years by invoking “these trying times” only to brag at earnings calls how revenue’s never been higher.

Take more away. I don’t care. I want them to feel the pain. I hope it’s not pretty.
Revenue has been good that's true with all the ways to further extract from guests. You are going to be disappointed in your opinion of Disney's future. Your choice to feed or not feed the Mouse.

Dranth

They will go through some short term problems but long term they will be fine. Industries change and they will adapt or get taken over by someone who will. Before they reach that point the BoD will toss Iger to save their own backsides but I figure they give him at least another year or two as most of the changes he pushed will take time to work through the pipeline. At that point all bets are off and we will see what happens.

celluloid

Because where the Joneses used to go is starting to look like where The Jeffersons were happy to move on up from.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom