Rumor Is Apple about to make the happiest acquisition on earth?

lazyboy97o

Does anyone know what the argument would be in favour of Disney selling off all or most of the parks and resorts division?

Up until the past few weeks, it seems to have been one of the if not the most reliably profitable divisions of the company. Not to mention how important the parks are to the Disney brand. Surely owning a business like parks and resorts where people reliably show up and throw money at them with wild abandon is part of what has set Disney apart from other entertainment companies?
As @Animaniac93-98 mentioned, the parks are incredibly expensive to operate and expand. More specifically, those huge capital and ongoing expenses go into something (attractions) that generate absolutely no direct revenue. It is also a somewhat volatile industry that definitely has its ups and downs tied to the fluctuations of the economy and can be hit by singular global events like 9/11. Walt Disney World can even be impacted by the economy in places like the U.K. or Brazil. Iger also believed it was a mature market that could not be grown.

The original design behind Euro Disney SCA was to let someone else carry those huge initial costs while Disney reaped licensing and operating fees. This strategy was further refined in China where a government carried those costs and not corporate shareholders who were expecting a return. Around this time Universal also started going crazy with announcing new licensed parks in Singapore, Korea, Dubai and Moscow in addition to their existing licensed park in Japan and half-owned park in Orlando. Universal was paid to design the park, paid licensing fees, a cut of revenues, possibly consulting fees but didn’t have to deal with any of the huge capital or operating costs. It was Comcast who realized there was still money to be made in theme parks.

Do keep this tangentially related to Apple, I doubt Iger would have supported the Apple Store. They too are a bad idea to the “it’s a business” and “we have to do what our competition is doing” crowd. They cost way to much to build, they had way too much staff, have almost no shelf space and let people loiter.

Last edited:

Darkprime

I signed an NDA, so there’s only so much to divulge, but what I can say is that I’ve had something to do with Apple TV+ and the company is just throwing ridiculous sums of cash at it and literally flushing it down the drain. I do not see a long term play of Apple in the entertainment business even with the content being king mantra of today. The entire industry is unsustainable with an unprecedented cash burn rate, so we’ll see.

The morning show and maybe for all mankind were the only decent shows on Apple TV+.

Josh Hendy

Or fishing for some of that bailout money.

Ah ha ha ha ha! Told you.

Screenshot_20200322-185536_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200322-185214_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

The Grand Inquisitor

Either way. If Apple and Disney do want to merge they'd be wise to wait post-coronavirus. With everything shut down right now. Last thing governments need is a damn merger to worry about.
I absolutely agree. I do not think Disney and Apple merging should be allowed. Next thing you know there will be only 2 companies left if everyone starts buying every other company.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom