Is Alien Encounter Open this year?

colleen2997

Original Poster
I was at Disney last year and Alien Encounter was closed. Did it re-open? Was it just refurbished or something? I haven't heard any mention of this ride in a while.

Testtrack321

Um, sit down.

It's not around any longer. I know, I know, sorry. They replaced it with a ride that sucks called Stitch's Great Escape.

Disneyfan1981

Welcome to the Boards

Welcome to the boards. And now the punch in the stomach. AE was closed and is gone forever replaced by Stitch's Great Escape. Search that out and see the lengthy conversations about this replacement. I for one am saddened because AE was one of my faves....:cry:

Since1976

Heh, I remember the "punch in the stomach" I got in 2002 when, after a 12-year gap between WDW trips, I walked up to Carousel of Progress and found it closed with no explanation. Only later did I discover it was a seasonal attraction... It's open now, and I hope to finally experience it again later this year.

As for AE -- *sigh* I regret that I only got to see (hear?) it once before it closed.

colleen2997

Original Poster
Alien Encounter Gone? Why does Stitch ride suck?

Wow. I must be out of the loop .I am going to Disney in August and I was looking forward to this ride!!! Why did they eliminate this ride? Why does the Stitch ride suck?

Vernonpush

colleen2997 said:
Wow. I must be out of the loop .I am going to Disney in August and I was looking forward to this ride!!! Why did they eliminate this ride? Why does the Stitch ride suck?
Don't get them started again! :lol:
Do a thread search, It's been discussed quite a bit.

Since1976

There has been no official word about why AE closed, but most fans would agree that it was probably because it was too intense and not really in keeping with the family-friendly atmosphere in the Magic Kingdom.

I would agree with that sentiment somewhat, as there were plenty of kids, some of them experiencing their first Disney attraction EVER, who walked out of that room terrified and never wanting to do another ride!

Perhaps AE's true place would have been at Disney MGM Studios, where it could have been linked up with a famous horror or sci-fi movie.

dixiegirl

Since1976 said:
There has been no official word about why AE closed, but most fans would agree that it was probably because it was too intense and not really in keeping with the family-friendly atmosphere in the Magic Kingdom.

I would agree with that sentiment somewhat, as there were plenty of kids, some of them experiencing their first Disney attraction EVER, who walked out of that room terrified and never wanting to do another ride!

Perhaps AE's true place would have been at Disney MGM Studios, where it could have been linked up with a famous horror or sci-fi movie.

yeah we had that happen with our 8 year old nephew....he got so scared he did'nt even want to go on small world!!! lol

imagineer boy

colleen2997 said:
Wow. I must be out of the loop .I am going to Disney in August and I was looking forward to this ride!!!

*hugs colleen* I miss AE too. It was my most favourite ride at WDW, and they closed it and replaced it with a crappy attraction that never lived up to the exitement of AE. It makes me so MAD!!!! :mad: Oh well, at least I have a chair from the old AE ride that I bought on Ebay to keep the memories alive.... :(

Since1976

This makes me wonder...How long can a ride with such bad reviews last?

After all, Journey Into Your Imagination is still around, despite the deafening groans of its many detractors. Does WDW have a set termination timetable for the attractions that tank, just so that they get their money's worth out of them?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Disneyfan1981 said:
Welcome to the boards. And now the punch in the stomach.
dude, more like kick in the groin............. thats more descriptive of the pain. :eek:

welcome colleen. hope you enjoy your stay.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Once upon a time not so long ago there was an attraction called......

Welcome to the boards. Ouch!! :lol:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Since1976 said:
This makes me wonder...How long can a ride with such bad reviews last?

After all, Journey Into Your Imagination is still around..

They got rid of JIYI in 2002, and replaced it with the current incantation. The 3rd version in 4 years. Now that says something. It says something even more when people still discuss and compare the original 1982 version to JIYI and JIIWF..

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
For you folks who have not been in a while, get ready for another punch in the stomach.....the 20k lagoon was filled in and replaced by a, get this, a Pooh meet and greet.

Disneyfan1981

Now THAT was a bad ride

ScrapIron said:
I think the record is about 8 months with SuperStar Limo at DCA.

Cheers.

While there are a few rides over at DCA that I'm sure will be marked for extinction like Jumpin' Jellyfish and the Orange Stinger, that ride was the worst. :hammer:

ScrapIron

Disneyfan1981 said:
While there are a few rides over at DCA that I'm sure will be marked for extinction like Jumpin' Jellyfish and the Orange Stinger, that ride was the worst. :hammer:

I really, really tried to ride with an open mind despite all I'd heard, like I will with Stitch, but lordy it was awful.

Cheers

lebeau

I imagine the kids will keep SGE going until Stitch's popularity wanes - which could be years. By then, maybe they'll have made the attraction more enjoyable for the non-Stitch fans.

That's exactly what I was thinking!... Anyways, colleen2997, Sorry for all the bad news about AE, you should've been to the boards when Stitch's Great Escape opened!!! :hammer: MAD HOUSE! But, I agree- Stitch's Great Escape does suck. They did a low budget job it seems like... Although I'm a fan of Stitch, Disney could've done a whole lot better... Go experience it for yourself, but I highly wouldn't reccomend waiting in a long line or getting a fast pass for this attraction :dazzle: Hope you have fun at WDW when you go!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom